The Etiquette of Trashtalking

FireKidWS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sherdoggers:

I have a dilemma that I now what to make your dilemma.

There is a constant battle in my head between rooting for shittalkers against rooting for the old school respectful fighters.

On one hand, the harsh reality of this world is that most people will more likely watch someone they hate fight than someone they like. Its much easier to talk some shit, get well known, and become famous for being an asshole than for being humble. Its not all easy for the trash talkers, as they do have to work to be creative, and in doing so make more money and gain more fame with better fights.

On the other hand, I appreciate martial artists who live by the old mantra of respecting others, respecting yourself, and respecting the arts. They view trash talking to be counter-productive, and instead choose to treat their opponents with respect.

I am torn because I can see the points of view from both sides. If I was a fighter, it would be a hard choice between becoming a heel for the sake of money, or treating others with respect and maybe never becoming as famous or as rich as others who choose to trash talk.

Finally, shit talking, although it can be funny, can actually damage the real life reputation of different guys. It doesn’t necessarily go away after the two fighters duke it out.

So, are you new school and "trash talking makes money!" or oldschool and "fighters should be respectful"?

What are your thoughts, Sherdoggers?

Really just depends on who it is.

I only enjoy trash talking from fighters like Kevin Lee & Conor McGregor. In rivalries, I like seeing some too (Cruz vs Faber - Jones vs DC)

Colby is okay, but it just feels a bit too forced and cringey most of the time.

Anybody with a language barrier shouldn't be trash talking. Hearing Joanna trash Rose during those 217 press conferences was so fucking awkward

Does strike me odd that guys who fight for a living have to go to Instagram to create beef to sell a PPV.

The pro wrestling shtick will never die.

I think people just want to see personality. Being a stoic kung fu master doesn’t reveal anything about yourself to the paying public, but there are other fighters out there like Sage who have a huge following. Sure he looks like an action figurine, but he’s a wholesome guy so people love him.

the personality just has to be genuine. like conor is a much more natural shit talker than dustin poirier, even though both are very entertaining. it would be really odd and forced to see poirier aggressively shit talk his opponent just like it would be odd if conor pre-fight was just heaping praise.

I don't mind a bit of trash talk if it's real. Never have.

All that fake drama these days is getting on my last nerve though

This Bud is for the respectful old guys:

tankeeabottaho2.gif

Big difference being is that the old guys were legit and the modern day guys are Cross-Fitters that also trane UFC.

My problem is trash-talkers don't go anywhere near far enough, they're all PC cucks.

A fair point.

I hated when McGregor got scared to keep going after Floyd cause he didn’t want to be seen as racist.

Conor of all people turning himself in to the PC police :rolleyes:

I've always been able to say really horrible things about people off the top of my head and with a straight face, guess these fucking fighters are all too well-adjusted/neutered for that.

Conor of all people turning himself in to the PC police :rolleyes:

I've always been able to say really horrible things about people off the top of my head and with a straight face, guess these fucking fighters are all too well-adjusted/neutered for that.

Yeah it was amazing to watch.

Never thought Conor would backtrack like he did

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back