(the evolution of boxing) Seen someone say.......

P

Peet Cassidy

That "we all know" a prime Lennox Lewis would easily beat a prime Mohamed Ali, because the game has moved on so much. Really? is this the general consensus now, or is this just one guys controversial opinion?

Do yous really think boxing has evolved that much in the last 30-40 years? IF so, in what aspects?

I would probably pick Lennox to win but I wouldn't be willing to put money on it.

I don't think the sport has evolved that much in the last 30 or so years. If anything, it's combatants have gotten larger, but I wouldn't necessarily say "better".

While i do agree that Lewis' style would give Ali some problems, I do not agree that he'd win.

The Ali that knocked out Cleveland Williams would leave Lennox swinging at air......

Sometimes bigger.....just ain't better.....

I dont think boxing has "evolved" anywhere near as much as sports like basketball or football have.

Boxing has evolved in a sense that there are a few new styles and polished older styles. Also, bodies have changed. The Mayweather style of defense is something newer...

What surrounds the sport has regressed though. Different type of world we live in, different values and such. Society can help mold fighters...

A prime Ali vs Prime Louis is a great fight. I don't think Lewis was ever tested with a powerful, fast true HW. Ali never fought someone so large with technical skills. It would be one for the ages....

Lennox would probably win the first fight by sheer size, strength, and jab in a Klitscho-esque fashion. But in following fights, I would take Ali simply because his boxing IQ is off the charts, compounded by sheer psychological power, torqued by a violent ballet.

Lennox had a crazy reach, but Ali had a not bad reach himself. I still think Ali would be too fast for Lennox.

Lewis typically didn't fight at a pace that should lead to him being worn down.
Ali is quicker, but he still have to follow the same path to get in close that everyone else had to follow.
Lennox has got him on height and reach. Lennox would probably keep Ali at the end of his jab. And if Ali tried to get in close he'd have a right straight to deal with, any closer than that he has a right upper cut to deal with.

Lennox typically doesn't get lulled into brawls and typically does keep a fight going at the pace he sets.

Boxing has evolved in a sense that there are a few new styles and polished older styles. Also, bodies have changed. The Mayweather style of defense is something newer...

What surrounds the sport has regressed though. Different type of world we live in, different values and such. Society can help mold fighters...

A prime Ali vs Prime Louis is a great fight. I don't think Lewis was ever tested with a powerful, fast true HW. Ali never fought someone so large with technical skills. It would be one for the ages....

1. What new styles are there, and what old styles have been polished? The shell that Mayweather uses is NOT new.

2. If society has molded fighters, its for the worst right now. No way todays society is as "tough" as it was in depression era times.

3. True that.

Is there a question being posed here in this thread ?

Boxing reached the end point of stylistic development sometime around the 293rd Olympiad in 393 A.D.
1,169 years worth of Olympics to develop forward the best practice of what works best was long enough to do the trick.

You have to figure that if Baseball, Football and Basketball took less than 130 years to get it right, Boxing could do it in 1,169 years.

Of course, there have been some equipment changes which have impacted the direction of development as well.

(That

1. What new styles are there, and what old styles have been polished? The shell that Mayweather uses is NOT new.

2. If society has molded fighters, its for the worst right now. No way todays society is as "tough" as it was in depression era times.

3. True that.

Ok, I didn't know that the Mayweather style has been around as long as you know it has. People have added to the styles of old, polished them their way.

On the second point, that was what I was trying to say. Not that fighters today are not or couldn't be tougher, but alot of the boxers today surround themselves with the wrong people and elements. They value the wrong things, not all do though.

I kind of didn't word my second point very well in my first post. I was aiming to say that society molds fighters, and our society has done a poor job...

comma period than an actual period???????

should have just stuck with the "."

I meant that Ali beats Lennox Lewis and that's all that needs to be said, at least from my perspective. I think Ali is too fast and too good a boxer for Lewis to deal with.

Back