Movies The Dark Knight vs Infinity War

I think both are pretty bad movies but i can enjoy The Dark Knight every once in a while at least.

both great movies. But with infinity war, my lasting memory is of a fun film. With TDK, my memory is of one of the most iconic performances ever from heath ledger as the Joker. Im going with TDK. Its just unfortunate that after 2 great batman films, the third one was a total turd.

At first thought I was going to say Dark Knight with ease, but the more I thought about it aside from Heath Ledger's amazing performance, it was a good not great movie. Meanwhile, I think Infinity War has the disservice because Endgame basically undid everything story-wise that made Infinity War so great.

I think I have to give it to Infinity War. I knew Thanos was going to win and it was pointless because everyone was going to come back, but I still had a minor case of the feels when Petey got dusted.

Which is better and why?
main-qimg-f846149cf76b6bd1e3193a09760503f6

Neither, because they’re both fictional and highly regarded.

amazing that people decry the lack of depth in these movies. there is nothing but character development and archetypal symbols rich in meaning. i really dont get how people who make claims like this can be so wrong.

Alot of it does I think come down to tone, basically brightly colored comic films with over the top characters and comedy are "for kids".

At first thought I was going to say Dark Knight with ease, but the more I thought about it aside from Heath Ledger's amazing performance, it was a good not great movie.

I never understand why you'd want to take out the best part of the movie to judge it. It was essentially the joker's movie he was always the central character. Batman, gordon and the rest were the supporting cast.

If you take out daniel plainview from there will be blood it's a pretty shit movie. Put him back in and its a masterpiece.

I never understand why you'd want to take out the best part of the movie to judge it.
That's a bit literal. As with most DDL films, everything else is not a great as the one performance -- that's what they're saying. If Ledger is at ten, most of the rest of the film is at seven. The story is okay but when we get to the boats it's starting to lose us. Batman is not great but Wayne is good. LOL fights. The letter from Rachel, plus the jarring recast -- almost awful. Two-Face is so damn late in the film. Yes it's still a good film overall but there's a discrepancy between it and Ledger. INFINITY WAR is not perfect, but it's less inconsistent.

Reactions: Zer
Silly question, really. Totally different types of movies. Infinity War is a fantasy/scifi/superhero epic. The Dark Knight is an action crime drama that happens to feature a guy in a cape.

Hard to compare them because it's a matter of tastes, and they're just different movies, but I enjoyed IW much more.
But IW is only as good as it is because of all the other movies that built it up.

Dark Knight is a great movie, but it is also massively overrated. Bale is fine, but he never owned the Batman character. There's 30 other actors that could have easily did what he did. The Nolan movies had too much focus on themes and story, and not nearly enough on characters.
Batman/Bruce Wayne were completely forgettable. The only reason why Batman gets the praise it does is because of Ledger's Joker.

Visually, storywise, and character wise there was just a hell of a lot more to enjoy in IW.

Reactions: Zer
I refuse to choose. They are both great films that deserve to be mentioned in GOAT conversations sooo.......
c7NJRa2.gif

Both are great. Id say Infinity War just because it has a better ending.

That's a bit literal. As with most DDL films, everything else is not a great as the one performance -- that's what they're saying. If Ledger is at ten, most of the rest of the film is at seven. The story is okay but when we get to the boats it's starting to lose us. Batman is not great but Wayne is good. LOL fights. The letter from Rachel, plus the jarring recast -- almost awful. Two-Face is so damn late in the film. Yes it's still a good film overall but there's a discrepancy between it and Ledger. INFINITY WAR is not perfect, but it's less inconsistent.

So its about consistency, that makes more sense.

How much does that really matter though? To me its about the experience of the movie as a whole. Yes some weak areas can take away from it, but if everything comes together really well and its a great movie watching experience, thats what matters. I don't care if paul dano's performance felt forced in some parts, i enjoyed TWB a lot.

And you can't rely on one great performance or any one part as a crutch for a movie. It would fall apart. For it to be great all parts have to work well together. As much as i disliked dano's performance, it worked well in contrast to plainview and they both enhanced each others performance. The soundtrack, the pacing and tone of the movie all worked really well together around DDL.

Same for the dark knight. Yes two face was kind of annoying, some weak action scenes, maggie gyllenhall. But these are small blemishes in a great, masterful comic book movie. Batman was the perfect opponent for Joker to create a deep philosophical and psychological conflict. The tone, pacing and the way the story unfolds was brilliant throughout the movie. The soundtrack is of course iconic. It just worked really well as a whole, and i think you have to judge it as a whole.

