The Dread Pirate Roberts arrested; The Silk Road shut down

SR 2.0 will be bigger, and better. Long live the ghost of DPR.

nope1.gif

I heard he was taken down by the AOUS's. (Agencies Of Unusual Size)

Lol Dread Pirate Roberts- how you gonna be a hardass drug dealer/illicit goods kingpin repping the Princess Bride.

Great movie though. Mawwidge.

Well they did one for that wikileaks fellow starring Benedict Cumberbatch, so why not.

Cumberbatch is the man, Bruhl is great and bill condon is a solid director. But I've heard very little positive things about the film thus far.

Social Network was terrific.

Dumbass used his own name in his email contact.

It's amazing TSR lasted as long as it did, considering how many powerful government agencies it pissed off.

Of course, all the alphabet agencies included (FBI, CIA, DEA, etc.), but the Treasury as well. Bitcoin is outside the purview of the Fed Reserve. Since TSR was probably a huge part of the bitcoin market, taking it down (and potentially seizing all those coins) is going to do huge damage to bitcoins - at least in the short term.

Conspiracies abound that the story of DPR's takedown isn't legitimate, but a parallel construction. That is, the NSA had the intel, then told the authorities where to look so they could build a case. It's possible, but if so, then Tor isn't secure (and some people believe some Tor servers are operated by the government, anyway).

Lots of repercussions here.

"At least he got to finish Breaking Bad." :icon_lol:

Speaking of which...
historian1111 35 points 10 hours ago

Some interesting tibits from the complaint:

$1.2 Billion in sales. $80 million in commission (600,000BTC)

If true, then he's the real Walter White ($80+ million). Hank just caught him before the skinheads could steal his money.

Great story. I find myself feeling bad for this guy for some reason?
Can't wait for the book (Ben Mezrich would be my pick) and subsequent movie.

Back