The End of Leonard Garcia's UFC Career?

I agree about there being other featherweights out there I'd like to see in the UFC. With that said, I think Leonard could be a decent fighter if he focused more and punched less. He has decent cardio, which is a huge plus. We can't assume Holloway will beat Garcia. If Garcia's hits him square on the jaw with a haymaker it's all over.

While it's true that Garica MIGHT KO Holloway
'If Garcia hits him square on the jaw with a haymaker it's over" Is absolutely silly.
Last time Garcia finished anyone with strikes was Jens Pulver - 2008 Jens Pulver was at least 3 years removed from the time he should have been in the cage with anyone. Before that it was Takaya which imo was an early stoppage

Dude's power isn't exactly proven, he's dropped some good fighters with his wild strikes but he hasn't finished anyone worthwhile.... ever, except maybe Takaya

Garcia's best chance is probably a submission since he's a better grappler than striker imo, but I doubt he can take Holloway down with any consistency and I question his fight IQ if he does drop Holloway, he won't latch onto back mount and finish it he'll throw wild shots and Holloway will just cover and recover if the ref is competent.

He has quite fine skills, and he had shown them couple of times.

It just appears that in his case, when things get serious and he gets hit in the face couple of times, they mostly go out of the window. He goes amok and starts performing a lot of terrible techniques.

I don't know if what he does can be considered a technique, but you're right. He just gets a little antsy in the pantsy and starts throwing terrible punches while eating a dozen of em.

it doesnt make too much sense logically...but it happens. you ever hate/ignore/not give a chance to a band because you hate there fans?

Nope. It may keep me from hitting up a concert, but I will still bang my head to the album. But I hear you, I can't stand some of the fans of Silva, Rua, Overeem (especially fans of this guy), etc. But I love watching those guys fight.

While it's true that Garica MIGHT KO Holloway
'If Garcia hits him square on the jaw with a haymaker it's over" Is absolutely silly.
Last time Garcia finished anyone with strikes was Jens Pulver - 2008 Jens Pulver was at least 3 years removed from the time he should have been in the cage with anyone. Before that it was Takaya which imo was an early stoppage

Dude's power isn't exactly proven, he's dropped some good fighters with his wild strikes but he hasn't finished anyone worthwhile.... ever, except maybe Takaya

Garcia's best chance is probably a submission since he's a better grappler than striker imo, but I doubt he can take Holloway down with any consistency and I question his fight IQ if he does drop Holloway, he won't latch onto back mount and finish it he'll throw wild shots and Holloway will just cover and recover if the ref is competent.

If he was smart he would be going for submission wins every fight, like you stated he does have a better grappling game. For reasons unknown to man, he refuses to do it anymore though and only swings for the fences. He's dropped several fighters, and I honestly think he'd drop Holloway with a clean shot.

He is an exciting fighter but at some point you're going to have straight up earn some wins. The UFC is the premier organization in the world and he has to earn his spot in it.

He is an exciting fighter but at some point you're going to have straight up earn some wins. The UFC is the premier organization in the world and he has to earn his spot in it.

Or so it claims to be anyways.

If he was smart he would be going for submission wins every fight, like you stated he does have a better grappling game. For reasons unknown to man, he refuses to do it anymore though and only swings for the fences. He's dropped several fighters, and I honestly think he'd drop Holloway with a clean shot.

Garcia's tough enough that I think he'll throw enough punches to eventually land one
But Holloway is a better boxer than KZ and a bit better of an MMA Boxer than Nam (Nam trains too much with big gloves, small gloves consistently find openings in his defense especially when he's retreating off his back foot). Holloway has a smaller career draw safe conclusions about his style than either of the above than either of the above, but from what I've seen he's long, uses his reach well and is adept at punishing guys when they try to come forward. He gets hit a bit but Justin Lawrence >>>>>> Garcia in terms of clean striking.

I like Holloway comfortably on points or late body shots - I dunno, this is just a terrible style match up for Garcia

Realistically Leonard Garcia pretty much lost his last 10 fights lmfao. But due to crappy judging he was given the decision victory.

I dont know, but the ufc is very unstable in their principles. When you win boring fights you wont get cut, when you lose some of the most exciting fights they cut you. But it seems there are some excemptions such as Barry and Garcia. So I dont think they will cut him before he has a 0-6 in a row

Garcia's tough enough that I think he'll throw enough punches to eventually land one
But Holloway is a better boxer than KZ and a bit better of an MMA Boxer than Nam (Nam trains too much with big gloves, small gloves consistently find openings in his defense especially when he's retreating off his back foot). Holloway has a smaller career draw safe conclusions about his style than either of the above than either of the above, but from what I've seen he's long, uses his reach well and is adept at punishing guys when they try to come forward. He gets hit a bit but Justin Lawrence >>>>>> Garcia in terms of clean striking.

I like Holloway comfortably on points or late body shots - I dunno, this is just a terrible style match up for Garcia

While I agree that there is absolutely nothing clean about Garcia's striking, I think he has enough power that if he does close the distance and makes contact with Holloway's chin, he's likely do go down. I doubt it'll happen, I think Holloway is much more refined and should get the decision.

He won 7 fight of the night bonuses and his fight with KZ was the fight of the year in 2010 and is considered as one of the most entertaining fights ever.

Yeah, I can understand the claim that he isn't very good. But claiming he isn't exciting comes across as some sort of pretentious MMA hipster attitude. C'mon kids, you can like heavy-handed brawlers and still be cool.

I hate to say it because I'm just the guy sitting behind the computer and Garcia is the one actually in the cage, but I honestly can't stand his fights. Sloppy haymaker brawl fests, and he throws so many wild haymakers he just spins in a circle half the time from a mile away.

Yeah, I can understand the claim that he isn't very good. But claiming he isn't exciting comes across as some sort of pretentious MMA hipster attitude. C'mon kids, you can like heavy-handed brawlers and still be cool.

Yeah when they have some semblance of technique and accuracy.

Hendo, Wandy, Rampage, Lavar Johnson etc etc
Exciting.

Garcia is as exciting as watching a windmill, everyonce in awhile he hits something but more often than not he's just wildly flailing

I don't know if what he does can be considered a technique, but you're right. He just gets a little antsy in the pantsy and starts throwing terrible punches while eating a dozen of em.

Well, everything is technique - a way of performing some mechanical action... Some techniques are just random and completely inefficient - see most of Garcia's haymakers. :icon_twis

C'mon kids, you can like heavy-handed brawlers and still be cool.

Eh, to be fair I really don't remember last time he had landed something heavy...

In the first Phan fight?

Exciting.

Garcia is as exciting as watching a windmill, everyonce in awhile he hits something but more often than not he's just wildly flailing

I found this pic from one of Garica's early fights against some 0-1 guy named Donald Quixote

gilling_windmills_1968_home.jpg

Perfect fighter for free TV, but he really has to win sometime for the UFC to keep him.

Exciting.

Don't forget Patrick Barry!

Back