Media The Day The Ref. gave the victory to BJJ Jorge Pereira, fearing a Riot... #27

gono btw

Rounds...
Banned
Reaction score
This series 'The Day...' is about 'extraordinary' moments in NHB/Vale Tudo history.

Today: [Brazilian Vale Tudo Scene]

Was @ Circuito de Lutas 3, Vale Tudo Tournament [12/09/1995], 2nd Round & Final of the Tournament.

On the Left: Ebenezer Braga, elite striker, MT Champ, then trained with the Luta Livre Crew, got a submission game there, but had a short career, no time to work on a rather problematic TDD.
Underrated fighter (he fought SAKU G. in Pride)

On the right: Jorge Pereira, BJJ Black Belt under Hickson.
He would later challenge Hughes in WEF & Pele in IVC.

One of the tragicomic sides of the Vale Tudo scene:

@ 12mn:

Sadly, the cameraman got caught off-guard, and we can only watch the end of the beginnin´of a potential brawl at ringside between cornermen/managers...

Then, out of nowhere, the Ref. decided to give the victory to Pereira who was on top of Braga, iniatiatin´a GNP...

Even Pereira was like...Glasses.gif

During the Vale Tudo era in Brazil, crowds were pretty hardcore, always ready-to-riot (see the infamous Henzo vs Eugenio Tadeu one, 2 years later)...
Many Black Belts at ringside too, with many ongoing feuds...Brutal rivalry between BJJ & Luta Livre...

Several fights had direct influence from ringside elements...
Some cases were actually much worse, as we´ll see next time...

Last edited:
just being a passive observer with no stake in the game..I always get the impression that Luta Livre guys got screwed whenever I read about Luta Livre vs Gracies ..Why give the GJJ guy a win ? Why not just stop the fight and that's it? if you give one guy the win won't it just make the other side even more angry ? the best thing to do is just to call off the match, no ?

I feel like the 80s/90s scene had the good guys in Luta Livre crew who wanted a fair fight and the evil faction the Gracies who would break all the rules to get ahead and who had the support of the "establishment"..just what I have observed..

just being a passive observer with no stake in the game..I always get the impression that Luta Livre guys got screwed whenever I read about Luta Livre vs Gracies ..Why give the GJJ guy a win ? Why not just stop the fight and that's it? if you give one guy the win won't it just make the other side even more angry ? the best thing to do is just to call off the match, no ?

I feel like the 80s/90s scene had the good guys in Luta Livre crew who wanted a fair fight and the evil faction the Gracies who would break all the rules to get ahead and who had the support of the "establishment"..just what I have observed..
There was some constant pressure on the Ref. or promotors back then, risks of a potential riot...

The truth is...when the Vale Tudo event was organized in Rio de Janeiro, them Gracies were the A+++ Side...
They controlled the rules set, Fight Configuration, quantity of seats allowed to the rivals (crowd was 90% pro-Gracies), and even...the Ref., who more often than not was a Gracie student (them Luta Livre had to insist on a neutral one in the infamous Henzo vs Tadeu...jus´b4 the event)

Last edited:
Braga was holding the ropes for a while, preventing the takedown, that's what caused the corners to get upset, which caused the ref to call the fight... so in a way Braga kind of deserves the loss for that... Jorge did nothing wrong, and his corner was reacting to blatant cheating so they shouldn't get punished.

Braga was holding the ropes for a while, preventing the takedown, that's what caused the corners to get upset, which caused the ref to call the fight... so in a way Braga kind of deserves the loss for that... Jorge did nothing wrong, and his corner was reacting to blatant cheating so they shouldn't get punished.
The Ref. lost control of the fight though..

Back