The customer is always right!

A bold status. You posted this surely knowing it’d be challenged lol. Respect.

For me I love my technical fights and I also love a good performance. Winky Wright’s been accused of being in some stinkers, but he’s gotta be in my Top 5 favorite boxers EVER to watch. Love the Jermain Taylor and Ike Quartey fights. That Ike Quartey fight was so badass to me lol. Battle of the high guards.

When I think genuine snoozefests though. Probably one of the first to come to mind is Andre Dirrell vs. Curtis Stevens. To me that’s the definition of a DREADFUL fight to watch

One fight I remember being accused of being boring was Jermain Taylor vs. Cory Spinks. I thought it was alright. Not exciting. But not boring. Suspenseful. I was a big fan of Jermain Taylor at the time. Always felt bad for how hated he was. It was a super duper close fight, and I’m glad Taylor got the decision even though I could def see the argument for giving it to Spinks

Just a few random thoughts I thought I’d put out there

A bold status. You posted this surely knowing it’d be challenged lol. Respect.

For me I love my technical fights and I also love a good performance. Winky Wright’s been accused of being in some stinkers, but he’s gotta be in my Top 5 favorite boxers EVER to watch. Love the Jermain Taylor and Ike Quartey fights. That Ike Quartey fight was so badass to me lol. Battle of the high guards.

When I think genuine snoozefests though. Probably one of the first to come to mind is Andre Dirrell vs. Curtis Stevens. To me that’s the definition of a DREADFUL fight to watch

One fight I remember being accused of being boring was Jermain Taylor vs. Cory Spinks. I thought it was alright. Not exciting. But not boring. Suspenseful. I was a big fan of Jermain Taylor at the time. Always felt bad for how hated he was. It was a super duper close fight, and I’m glad Taylor got the decision even though I could def see the argument for giving it to Spinks

Just a few random thoughts I thought I’d put out there
Mmm, Dirrell/Froch was another terrible fight. One of the worst I've seen.

Btw in another thread I saw you said you live in the Keys, I think? Have you ever seen the Great Randall Bailey out and about, I'm pretty sure he's a local there, too. Just wondering, I love that dude.

Mmm, Dirrell/Froch was another terrible fight. One of the worst I've seen.

Btw in another thread I saw you said you live in the Keys, I think? Have you ever seen the Great Randall Bailey out and about, I'm pretty sure he's a local there, too. Just wondering, I love that dude.

Yeah I live in the Keys. Never saw Randall Bailey down here. I know he was training in Key West but that was yearsssssss ago. I’ve been to a couple of his fights. Most notably the one with Juan Urango.

I have talked to him before though. 2011 at the heavyweight factory. Fort Lauderdale. Back when John David Jackson had his stable there. Man that was one of the funnest periods of my life. Remember that whole World Series Of Boxing thing that was going on? The team from Azerbaijan the Baku Fires was there. Randall Bailey went to war with a couple of them in sparring. Was pretty intense to watch. Nate Campbell was sparring the team too. That gym had 3 rings so there would be a lot of sparring going on at once. It was hard to pick which one to watch lol I had to go back and forth

I believe Ketchel/Johnson to be the most blatant fix in the sports history.
Yeah....so?

It's not like the real result was hidden....Jack would murder him in 30 seconds. Basically did.

Generally accepted story is that they were supposed to have 2 fixed fights then one real one.
I read that it was fixed to make it long enough to put in theaters to sell....they'd make way more money if it was a long competitive fight back then. It was like their version of ppv

I read that it was fixed to make it long enough to put in theaters to sell....they'd make way more money if it was a long competitive fight back then. It was like their version of ppv
Sounds more like pro wrestling than boxing. I'm honestly not a fan of that era.

You say you aren't a fan of that era but I could've sworn I remember you bragging about how you went to several of Jack's fights as a kid. You must not dislike it that much if you bothered to go.

You say you aren't a fan of that era but I could've sworn I remember you bragging about how you went to several of Jack's fights as a kid. You must not dislike it that much if you bothered to go.
Hate the player, not the game.

please explain why you think it was fixed. you know johnson broke ketchel's front teeth off, right? you don't give up your teeth for a fix. when you say stuff like that it makes me think you have never received a decent punch in the face. if you were ketchel, you don't throw a shot like that at the risk of finishing the fight, if your paid to take a dive. i believe the background story, that they were friends and johnson was taking it easy until ketchel though he had a golden opportunity to become the champ, and dropped johnson. big mistake, game over.

He was usually telling his "opponent" what to do next, most likely.
not sure what your saying about johnson, but is sounds pretty wacky. are you saying that they paid to keep the belt with the most hated man in boxing ever? do you doubt johnson's fighting abilities?

please explain why you think it was fixed. you know johnson broke ketchel's front teeth off, right?
Nah it really was.

Jack and Stanley were friends.

Stanley is the one who went against the script. He knocked Johnson down and Jack got up.and hit him so hard they say teeth were embedded in his glove

Nah it really was.

Stanley is the one who went against the script. He knocked Johnson down and Jack got up.and hit him so hard they say teeth were embedded in his glove
Causing someone to make a handsome living introducing the gumshield.

Causing someone to make a handsome living introducing the gumshield.
I couldn't imagine fighting without one. Your entire mouth would get cut to shit

Nah it really was.

it's not a fix if you don't follow the script. i don't think of it as a fix more like a friendly sparring session gone wrong. put yourself in ketchel's position. do you think a middleweight was going to go out aggressively against a heavy. johnson could have handled him so easily that he was being nice, right up until ketchel though he saw an opportunity. i would have done the same thing in ketchel's position. to say it is a fix implies that someone was paid to take a dive, which person was it?

it's not a fix if you don't follow the script. i don't think of it as a fix more like a friendly sparring session gone wrong. put yourself in ketchel's position. do you think a middleweight was going to go out aggressively against a heavy. johnson could have handled him so easily that he was being nice, right up until ketchel though he saw an opportunity. i would have done the same thing in ketchel's position. to say it is a fix implies that someone was paid to take a dive, which person was it?
Im not about to squabble over semantics

But if you and i are supposed to fight and go out following any plan/agreement whatsoever it's fixed to a degree

Think about what the word fix literally means and apply it to us planning on how we're gonna fight eachother like some stage performance. It's a fix.

please explain why you think it was fixed. you know johnson broke ketchel's front teeth off, right? you don't give up your teeth for a fix. when you say stuff like that it makes me think you have never received a decent punch in the face. if you were ketchel, you don't throw a shot like that at the risk of finishing the fight, if your paid to take a dive. i believe the background story, that they were friends and johnson was taking it easy until ketchel though he had a golden opportunity to become the champ, and dropped johnson. big mistake, game over.
Just watch it. Its a clear fake. There are times when it appears Johnson was even holding Ketchel up. They were talking to each other and laughing. Take a really close look at the KD when Johnson goes down, no shot even lands and he's on his way down before the punch even gets there.
Time stamped-

That was a pretty common thing back then. Thats why guys would fight each other so many times back then. 2 out of 3 fights would be works. One guy wins one, the other wins the other then the 3rd was supposed to be on the up and up.

Back