Television The Equalizer (Super Woke Reboot)

I remember one episode that tackled McCall's feelings about his taking lives by his own hands, it was an episode about a murdered young African American teen, he was accidently killed by a group of business owners who ran their own community neighborhood patrol watch who wrongly believed the young man was up to know good and accidently caused his death. To protect themselves, they make it appear he was caught in the commission of a crime and the police believe their claim. But his mother refuses to believe it and calls McCall to prove it. But her other son Eugene wants to avenge his older brother's death and even goes as far as buying a gun from a thug. Luckily McCall arrived and broke it up and confronted the young man about it in a fantastic scene beautifully played by Edward Woodward:

43:12 for scene.

Jesus!!! Is there anything Giancarlo Esposito hasn't been in, lol?

"That is not the way."
mando-2427565.jpg

Excuse me?

It's been a long time since I watched the series, but IIRC, it's heavily implied that one of the reasons for McCall's change of heart is that he went through a near death experience after being badly wounded during a CIA operation. And found himself in Hell.

Another character in one episode was an ex-secret policeman from a South American country who quit after torturing a Catholic priest to death.

"Every day I tortured this man, Robert. And every day, he forgave me"

That said, while not as casual about taking lives as Denzel's Equaliser, Robert would use lethal force if there simply was no other option to protect himself and others. One of the few times we see him really lose his cool is when his own son accuses him of enjoying killing,

"What do you know about the world, boy? And how dare you pass judgement on me!"

What's interesting about Robert McCall is that his backstory as an espionage agent who performed some of the most questionable acts possible for the government's "cause" and for the good of the world is similar to a character Edward Woodward previously portrayed on UK television in the 60's.

Even though there's no official connection between the two shows, my headcanon is that Robert McCall and David Callan are the same person. (in fact the show itself confirms that "David Callan" is a pseudonym and as far as I know we never find out his real name)

What's interesting about Robert McCall is that his backstory as an espionage agent who performed some of the most questionable acts possible for the government's "cause" and for the good of the world is similar to a character Edward Woodward previously portrayed on UK television in the 60's.

Even though there's no official connection between the two shows, my headcanon is that Robert McCall and David Callan are the same person. (in fact the show itself confirms that "David Callan" is a pseudonym and as far as I know we never find out his real name)

They also made a Callan movie, in which Edward Woodward beats David Prowse to death with his bare hands. Which leads to this line from one of Callan's fellow assassins,

"He's(Prowse)your biggest one yet. He must weigh 250lbs at least. If were you, I'd have him stuffed":)

The Callan series was much darker than the Equaliser, and the polar opposite of James Bond. It was more akin to Caine's Ipcress File movies. Intelligence work was portrayed(reasonably accurately)as an often boring and sordid business where even the, "good guys" wouldn't hesitate to use blackmail, torture or even murder to get the job done.

They also made a Callan movie, in which Edward Woodward beats David Prowse to death with his bare hands. Which leads to this line from one of Callan's fellow assassins,

"He's(Prowse)your biggest one yet. He must weigh 250lbs at least. If were you, I'd have him stuffed":)

Yep, I watched the movie a couple of years ago and I only recently found out that thug he killed was Darth Vader('s body) himself.

There was also a TV movie that came out in the 1981.

There was also a series of audio dramas released by Big Finish, best known for their Doctor Who audio dramas and other audio dramas based on UK shows like Blakes 7 and The Prisoner.

These were based on short stories that were published at the Sunday Express in the 70's, which included one based on a full script for one of the lost episodes (sadly due to a common practice by UK studios at the time of destroying originally negatives of episodes of TV programs to save space. That's why we're missing a lot of Black and White Doctor Who episodes) and another based on a script for unfilmed episode.

http://www.itssolastcentury.co.uk/lounge/Television_Shows/Callan/Short_Stories_by_James_Mitchell.php

Now, I heard good things about Big Finish's version but it feels weird not seeing Edward Woodward reprise his role due to the actor's passing.

Big Finish also did an audio version of lost episodes from the first season of the iconic UK spy series, The Avengers as well as the 60's Avengers comic strips.

large.jpg

Yep, I watched the movie a couple of years ago and I only recently found out that thug he killed was Darth Vader('s body) himself.

There was also a TV movie that came out in the 1981.

There was also a series of audio dramas released by Big Finish, best known for their Doctor Who audio dramas and other audio dramas based on UK shows like Blakes 7 and The Prisoner.

These were based on short stories that were published at the Sunday Express in the 70's, which included one based on a full script for one of the lost episodes (sadly due to a common practice by UK studios at the time of destroying originally negatives of episodes of TV programs to save space. That's why we're missing a lot of Black and White Doctor Who episodes) and another based on a script for unfilmed episode.

http://www.itssolastcentury.co.uk/lounge/Television_Shows/Callan/Short_Stories_by_James_Mitchell.php

Now, I heard good things about Big Finish's version but it feels weird not seeing Edward Woodward reprise his role due to the actor's passing.

Big Finish also did an audio version of lost episodes from the first season of the iconic UK spy series, The Avengers as well as the 60's Avengers comic strips.

large.jpg

Before he kills Darth Farmer, there's a scene in the movie where Callan is toughing his hands by grinding them into a bowl of sand.

Another character in one episode was an ex-secret policeman from a South American country who quit after torturing a Catholic priest to death.

"Every day I tortured this man, Robert. And every day, he forgave me"

I remember that scene, from the Season 1 episode, "Reign of Terror". Great episode where McCall had to decide whether to defuse a situation involving a street gang running an entire town through violence or other means.

Back