The debate I have been noticing

Jim Rome talked about it on his nationally syndicated show 2 days ago.

A) Sonnen did alot of smack talk but he did everything he said he was going to do, except win the fight.

B) He gave the arguably p4p best fighter in the world his most difficult fight in the ufc, in fact hadn't Silva had a string of boring fights where he seemed disinterested because his opponent had little to offer him? That was not the case this go round.

I don't care if Sonnen is a champion or not, I don't reflect a pro fighters success on myself. So if a wrestler wins, great, if a BJJ guy wins, fine, if a Dim Mak guy wins, cool. What they do means nothing in terms of what I can or cannot do.
What I like is interesting fights that spur debate, or have great techniques or are hotly contested in the ring. Sonnen and Silva gave us all of that.

As far as the damage Silva has taken we assume alot just based on appearance. The stats show he was struck nearly 300 times and with 8 "power shots", some guys just don't show it on their face. In fact I don't think I have ever seen Silva with a scratch on him, we cannot assume in all the fights he has ever had that he has not been hit hard.

Anyway an immediate rematch would be good for the UFC in order to avoid a loss for either man. Right now people are interested, case in point the fight happend what 5 days ago? We are still talking about it.

Except for some technical discussions we are not talking about many of the other fights with the exception of the Hughes fight. But that is just to go over the choke he used.

What does that tell you? It is like Howard Stern said, "They either love me or hate me, either way they are listening."

Initially, I wanted to see an immediate rematch. The fight was so exciting to watch. I wanted that rush again.

But upon sober reflection - I don't think Chael deserves it. He has not improved his submission defense despite a glaring need throughout his career.

His gameplan has a giant hole in it. you can't take guys down and pound them from guard if you have lousy sub defense. It might work for three rounds. But in a championship fight, there's too much time to get caught.

if you're the CHALLENGER and you get FINISHED, you don't get an immediate rematch, that's crazy talk.

if you're the CHALLENGER and you get FINISHED, you don't get an immediate rematch, that's crazy talk.

I think that speaks to how dominant a champion Silva has been. Sonnen definitely put up a good fight, but he lost in the way that we all (including Silva) thought he would. I'd rather see an Okami rematch.

Without question if you're the only challenger in the last 11 fights to actually challenge the champion then you deserve a second shot.

Did anyone see Sonnen talk smack about the Nogueira brothers and their Jujitsu skills? It was nice to see Sonnen eat a little crow.

Um- GSP got destroyed by Serra (in Rd 1) and Serra had to give him a rematch (while Serra was also Hurt and in front of GSP's hometown) - it also sold well-

There will be a rematch because it will make the UFC money- end of thread. I will purchase it as will others.

Without question if you're the only challenger in the last 11 fights to actually challenge the champion then you deserve a second shot.

Did anyone see Sonnen talk smack about the Nogueira brothers and their Jujitsu skills? It was nice to see Sonnen eat a little crow.

If you're that good you should have no trouble earning another shot.

Um- GSP got destroyed by Serra (in Rd 1) and Serra had to give him a rematch (while Serra was also Hurt and in front of GSP's hometown) - it also sold well-

There will be a rematch because it will make the UFC money- end of thread. I will purchase it as will others.

Champs almost always get rematches, but even then they usually have to fight someone else first; Hughes fought Lytle, GSP fought Kos, Franklin fought MacDonald and Okami, Couture fought Van Arsdale....

He would probably just get submitted again..

Exactly, people just want a rematch because they want Anderson to loose. Americans are emotionally attached to striking and dont count a submission win as having the same value as a knock out or stoppage by strikes as if that is beating him up more. Either way its a win.

If there were no tapping, submissions like arm bars or leg locks would be more damaging than a KO if they were allowed to continue till the arm or leg breaks.

One more idea here;

Its racism, American culture put more weight on striking and dont respect the "submission" or the time to set it up for a win. "What the hell, those Brazilians introducing this shit into the fight game? Its manly to punch".

