The Definitive "HANDS UP!" Thread

Well Sanshou guys throw their kicks with a fair amount of "snap" to them. It's not easier, but rather, more tolerable to tank the odd kick now and then because their priority is to grab the lab and initiate takedowns. Still, those throws can still nullify the force of MuayThai kicks, done properly.

Kamegai looks so relaxed in the ring. The dude was so chill. The only time he ever really got hit was when he wasn't paying enough attention, and became a little less active in his defense or movement. It really highlights the importance of positioning and the unceasing concentration to implement it. Thanks for (re)posting.

I know that San Shou guys prefers to absorbs the kicks in order to create counter opportunities. Different system different aims i guess.

yep, in fact Cung Le, absorbs the kick as he is adjusting his leg for it so that the kick slides up to his hips where he can easily catch it.

Wow, what a wonderful wall of texts. That cleared up many of my misconceptions about old school boxing too. I always thought in bareknuckles era the focus is on body punches and throw because how easy it is to break your hand with your opp's jaw, so it is only reserved for the sure-fire knockout punch. I guess i'm reading the wrong place then :oops:

It was a viable concern. That's why fighters adopted straight punches that were done differently than to today.

Anybody watching Makdessi vs Stout? Makdessi showing some good head movement, using shoulders defensively, staying in the pocket, countering directly off a strike and just making spambot Stout miss. Good stuff but Stout fought a little stupid.

Anybody watching Makdessi vs Stout? Makdessi showing some good head movement, using shoulders defensively, staying in the pocket, countering directly off a strike and just making spambot Stout miss. Good stuff but Stout fought a little stupid.

Relevant fight for this thread. Makdessi's superior positioning made Stout look like a complete amateur, and not a good one. He made Stout overreach and punished him with his jab for it.

Also proves that you can roll right hands with your shoulder in mma :icon_chee

Proper fist formation.

Back