The Essential Guard by Peligro = Awesome

Zankou

Bringing peace and love
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I got this about a week ago, and another poster's post reminded me to sing its praises. This book is *terrific*, all BJJ books should be at this level. "The Essential Guard" completely outclasses the previous books Peligro has been involved with; don't prejudge it by those other books.

It is simply the most straightforward, best laid-out, and most fundamental book on the guard you can get. Covering all the details of both open and closed guard, as well as basic material on spider and butterfly. I can't recommend it highly enough. "The Guard" and "Passing the Guard" are both terrific as well, and well worth getting, but they are at a more complex level.

Definitely worth checking out ....

Agreed, i bought "The Essential Guard" after christmas and its by far the best Peligro book thus far. check PM's Zankou

I'll look into this more....thanks!

Yeah, I'll add my praise for The Essential Guard. I think it's especially helpful for novices and beginners like myself who are still having a hard time getting our heads around all you can do with a good guard game.

Zankou said:
"The Guard" and "Passing the Guard" are both terrific as well, and well worth getting, but they are at a more complex level.

I just received both those books from Amazon today, and I've only had a chance to glance at them. What does Peligro's book have that they dont't? Would it still be worth getting?

It wasn't as great as I thought. I bought "The Guard" by Joe and Ed Beneville and I thought that was better. Quality wasn't as good as the Essential guard but it had more usefull stuff I believe. Still The Essential Guard is good, and I got a few good tips from it.

Orphangrinder said:
I just received both those books from Amazon today, and I've only had a chance to glance at them. What does Peligro's book have that they dont't? Would it still be worth getting?

Peligro's book is more fundamental --- The Guard is more advanced, more of an "all the different moves and combinations" type book. Both are great. I think The Essential Guard is worth getting if you want to work on the fundamentals more.

i will definitlly look into it. but are the books as helpful as the dvds?? i cant imagine they are i was thinking of buying the 3 dimesnions to shoalin dvd

I'll sing it's praises also. Kid does an incredible job of laying out the guard from theory to practice. He covers all essential topics...drills, grips, posture, breaking posture, replacing guard, sweeps submissions, combos. It's really an incredible work, and is certainly the best of the 'Invisible Cities' books.

I would love to see a follow-up book on this subject by Kid.

I picked this book up a couple of days ago. Compared to quite a few others BJJ books, this is a very good one.

1) It has quite a few pages of solo and partner drills
2) It breaks the guard down into very basic concepts (grips, hand, feet positioning)
3) It breaks subs from the guard down and provides combos as well.

Before my last BJJ class, I reviewed the breakdown of the arm bar in the Kid's book. I kept the steps locked in my head, and I came very close to catching a blue in class with it - which is very good for me considering that I never ever come close to catching and armbar in class.

Can't wait to pick it up! All I was waitin on was a little positive feedback. Awesome!

Back