The era of "belt stalling"

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by CereserBr, Aug 1, 2016.

1. CereserBr

CereserBr Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Yeah folks, these mofos care more for cheddah than legacy... Conor, Nunes and now Woodley stalling their divisions lookin for them big fights, money makers and shit... I say, can you blame them?
    No, we cant... Friggin MMA is a new sport, and these guys are hungry for dollars... As they should be.

2. Azure

Azure Sherdogology PhD.

So I would say this is true of one of the fighters you mentioned.. Nunes and Woodley haven t had their belts longer than 6 weeks.. Not sure you can lump them with Conor just yet

3. Myrddin Wild

Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

yeah, no doubt... but like all eraz... it will pass.

I don't mind them mixing it up from time to time, but there haz been quite a lot of that lately.

4. Calivornia

Calivornia Purple Belt

I feel like he's got to be trolling. Woodley has had his belt for 2 days and already he's accused of holding up the division.

Obsidian and Sonny Qc like this.
  5. Sonny Qc

Sonny Qc Gold Belt

6. Sonny Qc

Sonny Qc Gold Belt

7. BoosieBoo

BoosieBoo Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I guess wanting to fight GSP at MSG means he's holding up the division

LoL.

8. applesbananas

applesbananas Brown Belt

I remember back when you had to at least defend your belt 3 times to start thinking about superfights.

Moezao, Organic Damage and Balboa like this.
  9. Blayt7hh

Blayt7hh Steel Belt

They can call out whoever they want but at the end of the day it's the UFC that picks who they fight, so I am not about to get mad at the fighters for this.

10. Abazzdeboom

Abazzdeboom Legend in the making

You cant really blame fighters trying to get to most they can get per fight
    If the Ufc let them do this fights, its that there's still some consistency in the matchup
    And if its a "$ fight" it means that a lot of people want to see it, so it goes on both side
    It make fighters making their $ and many fans have the fight they want

11. Balboa

Balboa Brown Belt

True, can't really blame the fighters but I might end up blaming the fans if some fights happen. I do not understand why a fan of mma would rather see Woodley/Diaz over Woodley/Wonderboy.

Diaz has not won a fight since 2011. Why would he be more impelling to watch than Wonderboy?

12. kimocomplex

kimocomplex Red Belt

its just talk, i dont for one second believe Nunes will wait until Ronda does or doesnt return

also Woodley is saying he wants money fights, but the Thompson fight would do well on PPV imo
    now if he is trying to get an easy payday while avoiding a Wonderboy beatdown that is another story

13. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Vantablack belt

Yeah, if this era exists, it is because the UFC allows it by letting fighters behave like they're bigger than the division/sport.

14. bukofezra

bukofezra Purple Belt

Bisping got what he wanted because Dana loves the guy, and after a million years with the UFC, he deserved that money fight. Bisping vs Henderson will sell pay per views. Jacare and Romero would not sell shit!

Having said that, Woodley and Nunes should defend the belt against #1 contenders a few times before making demands...because really, no one knows who the fuck they are....unless you are a hard core MMA fan. I guess that is exactly their point, no one knows who they are, and they know it, so they need a superstar opponent to get them Pay per view points!!!!!!

15. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

Belt holders can say whatever they want but at the end of the day its the UFC that makes the match ups.

16. Diggem

Diggem Black Belt

LOL!!!! You can absolutely lump them together. They are all doing the same thing!

17. Diggem

Diggem Black Belt

Woodley will ask for a buttload more money if they want him to fight no name Thompson instead of getting the big money fight with Diaz or GSP....and Woodley will get big money.

18. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Black Belt

Couture stalled for 2 years because he wouldn't fight anyone but Fedor.

B.J. stalled for more than a year to fight GSP.

Pettis sat out a long time due to injury and when he was cleared to fight again, stalled for another year in order to do TUF.

Velasquez, Aldo and Cruz stalled their divisions for years by training stupid.

This is nothing new. It's only a big deal now because people are grasping at straws for a reason to hate on Conor, who has stalled his division for a total of half a year.

bobafett likes this.
  19. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

Woodley already has a contract paying whatever he negotiated for at that time. While I'm sure there is likely some wiggle room, I hardly believe he can stall out for a lot more pay. He can certainly sit out if he wants to stonewall, but during that time he's not getting purses, he's pissing off the promotion and ultimately he'll have to fight anyway or be in breach of contract. The UFC can also go to their backup tried and true interim belt.

The UFC has spent a long time and a lot of effort to ensure that no fighter gets real leverage on them with only a couple noted exceptions.

20. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

This was bound to happen. The belt is going to become an excuse for a fighter to make super fights,instead of just fighting whoever was supposed to be next,for less money. Its smart for the fighters trying to do it though.