Television The Equalizer (Super Woke Reboot)

That being said, I'm not exactly a fan of this upcoming reboot although it would be funny if they actually stay faithful to the core of "the vigilante protector of the innocence who would be try to avoid killing if possible" from the original show, that would be something in its favor over the Denzel Washington reboot.

As much as enjoyed those films, Washington's Robert McCall felt too nonchalant about killing people, which kind of goes against the point of the character from the original show, the reason he quit working for the espionage organization was because he was sick of doing the government's dirty work, which included taking lives.

It's been a long time since I watched the series, but IIRC, it's heavily implied that one of the reasons for McCall's change of heart is that he went through a near death experience after being badly wounded during a CIA operation. And found himself in Hell.

Another character in one episode was an ex-secret policeman from a South American country who quit after torturing a Catholic priest to death.

"Every day I tortured this man, Robert. And every day, he forgave me"

That said, while not as casual about taking lives as Denzel's Equaliser, Robert would use lethal force if there simply was no other option to protect himself and others. One of the few times we see him really lose his cool is when his own son accuses him of enjoying killing,

"What do you know about the world, boy? And how dare you pass judgement on me!"

Are we seriously pretending to care about the Equalizer brand?

If it makes it past 3 episodes, that'll be a victory.

"The Equalizer" isn't even this huge franchise that people would even ask for a TV adaptation of, and Queen Latifa is a 90's relic. Who is this show even for?

Old people. Over The Air/network TV is pretty much for old people.

Are we seriously pretending to care about the Equalizer brand?

It's hilarious being triggered over something like this but TBF the original Equalizer was awesome. the whole thing was based around this old unassuming British guy.

they could have just done this show and not called it the Equalizer but I guess they need a hook to capitalize on the relative success of the Denzel reboot.

The only reboot that would literally cause me to do a drive of Hollywood would be Sanford and Son. If those 'no creative ideas left' mutherfuckers that call themselves writers ever even think of a Sanford and Son reboot, I'm gonna firebomb Hollywood.

It's hilarious being triggered over something like this but TBF the original Equalizer was awesome. the whole thing was based around this old unassuming British guy.

they could have just done this show and not called it the Equalizer but I guess they need a hook to capitalize on the relative success of the Denzel reboot.

The only reboot that would literally cause me to do a drive of Hollywood would be Sanford and Son. If those 'no creative ideas left' mutherfuckers that call themselves writers ever even think of a Sanford and Son reboot, I'm gonna firebomb Hollywood.

What's funny, Sanford and Son was already in itself a race-bend reboot of a British sitcom, Steptoe and Son.

So other than the gender swap, is there anything actually "Super Woke" about it?
You mean other than the fact they are switching out a highly trained former black ops operative for a plucky female with a "can do" attitude? No.

Despite the fact that Denzel is currently killing it as Robert MCCall on the big screen. CBS has decided to get woke and reimage the show with a Robyn McCall played by Queen Latifah.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Queen. She's a great actress. This is just downright stupid though.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/the-eq...ment-andrew-miarlowe-terri-miller-1202777114/

Wouldn’t it be be “get awake” or “wake”? Woke is past tense for wake.

The English language gets more and more butchered by the day.

Wouldn’t it be be “get awake” or “wake”? Woke is past tense for wake.

The English language gets more and more butchered by the day.

Just using the trendy vernacular of the times. Apparently I should have gone with feminist. Maybe I'll amend the title so people's grammar panties unbunch ,lol.

Just using the trendy vernacular of the times. Apparently I should have gone with feminist. Maybe I'll amend the title so people's grammar panties unbunch ,lol.

lol right. I know you didn’t invent the term. I actually heard a couple of 20 somethings use that term irl for the first time last week. I just cringed.

It's been a long time since I watched the series, but IIRC, it's heavily implied that one of the reasons for McCall's change of heart is that he went through a near death experience after being badly wounded during a CIA operation. And found himself in Hell.

Another character in one episode was an ex-secret policeman from a South American country who quit after torturing a Catholic priest to death.

"Every day I tortured this man, Robert. And every day, he forgave me"

That said, while not as casual about taking lives as Denzel's Equaliser, Robert would use lethal force if there simply was no other option to protect himself and others. One of the few times we see him really lose his cool is when his own son accuses him of enjoying killing,

"What do you know about the world, boy? And how dare you pass judgement on me!"

I remember one episode that tackled McCall's feelings about his taking lives by his own hands, it was an episode about a murdered young African American teen, he was accidently killed by a group of business owners who ran their own community neighborhood patrol watch who wrongly believed the young man was up to no good and accidently caused his death. To protect themselves, they make it appear he was caught in the commission of a crime and the police believe their claim. But his mother refuses to believe it and calls McCall to prove it. But her other son Eugene wants to avenge his older brother's death and even goes as far as buying a gun from a thug. Luckily McCall arrived and broke it up and confronted the young man about it in a fantastic scene beautifully played by Edward Woodward:

Eugene: I'm gonna get them, I'm gonna blow them away for what they did to Randy and my Mama!

McCall: That is not the way.

Eugene: It's what you do, isn't it? You think I don't know you have a gun under that coat?

McCall: If all I did was blow people away, those men would have been dead days ago. Then who would be the bigger criminal?

Eugene: You're all talk. Sure, you could push people around in an alley but you're really afraid of killing anybody.

McCall: I wish to God you were right, you think it's makes you more of a man to pick up a gun? And take someone's life is THAT what you think?!

*pulls out his gun and points at it*

Eugene: Every time you pull that trigger you see a face. You never, NEVER stop seeing all their faces. Every single one. Every Single One! Never, they are always with you! Now perhaps this is price I have paid but let's say that I have paid it for both of us!

43:12 for scene.

Last edited:
Back