KOs are easy in that it dosnt hurt, you just go to sleep. But a good heel hook, your gonna feel that for more than days.

as far as anderson not looking damaged, that is because chael did not beat the shit out of him.

agree that anderson's darker skin will make it harder to see a bruise, but a cut is a cut and is simple as that. Chael was the one getting stitched up, not anderson.

seriously, if you are on top of someone for 5 rounds and cannot at least send that person to the hospital or ko them, then you are not striking hard. period.

watch shogun vs machida 2 for gnp.

look, sonnen fought the best he could against an injured silva and still could not win. yes, silva won in the last few mins, but again seriously, chael did shit for damage.

if they rematch chael is just going to do the same shit. and if it were to happen and silva did not sub him, then chael wins by laying on top of someone for 5 rounds while being more damaged than the guy on bottom.

vitor deserves the next shot.

an immediate rematch should only be awarded if it is a close decision.

it is bullshit that every time someone wins by sub it is "lucky" and there has to be a rematch.

same shit happened with fredo vs werdum. werdum subbed his ass fast and "oh we need a rematch"

-no you know what ? fuck off. If subs don't count, then eliminate them from mma.

like what if there were 30 secs left and anderson got to his feet and knocked out chael? would people still be asking for a rematch?

I got no faith in chael winning. anderson has one stirke KO and submission to beat chael. all chael has is laying on top of him for 5 rounds slapping anderson's ears.

hey, luter was winning against AS until AS put the triangle on him and won, lets give luter and immediate rematch too.

lol, chael is a choke artist, always was and always will be.

If Silva had been 100% like Sonnen was, that fight would have been very different.. from round 1-5.

But people don't understand that. They saw Sonnen on top for 5 rds, then when Silva submitted him, fans were let down and thinking Sonnen could have knocked him out. But Silva would probably break a limb next time they fight.

If Silva had been 100% like Sonnen was, that fight would have been very different.. from round 1-5.

But people don't understand that. They saw Sonnen on top for 5 rds, then when Silva submitted him, fans were let down and thinking Sonnen could have knocked him out. But Silva would probably break a limb next time they fight.
I don't think Anderson Silva needs to break someone's arm to feel better about himself.

How do you all know that Chael was 100%? Silva could have lied and said he was injured and Chael for all we know could have been injured but too much of a man to come up with excuses. Andersen has excuses all the time- even when he wins.

There were parts of that fight where Silva was taking what looked like bombs to the face and kept a look so stoic that Fedor would take notice. It was like he didn't even notice them.

In my opinion Sonnen was winning that fight in the same way that my cat wins fights with me when it sometimes bites my foot and I don't stomp its head off. Sure the cat can cling on to my leg with its claws and keep a painfully tight grip but that doesn't mean it has a chance. And just like Silva, the situation is only like that because he wills it to be.

+1,000 Sherdog points for using Silva and Fedor in the same post.

Last edited:
I don't think Anderson Silva needs to break someone's arm to feel better about himself.

I don't disagree with you... but Anderson doesn't like people to doubt his capabilities, and moreso to talk bad about him (or the Nog's) so I wouldn't put it past him to do that to prove a point.

Here's my honest opinion on the situation. Let me be clear first and foremost that I am not a huge Anderson Silva fan nor am I a huge Chael Sonnen fan.

I thoroughly believe that Anderson Silva is just THAT good. I honestly believe he played with Chael Sonnen for over 4.5 rounds and finally decided to slap the triangle on then. He telegraphed that submission for over 4 rounds. He had numerous opportunities to finish the fight with up to that point. I counted atleast a dozen armbars and triangles he could have had prior to the one he got. I think Chael Sonnen was nothing but a toy for Anderson Silva. We've seen Anderson do this in his last few fights. I think he didn't want to make it as obvious this time due to the fact that he was reamed for it last time. If he wanted to finish that fight in the first round, I firmly believe he could have. He is THAT DAMN GOOD.

Sonnen deserves no rematch. Any wrestler who wallows on top of someone for 4.5 rounds and can't finish is not deserving of a rematch. Vitor is next. My opinion.

I'd really like to see the rematch just because of how much Sonnen took Silva out of his preferred element. I think it's was great Silva won by the submission at the last second just because if he didn't he would have soundly, and would have deserved to, lost the fight and it created some drama.

Here's my take on the fight:

Let's not forget that the spirit of MMA (as it was in the beginning) is to finish your opponent by KO or submission. Points were only instituted because with time limits, not every fight ends in a KO or submission. A lot of fighters, Sonnen included, don't have the ability to finish most fights with a KO or a sub, they rely on the point system; which is fine when they're fighting a 3 round fight against another fighter who may not have the ability to consistentaly finish fights as well.

The problem is when you fight a 5 round fight against a guy who can consistently finish fights you're at a big disadvantage. The longer the fight goes, the more it favors the fighter who can finish.

In this case, Silva was able to weather the storm and finish the fight. Sonnen fought about as good of a fight as he could, he fought to the best of his ability, but in the end I feel that his lack of ability to finish a fight is what really did him in...that and a lack of submission defense.

Back