The crowd in Thailand fights

Saenchai

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was watching a couple of Lumpinee fights on youtube.
And some times I hear the crowd chant "knee! knee!"
So my question is, are they really chanting the English word knee when fighters clinch?
Has the crowd there become accustom to English due to the rise in muay thai popularity?

This is a tough question. It either is, or it's one of five inflections of the Thai syllable "ni" which have five different meanings.

They're saying "Dee!" not "Knee!" It means "good!" or "bravo!"
Also, how do I know that apizur doesn't speak Thai? :D

Yes they say Knee, Uppercut, Hook Sai...

They also say cheer. My trainer was actually surprised to learn cheer is an english word.

They're saying "Dee!" not "Knee!" It means "good!" or "bravo!"
Also, how do I know that apizur doesn't speak Thai? :D

You speak Thai, English, and sarcasm? Bravo.
Am I wrong in assuming the accenting of the syllable changes the meaning? I mean... I learned that from a woman named Chaweewan who moved from Thailand a year before she told me that.

Yes they say Knee, Uppercut, Hook Sai...

They also say cheer. My trainer was actually surprised to learn cheer is an english word.
"Yab" too! Although it seems like it's usually more the announcers, trainers, and fighters more than the crowd cheering, right? :)

You speak Thai, English, and sarcasm? Bravo.
Am I wrong in assuming the accenting of the syllable changes the meaning? I mean... I learned that from a woman named Chaweewan who moved from Thailand a year before she told me that.
I was kidding, relax. :icon_lol:
My Thai language skills are actually still so-so (trying to pick up more as time goes on). And yes, what you said is indeed true -- just a little out of context in light of the TS's question. :D

I was watching a couple of Lumpinee fights on youtube.
And some times I hear the crowd chant "knee! knee!"
So my question is, are they really chanting the English word knee when fighters clinch?
Has the crowd there become accustom to English due to the rise in muay thai popularity?

Thai is my mother tongue, and my Thai is definitely better than my English. Having said that, I believe they were chanting "Tee", which literally means "Hit". Tee Khao= hit with knee, or simply shortened to "Tee" only.
Initially I thought you were saying "Nee", which is to flee. But then you mentioned clinch.:icon_chee

Back