Elections The Dunning-Kruger Effect May Help Explain Trump's Support

D 1 Wrestler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
While the results of Anson’s study suggest that being uninformed leads to overconfidence across the political spectrum, studies have shown that Democrats now tend to be generally more educated than Republicans, possibly making the latter more vulnerable to the Dunning-Kruger effect. In fact, a Pew Research Center poll released in March of this year found that 54 percent of college graduates identified as Democrats or leaned Democratic, compared to 39 percent who identified or leaned Republican.

This effect may help explain why certain Trump supporters seem to be so easily tricked into believing proven falsehoods when the President delivers what have become known as “alternative facts,” often using language designed to activate partisan identities. Because they lack knowledge but are confident that they do not, they may be less likely than others to actually fact-check the claims that the President makes.

This speculation is supported by evidence from empirical studies. In 2016, an experiment found that 45 percent of Republicans believed that the Affordable Care Act included “death panels,” and a 2015 study similarly found that 54 percent of Republican primary voters believed then-president Barack Obama to be a Muslim.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is particularly worrisome when considering issues that pose existential threats, like global warming. A 2017 study conducted at the University of New Hampshire, for instance, found that only 25 percent of self-described Trump supporters believed that human activities contribute to climate change—though 97 percent of scientists who study climate change agree that they do.

This quirky cognitive bias could potentially be making it easier for Donald Trump to say unchallenged falsehoods to his more uneducated followers. In some cases, not only are these individuals uninformed, they are unlikely to ever try to become more informed on their own. In their minds, they have nothing new to learn.

While such a thought is disturbing, we should not lose all hope in trying to reach the victims of the Dunning-Kruger effect. At least one study found that incompetent students increased their ability to accurately estimate their class rank after being tutored in the skills they lacked. With the right education methods and a willingness to learn, the uninformed on both sides of the political aisle can gain a meta-awareness that can help them perceive themselves more objectively.

Unfortunately, Anson’s study shows that getting through to these people becomes more and more difficult as the nation becomes more divided. And with Trump’s fiery rhetoric and fear-mongering, that divide appears to always be growing wider.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201808/the-dunning-kruger-effect-may-help-explain-trumps-support

You should scroll down to "Science & Math" and "IT" and tell me the political leanings.

If most STEM grads are conservatives, then they're sure as fuck not the employed ones. <45>

Just going by the ones I knew but posted the link to be fair.

It is what it is per the link.

That was a lightning fast confirmation.

I'm proud to be an American.
And proud to say that I voted for Trump. He's done well for us so far.

Just going by the ones I knew but posted the link to be fair.

The link you posted has literally every occupation comprising STEM as being overwhelmingly Democrat. Except for MAYBE O&G, and the delineations they made sure make it look like they're not talking about PEs.

The link you posted has literally every occupation comprising STEM as being overwhelmingly Democrat. Except for MAYBE O&G, and the delineations they made sure make it look like they're not talking about PEs.

See above .

I know 90 percent of the engineer's I worked with were center right on most issue.

As I said it is what it is.

I think most educated people fall into center left or center right and not far left or right.

See above .

I know 90 percent of the engineer's I worked with were center right on most issue.

As I said it is what it is.

I think most educated people fall into center left or center right and not far left or right.

What is there to "see above"? The link you posted says the literal opposite of what you said. There is no "it is what it is" when you hold anecdotal beliefs in contrast to the link that YOU posted lmao.

Not sure what I was supposed to be getting here.

The divide is growing wider due to Obama's fundamental change of America. Barak Hussein was an un-American president and he ushered in an Anti-American Social Justice worldview for the left.
Perfect illustration of the OP topic in effect.

At this point, Dunning-Kruger might also best explain how someone could not yet realize how Dunning-Kruger explains Trump's support.

Man the left is struggling.

http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/index.html

Most STEM graduates are conservative.

Also there are plenty of shit heads on all sides of the political line.

Uhhh, that doesn't say what you think it says....at all

It says that "Science & Math" related professions are 78% Democrat and 22% Republican (Doctors 53% Democrat, Informational Technology 74% Democrat, Research 86% Democrat)

Yet your link says that 71% are Democrats and 29% are Republicans. Hmmmm, I wonder if that means your have some confirmation bias?

At this point, Dunning-Kruger might also best explain how someone could not yet realize how Dunning-Kruger explains Trump's support.

Uhhh, that doesn't say what you think it says....at all

It says that "Science & Math" related professions are 78% Democrat and 22% Republican.

Read my response.

Indeed. And that fact coupled with anti-intellectual attitudes prevalent on the right makes our climb out of Trumpism a very steep one.

Indeed. And that fact coupled with anti-intellectual attitudes prevalent on the right makes our climb out of Trumpism a very steep one.
There's a whole lot of "intellectuals" today that have no common sense.

Man the left is struggling.

http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/index.html

Most STEM graduates are conservative.

Also there are plenty of shit heads on all sides of the political line.

Even the rightwing intellectuals don't/didn't support Trump. He doesn't have the backing of George Will, David French, David Frum, Mona Charen etc.... he doesn't even have the support of Ben Shapiro.

He has Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity.

Even the rightwing intellectuals don't/didn't support Trump. He doesn't have the backing of George Will, David French, David Frum, Mona Charen etc.... he doesn't even have the support of Ben Shapiro.

He has Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity.

Depends on what you mean by support.

Do they wish Hillary had won........no

Do the wonder wtf Trump is doing or saying...........yes

This is great. Please continue to prove our points.
Nothing amuses me more than sherdoggers pretending they are "intellectual" because of who they vote for.

Back