The Curse of the Blue Belt

LordarshynBJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well guys, maybe a month or two ago I got promoted to my blue belt. I was happy as fuck but I think I'm cursed!

I have been able to train maybe 6 days since then. The day after I got it I dislocated my shoulder and had to take time off. Came back for a few days, and what do you know, I got fucking ringworm, so I've missed the last week and a half.

I want to train so bad that I am having dreams about it, and starting to get slightly depressed because I just got the blue, and don't want my game to revert back to white belt level.

I am getting severely pissed that I can't train so I figured I'd vent here.

Any similar experiences?

It won't revert, if anything you will be rusty for a session or two and be back to 100%. Breaks are good, I came back from a 3 month break BETTER than what I was. Dreaming about jiu-jitsu allowed me to go over techniques in my mind and analyze MY versions of them.. sounds crazy but a lot of subs I have improved simply by *thinking* about them and visualizing it in my head, as if i were drilling it ...

phat_white_booty.jpg

That sucks. Try getting some kenshield to help protect yourself from ringworm. You'll be ok to roll soon enough. I've seen plenty of people take a break, jump back in then hurt themselves. Just don't go crazy when you return.

Don't get too upset about it. Just relax, enjoy the time to rest, and use it to go over your technique mentally. I train fanatically as best I can, though when I'm for whatever reason unable to I find a 2 or 3 week break actually helps improve my technique somehow. Doesn't hurt to give things time to get absorbed in your muscle memory.

Well guys, maybe a month or two ago I got promoted to my blue belt. I was happy as fuck but I think I'm cursed!

I have been able to train maybe 6 days since then. The day after I got it I dislocated my shoulder and had to take time off. Came back for a few days, and what do you know, I got fucking ringworm, so I've missed the last week and a half.

I want to train so bad that I am having dreams about it, and starting to get slightly depressed because I just got the blue, and don't want my game to revert back to white belt level.

I am getting severely pissed that I can't train so I figured I'd vent here.

Any similar experiences?

You stopped training when you got ringworm? Your awesome! I hate guys who train with it!

It won't revert, if anything you will be rusty for a session or two and be back to 100%. Breaks are good, I came back from a 3 month break BETTER than what I was. Dreaming about jiu-jitsu allowed me to go over techniques in my mind and analyze MY versions of them.. sounds crazy but a lot of subs I have improved simply by *thinking* about them and visualizing it in my head, as if i were drilling it ...

so true! i always tell people this when they have to take a break (1-3 months) that mentally you will gain strength and in my experience i come back alittle out of shape physically but mentally i have actually progressed my jitz game.

GL

No, that has nothing to do with getting a blue belt. That is just jiu-jitsu...deal with it.

No, that has nothing to do with getting a blue belt. That is just jiu-jitsu...deal with it.

I know that, but it all happened right after getting my blue and it made a good title.

It sucks because since I got promoted I've been more motivated and want to train more than I ever have...

Put a band aid on that shit :]...spread the love, I do!

Back