The Dana White Diet

Dana White was not responsible for making MMA huge, he's not even the match-maker for the UFC, so he shouldn't be credited with big fights.

The single most significant thing he did was play ball with Athletic Commissions and get MMA sanctioned, giving it a rule structure very similar to that of Boxing. He's more responsible for bringing in Sponsors and such, as well as Fighter contracts.

The single most significant thing he did was play ball with Athletic Commissions and get MMA sanctioned, giving it a rule structure very similar to that of Boxing. He's more responsible for bringing in Sponsors and such, as well as Fighter contracts.

Not to nitpick or argue with you, KK... but that stuff you listed seems pretty damn significant to increasing MMA's popularity, at least in the States.

lol wtf was that kid talking about... "Dana White has made MMA what it is today" are you serious? He has done more to freaking hurt it the past few years than help it.

Dana is like this generation's Don King ... you know, but without the hair...

Not to nitpick or argue with you, KK... but that stuff you listed seems pretty damn significant to increasing MMA's popularity, at least in the States.

It kept MMA alive in the states, not increase it's popularity. He opened the door, that's true, but the popularity of the Sport was built on the Gracies pre-Dana. Always has been.

Did he save it in the States? Sure. Did he create anything new aside from the rule-structure and sanctioning? No.

Pride would have still been what it was, Dana or no Dana.

It kept MMA alive in the states, not increase it's popularity. He opened the door, that's true, but the popularity of the Sport was built on the Gracies pre-Dana. Always has been.

Did he save it in the States? Sure. Did he create anything new aside from the rule-structure and sanctioning? No.

Pride would have still been what it was, Dana or no Dana.

I agree with absolutely all of your points here except for the popularity thing in the States. If Dana was responsible for sanctioning and bringing in sponsors... that would surely increase popularity in the States. Without sponsors and sanctioning it could never come close to a mainstream sporting event. Sure, there would always be hardcore fans and sure, the Gracies started the whole thing

Nice that people think Dana is actually responsible for the sanctioning. Lot more to it than that.

*sigh*

Why would anyone care what Dana White eats?

I agree with absolutely all of your points here except for the popularity thing in the States. If Dana was responsible for sanctioning and bringing in sponsors... that would surely increase popularity in the States. Without sponsors and sanctioning it could never come close to a mainstream sporting event. Sure, there would always be hardcore fans and sure, the Gracies started the whole thing… but without sanctioning many of MMA’s fans here in the USA wouldn’t even know it existed. But I agree that Pride would have still been what it was and outside of North America nothing would have probably changed, with or without Dana.

Because there's a difference between allowing for something to exist as opposed to making it popular. Post-Dana MMA could have still failed were it nor for a combination of the hiring of Fighters (which was partly his job) and the match-making (which is absolutely not his job). He helped, but it wasn't a singular effort and it can't be directly attributed to him. He's got no singular claim to that is what I'm saying. He can say he helped and was part of it, but not the whole shibang.

As far as the Gracies, they are the reason the UFC became a brand name. Dana can't claim that either. Don't you remember the GJJ explosion? Royce Gracie was touted through the early and mid-90's as unbeatable, and suddenly GJJ and BJJ schools started dotting the landscape. When Dan Severn came to town, that opened the idea that Wrestlers could also do well. All this transpired before Dana was the head honcho.

Nice that people think Dana is actually responsible for the sanctioning. Lot more to it than that.

Responsible for? No, it's a State Commission's job to sanction the Sport. Dana brought in the rule-structure that allowed for States to even consider the idea.

* Yawn *

One of the reasons I read the Training boards is to get away from "Dana White Sucks" and "No He Doesn't" threads. Please don't start that here...

EDIT: and of course I post the above before reading KK's post. I suppose this argument is OK here since it will be a tad more intelligent than in the Heavy forum.

*yawn*

This is actually a pretty decent discussion, one in which you absolutely don't have to partake in.

The single most significant thing he did was play ball with Athletic Commissions and get MMA sanctioned

The Zuffa myth lives on. Meyrowitz fought for sanctioning for years, and thanks to his efforts NJSAC introduced the Unified Rules and ran the first sanctioned MMA events, including a UFC card, under state sanctioning before Zuffa ever existed. When the UFC applied for Nevada sanctioning, using the Unified Rules, they were voted down by the commission which included Lorenzo Fertita (who voted "no" to sanctioning MMA). SEG was out of money, sold the UFC, and it was bought by the Fertitia's, who then reapplied for sanctioning in Nevada (ironically, despite voting against sanctioning MMA a few weeks prior) and this time got it. Shady, much?

And, for the record, I think Dana has done a pretty damn good job on the whole despite the crap he says. They have continued SEG policy of pursuing sanctioning in all states, but Dana and company did nothing to create any rules or have any hand in making the unified rules.

I think I see your point now, KK. Dana could have helped to get the sport more recognition but it was up to the sport as a whole capture fans and keep them.

It depends on how much credit you want to give Dana. Sure he has nothing to do with the matchmaking, but you could take it a step further and credit him for it anyway if he was the guy who hired the matchmaker.

That is just a sample. He prob eats a diet similar to that but not everyday like the article makes it seem.

I don't wanna follow Dana White's diet, I wouldn't wanna look like him.

Back