The Easiest Way to Learn the Berimbolo (video)

This is awesome. Will definitely show this to a few of my teammates who have trouble putting it all together.

The variations are the crazy part for me, so many options before and after the inversion.

P.s. We pronounce berimbolo the same way lol

The variations are the crazy part for me, so many options before and after the inversion.

You just kinda just work them out. Once you work out how to put in the leg drag and how to dominate one leg it becomes a lot simpler.

Kesting!
You are the best remote bjj instructor in the world. Seriously, no sarcasm. I cannot thank you enough for all that you put out there.
I watched your omoplata DVD years ago. Can't remember much (I was a whitebelt, just starting to get a feel for groundwork), but the sweep is money and I hit it frequently.
I feel like I owe you something. Seriously, pm me and let me know how I can send some donation to you.

I liked and bookmarked the video before I even watched the damn thing, that is how much confidence I have in your instructions.

Cheerio!

Kesting!
You are the best remote bjj instructor in the world. Seriously, no sarcasm. I cannot thank you enough for all that you put out there.
I watched your omoplata DVD years ago. Can't remember much (I was a whitebelt, just starting to get a feel for groundwork), but the sweep is money and I hit it frequently.
I feel like I owe you something. Seriously, pm me and let me know how I can send some donation to you.

I liked and bookmarked the video before I even watched the damn thing, that is how much confidence I have in your instructions.

Cheerio!

Thank you so much Mattemate. Very much appreciated. But your liking the video is all the thanks I need

Kesting!

Cheerio!

Yeah, I've got to second this one. I wish there was some sort of BJJ award for giving back to the community.

I really like Kesting and appreciate the videos/material he puts out. But this one IMO is pretty weak. As a lowly purple I realize that I dont have any authority on the subject but I would like to discuss nevertheless.

Kesting is really low on the leg and stays far away from uke. If you look at Mendes video, they go almost knee on belly to control the pressure. In Kestings video, there is no torque or pressure from the DLR hook to twist/off-balance the uke. I dont like the ankle grab either if there is a possibility to go deeper, directly to smash pass position.

I think that there is a reason Kesting is not hitting this one very often, because it looks like an inversion, without any pressure or control.

On the other hand, maybe it is just difficult to instruct properly when you are inverted...the video shows some good drills on how to practice inversions though.

Honestly I think that inverting directly like is doing Stephan (or even the top players in competition) isn't really for everybody, at least when you really start at first to learn the berimbolo. I used to try it a lot this way in the beginning with mixed results.. maybe it was just me, but I ended up more than once with too much weight on my shoulders-back, or with a physical impossibility to complete the inversion.

Instead, when I tried to re-approach it exactly like Rafa explains in his video (pinning down your opponent with the free knee, go almost on all fours and do a simple shoulder roll), I magically started to hit it a lot more and even when I invert directly it comes more naturally, to me. It feels like it makes you (and your body) understand better the mechanic behind the movement..

No disrespect to Stephan and to his wonderful contributions of course, it's just my personal experience :).

I don't even have the flexibility to do the first drill!

Stephen here shows a simple variation of how the berimbolo can work. It's a base to build off. It's no surprise to me that Stephen, or anyone in the world, could not explain the berimbolo as well as Rafael.

give him a break.

It was a nice introduction to the berimbolo for beginners.

It was never meant to be the ulitmate berimbolo video.

I liked it.

Stephen mentioned there are a lot of other factors like grips, but like mentioned this was just a intro video

Great video Stephen. Appreciate your very informative videos. Even as white belt, I get a lot out of your videos and feel they have contributed quite a bit to the improvement of my game.

give him a break.

It was a nice introduction to the berimbolo for beginners.

It was never meant to be the ulitmate berimbolo video.

I liked it.

Well, this is mainly what I was looking to say. If you can't berimbolo and want to know how, this will teach you a certain standard. Not Mendes standard, but you could do it.

I don't even have the flexibility to do the first drill!

You don't have the flexibility to invert? You should really work on that.
We often do the first drill (without the wall) as a warm up.

I really like Kesting and appreciate the videos/material he puts out. But this one IMO is pretty weak. As a lowly purple I realize that I dont have any authority on the subject but I would like to discuss nevertheless.

Kesting is really low on the leg and stays far away from uke. If you look at Mendes video, they go almost knee on belly to control the pressure. In Kestings video, there is no torque or pressure from the DLR hook to twist/off-balance the uke. I dont like the ankle grab either if there is a possibility to go deeper, directly to smash pass position.

I think that there is a reason Kesting is not hitting this one very often, because it looks like an inversion, without any pressure or control.

On the other hand, maybe it is just difficult to instruct properly when you are inverted...the video shows some good drills on how to practice inversions though.

Well then, good thing we're on a discussion forum so things like this can be...discussed.

I actually fully understand what armwrap is saying.

If you learn real low on the leg and from the guard vs guard position, you might get a bad habit of rolling on your back/body and not keeping tight pressure.

The mendes video just helps ensure people are getting up onto their shoulder and rolling to invert while keeping tight pressure on their opponent, which is a lot more powerful.

I used to only hit the berimbolo well from the double guard pull and it was becuae of the above. Once I learned how to invert onto my shoulders, staying tight to my opponents hips/leg, you build a lot more power and it changed the feel of my berimbolo a lot.

Stephens example is solid technique but you've got to lead with your shoulders while pressuring ur opponents hips to invert with power. Not just body roll and kick through to complete.

It's hard to explain, but once I learned the difference my berimbolo became a lot more effective and harder to stop, even with poor grip setups

IMO this is not how you do the berimbolo and it is not the easiest way for beginners to do it. The instruction is missing fundamental points that make the technique work. Just because it is for beginners does not justify that the technique is poor - that is sub 101 anaconda redux thinking.

For the record, I think that Mr. Kesting is a very legit BB and good instructor. I have learned a lot from his videos. He can probably tap me with ease in competition or sparring. I know a lot of BBs that do not play DLR/berimbolo and have limited understanding of that game. They usually kill me with something else.

You don't have the flexibility to invert? You should really work on that.
We often do the first drill (without the wall) as a warm up.

No comfortably without an element of ballistics about it. I.e. I can backwards roll and my legs will reach that position for a split second but when I invert my legs don't get to parallel making it very difficult to do these sorts of things.

I'm in my 40's with 20 years+ fairly serious lower back problems so there is a lot of dysfunction and stiffness going on. :icon_sad:

Back