The Era of Cherrypicking Champions: Woodley, Nunes, & Bisping

From time to time I can support an out of left field title challenger but I don't want to see this become a trend. The Mcgregor situation is very different to Woodley and Alvarez. Woodley was extremely fortunate to get his own shot having sat on his ass for well over a year. He is in no position to be calling shots. The same applies to Alvarez who was only on a 2 fight win streak. I had him losing to Melendez and then he fought a very conservative fight to squeak by a faded Pettis. He did not derserve the shot either but credit to both men for taking their chances when presented.

Mcgregor having beaten Aldo dared to be great in challenging RDA. I don't know why so many people had an issue with UFC making a title v title super fight. Obviously RDA pulled out and Conor did the promotion and his own bank balance a favour by taking on a dangerous challenger at short notice rather than selecting the gimme option like Faber. I am not crazy with the UFC giving him the immediate rematch but I am more understanding than I am with Bisping being able to cherry pick his first defense and Woodley and Alvarez attempting to do likewise.

Edgar was coming off surgery when he got the call and couldn't get medically cleared. Acting like he turned the fight down because he was scared or something is just dishonest.

And acting like Conor was ducking Frankie is just as dishonest. The point is that people are running around spreading this myth that Conor is ducking/running from people when in fact he is attempting to take on even bigger challenges and the assertion just doesn't track with known facts.

Conor is ducking the 145 division doing meaningless fights that amount to nothing.

Woodley will be fighting Diaz who is known to bring the fight. It will be great.

Back