The Curious Case of Jose Aldo's Legacy

Gearc10

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Now that The Notorious Conor Mcgregor has decided to keep his FW belt I’m interested in hearing the thoughts of likeminded hard core fans on the career and now plight of Jose Aldo.

For those of you who haven’t followed the sport of UFC for a long time well, Jose Aldo was in fact the champion of smaller regional UFC organization called WEC, short for World Extreme Catfighting. Although UFC was relatively small back in those days there were a few Brazilians playing it and that’s why they had a few champions way back then too. Now they have none unless you consider Jose one, which I don’t as he was handed the belt and with Conor declaring he’s keeping it, that leaves Amanda Nunez who will pass that back to Rhonda next week. So in short, as of next week there won’t be one Brazilian UFC champion, not one…nada!

Let’s examine the career of Jose. Although he was the champion on a small regional circuit that probably didn’t have enough fighters on their roster to post a top 10, he did initially win fights with the UFC. Yes they was handpicked cans to get Brazilians behind the sport such as a brawler in Mark Hominick, a failed wrestler in Kenny Florian, a raw Chad Mendes, a bantamweight Frankie Edgar, an injured Korean Zombie, then a gimme fight with some wannabe Latino followed by a war which he lost versus Chad Mendes. He also lost to Kenny, Frankie & Mark Hominick but with the sport trying to get Brazilians behind UFC you can draw your own conclusions as to why he was given those decisions.

When he finally stepped up to face his first real live opponent in The Notorious Conor Mcgregor, he was knocked out cold with the very first punch. While Mcgregor has gone on to become a multi weight champion at the one time and even recorded an emphatic beat down at 170 against IMHO the best fighter in that weight, Aldo has been moaning about a rematch with Mcgregor way back down at 145. Funnily enough he was offered the chance when his fellow Brazilian pull out artist RDA also withdrew from fighting Mcgregor, in the knowledge he would also end up on the highlight reel. Jose wouldn’t take the fight so is clearly not interested in getting knocked spark out again for another few million.

What I don’t understand is that a number of people around here are saying that Jose has a legacy for defending his belt, yet he had years to go up in weight but never would and now the Notorious Conor Mcgregor has surpassed him in no time and holds 2 belts, whereas Jose has nada and will forever be remembered for getting slept in 13 seconds.

he went from hero to zero in 13 seconds

giphy.gif

Now that The Notorious Conor Mcgregor has decided to keep his FW belt I’m interested in hearing the thoughts of likeminded hard core fans on the career and now plight of Jose Aldo.

For those of you who haven’t followed the sport of UFC for a long time well, Jose Aldo was in fact the champion of smaller regional UFC organization called WEC, short for World Extreme Catfighting. Although UFC was relatively small back in those days there were a few Brazilians playing it and that’s why they had a few champions way back then too. Now they have none unless you consider Jose one, which I don’t as he was handed the belt and with Conor declaring he’s keeping it, that leaves Amanda Nunez who will pass that back to Rhonda next week. So in short, as of next week there won’t be one Brazilian UFC champion, not one…nada!

Let’s examine the career of Jose. Although he was the champion on a small regional circuit that probably didn’t have enough fighters on their roster to post a top 10, he did initially win fights with the UFC. Yes they was handpicked cans to get Brazilians behind the sport such as a brawler in Mark Hominick, a failed wrestler in Kenny Florian, a raw Chad Mendes, a bantamweight Frankie Edgar, an injured Korean Zombie, then a gimme fight with some wannabe Latino followed by a war which he lost versus Chad Mendes. He also lost to Kenny, Frankie & Mark Hominick but with the sport trying to get Brazilians behind UFC you can draw your own conclusions as to why he was given those decisions.

When he finally stepped up to face his first real live opponent in The Notorious Conor Mcgregor, he was knocked out cold with the very first punch. While Mcgregor has gone on to become a multi weight champion at the one time and even recorded an emphatic beat down at 170 against IMHO the best fighter in that weight, Aldo has been moaning about a rematch with Mcgregor way back down at 145. Funnily enough he was offered the chance when his fellow Brazilian pull out artist RDA also withdrew from fighting Mcgregor, in the knowledge he would also end up on the highlight reel. Jose wouldn’t take the fight so is clearly not interested in getting knocked spark out again for another few million.

What I don’t understand is that a number of people around here are saying that Jose has a legacy for defending his belt, yet he had years to go up in weight but never would and now the Notorious Conor Mcgregor has surpassed him in no time and holds 2 belts, whereas Jose has nada and will forever be remembered for getting slept in 13 seconds.

man, i have no clue where your hate about Brazilian fighters come from, and I really dont care actually. You mixed up a lot of stuff in your thread, maybe you are just stupid, or stupid and delusional, or a stupid delusional troll. Kill yourself and make the world better. You are useless.

I dont hold it against Aldo for not moving up when conor did. Aldo didnt have the support of the UFC to go and do that. Aldo had kept it real and constantly criticized the UFC when most were afraid to do so. He had a completley different relationship with the UFC,so when the UFC got a box office smash in conor they were DELIGHTED at Conor's disrespectful antics against Aldo. They couldnt wait for Conor to topple him...and them putting them in there against Khabib is NOT the ufc trying to help him.

Didn't read. Aldo is the FW GOAT, and it isn't even close. Beating a GOAT does not make you a GOAT (see Weidman and other examples). You know all of this.

Fuck you Conor dick riders!

WAR FW GOAT AND FW CHAMP JOSE ALDO!

Seriously, when all is said and done, the only reason why people will remember Jose Aldo is because of Conor McGregor.

Seriously, when all is said and done, the only reason why people will remember Jose Aldo is because of Conor McGregor.

that shows how much you know about fighting and how much you can appreciate technical and skilled fighters. nice, you dont need to say anything else, you already described yourself

Soooo...this is your champion? I'm a 6-time marathon winner but even Connor might give me a race for my money.

Back