1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The difference between cardio and energy usage and how it relates to khabib v tony

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by AlanGregson, Jan 20, 2020.

1. AlanGregson Purple Belt

Alright i have seen a lot of people talking about tony's crazy cardio and pace and i completely agree, the the pace and pressure that he keeps on people is incredible and thats why a lot of people believe that his cardio makes him immune to gassing out, which i think is not correct.

Ok so, every top endurance athlete has a certain pace that they follow, it could be swimming, cycling or running. It doesnt really matter but what they do have in common is that that pace is not a sprint, its 50,60 or maybey even 70% of their maximum effort. Why is this important?

For example... Lets take a marathon runner and lets say that his maximum pace for a 20 mille run is 5 mins per mille. Now take that same runner and tell him to run 10 milles at a 2.5 min mille pace. We just cut his distance in half but also made his pace 50% faster. Mathematically speaking this runner should be able to complete this but in a real world scenario he wont. Why not? Because the amount of effort that has to put in to make his pace 50% faster is going to make him use up his energy supply at a much faster rate, this is why sprinting is so exhausting and gasses you out quickly. How does this relate to mma you might ask.

Well khabib's ground game is completely centered around making his opponets use maximum effort to try and get up or get out of positions, you dont have a choice, either you stay in place and try to conserve energy and get smashed or try and get up and have khabib trip you over and over again, his whole ground game is centered around switching bettween making you use energy and punching you when you try to take a break or catch your breath. Thats why Jhon Kavanagh's advice to conor was "if he takes you down, dont put a huge amount of effort trying to get back up and avoid taking damage as best you can" he knew that if khabib took him down there was no point in trying to get back up again. Tony seems to believe that his juijitsu is good enough to stop khabib from doing what he does best on the ground... Lol. Thats not gonna happen, i dont care how much of a fan of Tony you are, if he gets taken down he's gonna get fooked, he's gonna get tired, the positions that khabib puts you in are designed to get you tired, i dont care who you are, you're gonna gas out with him on the ground, no if's or but's. Best advice for tony is to avoid that fucking fence like the plague, move around use his reach and pray to god khabib cant catch him. Khabib can also take him down if he's not at the fence, the "khabib can only take people down at the fence" narrative was painted by chael sonnen, the reason khabib likes to take people down at the fence is because you dont have the space to sprawl, you get trapped, in the unlikley event that you get back up again, you're still trapped at the fence and you're most likley gonna get taken down again, just like our boy Dustin. If you watch khabib's old fights in Russia that we're done in a ring without a cage, you can see that his favorite ways of getting people down are single legs or just shooting a good old double. I sure hope that Tony's real gameplan is not attacking from his back but instead preventing the takedown in the first place.

2. Sonny Qc 86,425 Likes

Champagne Room of a Stripclub, Eating Arse.
  3. Slatersan Black Belt

4. Fox by the Sea Lighthouse Keeper Platinum Member

i thought this was a class.

5. Azazyah Blue Belt

6. Mob69 Black Belt

What Tony cannot do is permit Khabib to use fear of the takedown to back him up. Khabib likes to pressure opponents backwards behind the black lines, and then shoot in. Once on the ground, he uses the cage to control, prevent movement, and smash. The cage is a big tool for Khabib, as the opponent cannot move away from him. Tony MUST take the centre and walk Khabib down. Pressure him and strike. Khabib can and will still get the takedown in the middle of the cage, as he won’t want to strike, but at least in the middle there will be more space on the ground for Tony to move around in and work (though getting up also becomes harder because there is no cage to use).

Poirier’s corner kept telling him to avoid being pushed behind the black lines as that means annihilation. Ferguson must not let Khabib pressure him backwards. Meet him in the middle. If you’re on the ground, at least make it in the middle of the cage. Make Khabib have to fight to retain control. Use that to wear him down, as Frank did to Tito. Throw elbows from the bottom and try to slice him open.

This may be a forlorn hope, of course, but it seems to me to be an important part of Tony’s path to victory. And, while on the feet, pressure, pound, and cut Khabib. Go to the body. Bank damage and then hope it pays off in the final few minutes of the fight.

7. MakeSherdogGreatAgain Brown Belt

Tony might be human, but so is Khabib. We'll see who gasses first when they fight. I bet it's not Tony. That 3rd round rest break isn't a good look against a guy like Tony.

8. darky7z Green Belt

Nice and all but the fight vs Iaquinta happend. He din't smash him and was pretty tired the later round.
    Try again.

9. mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs

Tony gets tired yes, though not as much as others.

The thing about Khabib is that what he does also takes a ton of energy out of himself. Controlling someone and doing damage the way he does expends a ton of energy. If you look at his fight with Iaquinta, Khabib beat Al up pretty good for 3 rounds. Took a lot out of Al but also out of himself. So in rd 4, Khabib's TD's were slow and sloppy and Al stuffed them. Khabib still outstruck Al in rd 4 but let's be honest...Tony is not Al Iaquinta. If Khabib tires from his style and shoots sloppy TD's on Tony in rd 4, there's a good chance he's getting his neck snatched in a d'arce or that Tony stuffs the TD's and proceeds to start butchering Khabib standing. Tony not only fatigues much less than almost anyone else, he also fights through whatever fatigue he has and throws damaging strikes at his even more fatigued opponents. And they then break.

Again, the above scenario is IF Kahbib does in fact slow down like that, which admittedly is far from a guarantee. His cardio actually looked improved vs Dustin in crazy heat, so maybe he's to the point where he can push that pace longer without fading. I'm not sure either way. But Tony may also make him work harder than anyone else has, which could factor in.

10. Dat Boi Yellow Belt

No one runs a mile at that pace.
    Your thought experiment sucks.