1. Monday Downtime - All Evolve Media Sites will be undergoing maintenance Monday March 30. This will occur during a window of 7 PM (Pacific Time) to Tuesday afternoon. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The difference between watching live, ringside, as opposed to on a screen(judging):

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by RiotWyatt, Jul 28, 2016.

1. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Black Belt

I remember one of the first amateur boxing events I had ever attended leaving a lasting impression on me in regards to judging. I was there ringside as an assistant to our coach for my younger brother's match. This is not about his match though.

One particluar match that day was an absolute beat down. This kid had serious power and you could feel each punch resonate through the gym. It felt absolutely terrible for his opponent, who, although, resilient and fought back hard, had nothing for him. It was a three round match and the referee stopped it halfway through the third.

My family had been there too and later I asked one of them if they'd recorded that particular match. They did and to my surprise, it looked like an absolutely different match with the eventual loser actually outstriking his opponent. On screen, it was a close fight, and honestly, it was hard to tell why the referee even stopped it.

That day really opened my eyes to what judges see, hear and feel as opposed to what we see on screen.

Kwic and Goodfella86 like this.
  2. lecter

lecter not even webscale

cool story

3. BRASIL WAND

BRASIL WAND ▓▓▓AMERICAN TOP TEAM▓▓▓

cool story

4. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Black Belt

cool post

5. NoneChuck

NoneChuck Amsterdamned

Cecil approves this thread

[​IMG]

6. Goodfella86

Goodfella86 Gold Belt

Actually was a cool story. We all know it's possible, but to witness is first hand is probably a bit more profound.

I'm sure the sounds of shots can be deceiving sometimes (cue Goldie: "..that leg kick made a loud slapping noise, but it's the thud that tells you when it really lands."), but I'm assuming more often than not, it'll help tell the story of the fight. It's like watching a movie with no score.... totally different.

RiotWyatt likes this.
  7. Drofrah

Drofrah Green Belt

Not really a salient point there fella. I think i know what you are digging at though. Maybe have judged watching on a screen as opposed to sitting ringside?

[​IMG]

8. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Black Belt

I've also seen many "Cecils".

Some judges are constantly talking and joking amongst other officials, audience members and even coaches in the middle of matches. To them, they were just judging inconsequential amateur matches at tiny events. It made my blood boil.

9. Dogo1

Dogo1 Brown Belt

I've had similar experiences with basketball. I'll be at a game and when I get home and see the highlights on sports center and there talking about a guy had 30 points and when I left the game I thought he had 17 or 18.