The Dreamcast is 20 years old.

Crimson Fury

Elijah Modnar
@Silver
Reaction score
It was a great console though I didn't care too much for the controller. The graphics in Soul Calibur were stunning.

12548_front.jpg

latest

41708-resident-evil-code-veronica-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg

7154-soulcalibur-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg

58395-fire-pro-wrestling-d-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg

Last edited:
Still have my Sega sports edition black Dreamcast. System was ahead of its time!

All I remember from it is that one game where you fly through dream or some shit. I was like umm nope.

It was a bomb system and I had a ton of burned games I got for free. We played the shit out of 4 person street mode in nba 2ksomething

Dreamcast was probably the best console ever made, when compared to their peers. Shame they didn't market it well and it flopped. Phantasy star online is one of my favourite MP games ever made.

All I remember from it is that one game where you fly through dream or some shit. I was like umm nope.

Assuming you mean nights into dreams. That was a Saturn game.

I don't know why, but I always liked the design of Sega consoles:

t5pluyadtphe8cikkqlz.jpg

sega-saturn1.png

Their downfall started with the Saturn. It was a great machine, but wasn't it substantially more costly than the PSX when they both released?

That Saturn controller is still the greatest thing ever when it comes to fighting games. The only thing that comes close is that HORI gamepad (I'm not much of a stick man myself).

I don't know why, but I always liked the design of Sega consoles:

t5pluyadtphe8cikkqlz.jpg

sega-saturn1.png

Their downfall started with the Saturn. It was a great machine, but wasn't it substantially more costly than the PSX when they both released?

That Saturn controller is still the greatest thing ever when it comes to fighting games. The only thing that comes close is that HORI gamepad (I'm not much of a stick man myself).
for me that sega genesis controler and the saturn controller with the 6 button layout is the best fighting game layout.

I also loved how console versions of fighting games were not nerfed because of lack of ram. I remember the marvel vs capcom games on ps1 being inferior to the saturn version.

for me that sega genesis controler and the saturn controller with the 6 button layout is the best fighting game layout.

I also loved how console versions of fighting games were not nerfed because of lack of ram. I remember the marvel vs capcom games on ps1 being inferior to the saturn version.

Not being able to tag out was pretty bad.

Other fighters like Samurai Shodown 3 were missing a ton of frames and suffered from a lot of slowdown on PS1.

Other fighters like Samurai Shodown 3 were missing a ton of frames and suffered from a lot of slowdown on PS1.
yup the extra ram slot on the saturn was what made it great as a fighting game console, to bad ps1 had so many better games. I remember, I used to play at my friends house alot because we could play basically the arcade versions of the games hehehe.

The most frustrating part is Sega did almost everything right with the DC and it still failed. Great price, killer launch lineup, great exclusives, ease of development, etc...

The worst was X-Men Children of the Atom. Not only did it suck on PS1 but it came out 3 YEARS after the Saturn port.
Street Fighter Alpha 3 was a fantastic port though. Wonder what kind of voodoo Capcom used for that.

4 Player Japanese Version Battle Tennis on Hacked Consule. Good times have no idea what that game was called but it was awesome.

How dare you dismiss the dreamcast controller.

That controller is the reason why the xbox controllers look the way they do, and not like some evolution of the sidewinder.

As for console itself, I was the only one of my friends to receive one for xmas. The memories of Shenmue 1 are still warm and fuzzy.

The 3 most underrated games that I actually remember playing are...

51G36HCECPL._SX342_.jpg

602952.jpg

!!e!T28QCGM~$(KGrHqMOKjUE0Qt3zT7cBNP2cc!hdQ~~_1.JPG

Dreamcast was probably the best console ever made, when compared to their peers. Shame they didn't market it well and it flopped. Phantasy star online is one of my favourite MP games ever made.

Assuming you mean nights into dreams. That was a Saturn game.

Maybe he meant Panzer Dragoon Orta. That had flying in it. :)
In all seriousness, Nights is on Steam and it's a great port. SEGA has really stepped it up on PC but there are so many more games they could port or remaster.

The most frustrating part is Sega did almost everything right with the DC and it still failed. Great price, killer launch lineup, great exclusives, ease of development, etc...

The timing was bad. Probably why I was the only one I knew who had one. I had an older bother and he asked for the N64 and I asked for the PS1 only three years prior. I think most parents weren't up for buying another console so soon after.

First next gen console, was a great system and had great games.

If it was possible to sell the whole catalog of games with an emulator on PC or a little tiny box for cheap it would be probably sell.

Maybe he meant Panzer Dragoon Orta. That had flying in it. :)
In all seriousness, Nights is on Steam and it's a great port. SEGA has really stepped it up on PC but there are so many more games they could port or remaster.

Could be. The dream thing instantly took me to nights.

There were so many great games on the dreamcast that I can't even remember the name of. Dreamcast is probably my favourite after the snes.

bought the Shenmue collection on PSN. They need to get #3 out already.

Back