The Dirt (Motley Crue Biopic)

It felt like a made for TV movie with swearing and sex added but I enjoyed it. I was playing with my phone during the first few minutes. Did a woman squirt or something? I don’t know what I saw.

It felt like a made for TV movie with swearing and sex added but I enjoyed it. I was playing with my phone during the first few minutes. Did a woman squirt or something? I don’t know what I saw.

Yes, that's how the book starts. Tommy Lee telling a story about that. They obviously wanted to start with a bang.

Was never that big of a fan of The Crue (only album I bought was Dr. Feelgood), but if you grew up in the 80s/early 90s you were automatically on the periphery of that band and the trailer got me hook line and sinker.

I'm about 75% through it and it's very well done. Wish it would spend more time on how they wrote their songs, but it's got great pacing, solid performances, and is well told.
If you're a fan of the band or the 80s and have Netflix, definitely recommend.

It does have a lot of drugs and nudity...but is thematically appropriate I guess given the subject matter.
Dr feelgood was really their only good song it was like the only one i heard as a kid, but that guns and roses was the shit, also bon jovi and van halen.

After reading an interview with Sixx in which he says his daughter was an LGBT supporter/feminist I find it fucking hilarious to find out that she's a basic bitch insta-whore.
He has a few daughters.

I dug it.

Pretty entertaining.

I grew up a fan of Motley Crue.

War Mick Mars

When I was growing up one of my sisters was total glam rock groupie in the early 90's, so I listened to a lot of Crue and everything else from that era. I actually thought the movie was pretty good, but could've been longer and covered more stuff. Or at least in better detail. Than some one from one of the motocross forums go to pointed out that the actor that played Vince looked like and had the same facial mannerisms as Garth from Waynes World. I then watched the trailer again and couldnt stop laughing. He was spot on! 7/10 rating from me.

I thought it was ok. 7/10. I dont know who machine gun kelly is that everyone is talking about. I think they coulda done a better job casting vince. I also felt that they portrayed the skylar issue as karma for getting off lightly on razz

6/10

Growing up in the era, I remember it well. The movie got a lot right, and some of it wrong. My main issue with the movie is that at this stage of life, this movie is too late when compared to when the book came out.

Just the fact that it ends with them stating that Crüe played for another 20 years shows the fact that there is a ton more story to tell. Hell, they didn’t even make it to the sex tapes period, lol.

Props to MGK, didn’t even realize it was him until after the movie, as I did zero research into it prior to watching.

I have no idea who this Machine Gun Kelly dude is.

Dr feelgood was really their only good song it was like the only one i heard as a kid, but that guns and roses was the shit, also bon jovi and van halen.

Kickstart My Heart
Wildside
Live Wire
Looks That Kill

Popular (though I didn't like them as much)
Girls, Girls, Girls,
Smoking the Boys' Room
Home Sweet Home
Shout At The Devil

Kickstart My Heart
Wildside
Live Wire
Looks That Kill

Popular (though I didn't like them as much)
Girls, Girls, Girls,
Smoking the Boys' Room
Home Sweet Home
Shout At The Devil

Add "Too Young to Fall in Love" and that was about all of the good songs they wrote. --Smoking in the Boys Room is not original--. They kind of did the "write 2-3 good song then throw a bunch of other songs together and call it an album" thing

Last edited:
I watched it over the weekend. As someone who has read the book, I thought the biopic was depicted fairly cheesy. I liked the book much better.

That's exactly what my friend said who read the book. I didn't read it and I enjoyed the film.

Wtf how do you naytheists not like home sweet home?

I wish I had that godamn HHH gif.

I'll skip it. Rock star bios and biopics never tell anything interesting and are (for me at least) boring. I don't give a fuck where you come from or how many groupies you fucked or how much shit you put up your nose. I want to know how you wrote those songs, what did the producer contribute and how final arrangements were decided on. The gear used to record would also be helpful.

But do they ever talk about that? No. It's just "hey, I fucked this chick while her girlfriend blew cocaine up my asshole". BORING.

Take the Crue for instance. How'd they come up with Dr. Feelgood? I imagine it went something like this:

Nikki: "Check out this bass line I came up with." [plays bass riff]

Tommy: "Why does that sound so familiar?"

Nikki: "Cause I ripped it off of 'Love Like Blood' by Killing Joke".

Mick: "Well, shit as long as we're ripping shit off, check this riff out. It'll go great with that bass line." [plays guitar riff]

Nikki: "Why does that sound so familiar?"

Mick: "Cause I ripped it off of AC\DC's Night of the Long Knives".

Bob Rock: "Hey guys, if you put two different source materials together to create something new, it ain't a ripoff. It's called influence. And in this case, the bastard child of Killing Joke and AC/DC is gonna go mega-platinum, baby!!!"

Vince: "More coke and booze!" [Vince then nods of and proceeds to drool].

Despite the major flaws it was a fun movie. If you are even remotely a fan you won't learn anything new, but I'll definitely be watching again.

Despite the major flaws it was a fun movie. If you are even remotely a fan you won't learn anything new, but I'll definitely be watching again.

A rewatch for me will be the first two minutes. That is the perfect time capsule for this movie.

Watched it last night. Well, there's a good movie in there somewhere. The performances were decent, and it had some good moments. The problem is it's pacing. There is none. You don't really get invested in any of their journey's, because it's just told so poorly. It's like they just took snippets from the book and threw it on the screen, without actually adapting it for the screen. It plays like a collage of scenes with nothing holding it together.

6/10

Pretty much the same problem with Bohemian Rhapsody.

Would love to see a Metallica, GNR, or ACDC bio pic. Motley crue just isnt big enough to deserve a good Bio pic.
They were interesting and crazy enough to deserve it though. It’s not always about being just big. Being entertaining is not important. I imagine some of the biggest acts being pretty boring. Some, obviously there are big ones that are bat shit crazy.

Back