The decline of Dutch Kickboxing

the decline would probably be around the time they started cracking down on organized crime in the Netherlands. It's hard to pay out that good money without all that illegal shit going on. So you pack you're shit up and come to NA where no one gives to shits about the sport. DSE did the same shit with Pride FC but I guess there still enough bang for the buck for Glory to keep things going. I'm just talking about the kickboxing scene over the past 10 years or so the orgs and events not the fighters.

Yeah it’s really like that. Almost every town has their kickboxing/boxing gym.
Though, it’s not like every regular kid here is doing kickboxing (in fact, out of like 30 friends there’s only 2 guys outside of me that are doing some combat sports), but it’s certainly not strange if you’re doing combat sports over here. Everyone in my circle knows I’m a boxer, but it’s no weird thing or something, not at all. Everyone knows Rico Verhoeven, Badr Hari, etc. and the “casual” fans watch the big fights aswell.
Our hometown doesn’t have an own gym (yeah some “kickfun” class but no real gym), so I’m training in a city at a 10 minute drive. The city has several gyms, including Albert Kraus’ one, so they make up for the smaller towns without a gym
I remember when I started training here in Argentina (we are talking 2005 or so) I had to take a 30 mins bus ride to the gym because it was the only kickboxing gym around.
Now we have them everywhere.
We have a shit ton of people training and some very good fighters here but sadly the financial incentives and the travelling costs do not help at all.

I remember when I started training here in Argentina (we are talking 2005 or so) I had to take a 30 mins bus ride to the gym because it was the only kickboxing gym around.
We have a shit ton of people training and some very good fighters here but sadly the financial incentives and the travelling costs do not help at all.
Oh nice, the sport is developing over there it seems.
A young kickboxer from Argentina will fight on GLORY Rivals 5 in Mexico next month:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/glory-x-won-rivals-5-in-mexico-jan-28.4267962/

I don't watch football anymore, but congrats on the world cup win.

Awesome!

He is representing the same DOJO I started training in 15 years ago. It is wonderful to see how much they grew.
That’s very cool to hear man!
Are you still in contact with dem guys over there?

That’s very cool to hear man!
Are you still in contact with dem guys over there?
Nope... I trained there 15 years ago and then switched gyms when moved and since I never competed nobody knows how I am.

I do recognize the trainers from back then.. the same guys I used to see competing now are gym owners and run their own schools.

TS manlet confirmed

The worst hw still beats the best 135 weight

Why doesn't Holland have more 135 champs. Cause in Holland people are like 6 foot on average and weight 190 pounds +.

K1 is the biggest kickboxing show that ever existed. Better said was. And Dutch trained fighters won like 70% of all WGP. Best Muay Thai fighters are Thais.
I knew you were a hater when you brought up Kaoklain. He did really good but he never made it far into the GPs. Surely he was undersized and should've fought at MW.

Dutch-style kickboxing is not only about “Dutch” kickboxers, it’s about Dutch-style trained fighters more than anything. Armenian kickboxer Marat Grigorian is one of the P4P best kickboxers around. He’s not Dutch, but his kickboxing style is as Dutch as they come
Doesn't he train out of Hemmer's gym?

As a Dutch, started training in 1996, I do think that the whole kickboxing scene changed significantly in those 26 years.

Up until 2005 or so, in NL we used to fight under kickboxing/ modified MT rules, including clinching, Thai music, etc. The years after that it changed rapidly.. 5 round A-class fights became 3-rounders, clinching no longer allowed. That also resulted in an even more combination based style of fighting.

Where in the '90s and '00s we had some fighters who could hang with Thais in the upper weight divisions. We now have none.

Currently the regulations are working against us. It's, for youths, no longer allowed to fight with head contact untill the age of 18. Better for the brain, indeed, but not realistic.
There are also significantly less kickboxing events in the Netherlands compared to 20 years ago as it is far more complex to organise them. Again due to al sorts of regulations.

NL will always have some good fighters around but I do think that on the world scene we have become less relevant.
We have some decline and other countries are developing rapidly.

K1 is the biggest kickboxing show that ever existed. Better said was. And Dutch trained fighters won like 70% of all WGP. Best Muay Thai fighters are Thais.
I knew you were a hater when you brought up Kaoklain. He did really good but he never made it far into the GPs. Surely he was undersized and should've fought at MW.
What he did was amazing though. You cant really hold it against him that he couldnt beat Choi Hong Man at his size.

What he did was amazing though. You cant really hold it against him that he couldnt beat Choi Hong Man at his size.

Yeah he did great. MW who had to fight HWs cause there was only two divisions.
His KO of Mighty MO is one of the best KOs of K1 history. Flying high kick KO, as counter to the overhand, how quick that was. He was good.

Yeah he did great. MW who had to fight HWs cause there was only two divisions.
His KO of Mighty MO is one of the best KOs of K1 history. Flying high kick KO, as counter to the overhand, how quick that was. He was good.
I had a small poster of that KO hung up in my room for some time

His Ko of Denis Kang is one of the great delayed KO's of all time

A better delayed KO than the Barboza - Burgos one?
That shit was weird as fuck lol
Kaoklai hits him with a leaping punch and it looks like Denis Kang goes for a takedown on Kaoklai. They both hit the mat,and when K gets up,Denis Kang's head just falls lifelessly to the floor and hes completley unconcious

Back