So its about consistency, that makes more sense.

How much does that really matter though? To me its about the experience of the movie as a whole. Yes some weak areas can take away from it, but if everything comes together really well and its a great movie watching experience, thats what matters. I don't care if paul dano's performance felt forced in some parts, i enjoyed TWB a lot.

And you can't rely on one great performance or any one part as a crutch for a movie. It would fall apart. For it to be great all parts have to work well together. As much as i disliked dano's performance, it worked well in contrast to plainview and they both enhanced each others performance. The soundtrack, the pacing and tone of the movie all worked really well together around DDL.

Same for the dark knight. Yes two face was kind of annoying, some weak action scenes, maggie gyllenhall. But these are small blemishes in a great, masterful comic book movie. Batman was the perfect opponent for Joker to create a deep philosophical and psychological conflict. The tone, pacing and the way the story unfolds was brilliant throughout the movie. The soundtrack is of course iconic. It just worked really well as a whole, and i think you have to judge it as a whole.
You're still going by the literal model. Think of it like this: people really like watching when Heath Ledger is on the screen and then when he's not on the screen they are waiting for him to come back. The rest isn't as engaging as he is.

You're still going by the literal model. Think of it like this: people really like watching when Heath Ledger is on the screen and then when he's not on the screen they are waiting for him to come back. The rest isn't as engaging as he is.

Yes I agree with that, Joker is the engine. I'm staying that's not a weakness of the movie, that's how it was meant to be seen.

When arnold is not on screen in Terminator 2 people are waiting for him to come back.

Yes I agree with that, Joker is the engine. I'm staying that's not a weakness of the movie, that's how it was meant to be seen.

When arnold is not on screen in Terminator 2 people are waiting for him to come back.
Stop taking it literally.

That's a bad example because the story and pacing are stronger than in THE DARK KNIGHT. Also, casting worked better -- E. Furlong notwithstanding.

Stop taking it literally.

That's a bad example because the story and pacing are stronger than in THE DARK KNIGHT. Also, casting worked better -- E. Furlong notwithstanding.

Stop nitpicking. It's a perfect example of how its not a problem for movies to have one character as their engine.

Stop nitpicking. It's a perfect example of how its not a problem for movies to have one character as their engine.
That's not the issue! You keep misinterpreting what you're hearing as something literal, plus you disagree and therefore confine this to a right vs wrong barometer. There is no "problem" per se, it's just that people don't think they film is as good as you do. They don't "have a problem." Don't take this the wrong way, but you have the problem. You have the problem with understanding what the criticism is, and you have a problem that THE DARK KNIGHT isn't getting the love you feel it deserves. I know what I mean, I know what they mean, I know what you mean, but you don't know what we mean.

That's not the issue! You keep misinterpreting what you're hearing as something literal, plus you disagree and therefore confine this to a right vs wrong barometer. There is no "problem" per se, it's just that people don't think they film is as good as you do. They don't "have a problem."

Dude seriously? You need to make stuff up to argue about?

I never said the people criticising it have a problem. I'm talking about the problems they see with the movie, like inconsistency or whatever else has been bought up.

And that's perfectly fine, we can have opposing points of views and discuss them. No need to make it into anything personal. But if you're gona make stuff up and put words in my mouth we won't get very far.

Also i see what this is, you didn't think the movie was that great and you want to fight about it with anyone who disagrees with you. That's why you're nitpicking over tiny things that don't even matter.

If you don't like the movie that's perfectly fine, but be a little more open minded and less combative.

Dude seriously? You need to make stuff up to argue about?

I never said the people criticising it have a problem. I'm talking about the problems they see with the movie, like inconsistency or whatever else has been bought up.

And that's perfectly fine, we can have opposing points of views and discuss them. No need to make it into anything personal. But if you're gona make stuff up and put words in my mouth we won't get very far.

Also i see what this is, you didn't think the movie was that great and you want to fight about it with anyone who disagrees with you. That's why you're nitpicking over tiny things that don't even matter.

If you don't like the movie that's perfectly fine, but be a little more open minded and less combative.
That's a bit off the mark, if you want to talk about putting words in mouths. I am not about dogging that film, but rather parsing out the criticism that you did not understand initially. You DO have a problem, because you said films "shouldn't be judged that way*." We're working through that. It's perfectly valid to say TDK is the best movie ITT and the best comic book movie too. Lots of people think that.

*"should be judged as a whole" were the words, and what I'm saying is that this IS judging as a whole.

Last edited:
Back