The CRANE Pass by Alberto Crane (vid)

AthletcBodyCare

Orange Belt
Reaction score

For this technique demonstration, Alberto Crane (UFC Vet, 1st American BB under Gracie Barra, and all around good guy) was gracious enough to show us his signature pass: The CRANE Pass. The pass is especially effective form the closed guard and half guard. Be sure to watch after the instruction, for the moved being used by AthleticBodyCare athlete, Orlando Sanchez, to win the Blue Belt 2010 Absolute World Title!

See you on the mat.

Very nice, good pass.

Nice, I think I saw a video of him doing this pass in ADCC qualifiers from 2004. Cool stuff!

I love this pass and use the crap out of it.

Nice pass but did anyone else think the occasional random hexes across the screen were necessary?

Yeah thanks for the vid but the honeycomb seizure flashes and miniblinds look was seriously distracting

Has anyone tried it? Point taken on the hexagons and will leave those out next time.

If that pass doesn't work then sucker punch one of your students in the face. It worked for him at the 2010 IBJJF American Nationals.

If that pass doesn't work then sucker punch one of your students in the face. It worked for him at the 2010 IBJJF American Nationals.

But does this pass work against the de la baby guard?

Someone film a counter to this pass and call it the "blue belt's revenge"...

Someone film a counter to this pass and call it the "blue belt's revenge"...
No counter exists for this pass. Otherwise he wouldn't put his name on it. In order to defend, you must wait for the opponent to successfully complete the pass, then you are free to try and escape the side mount. I repeat, THE IS NO KNOWN COUNTER TO THE CRANE PASS.

Question. You know that sweep from sit-up guard where they come up and grab the standing opponents lapel, then lace it through their legs and reach behind the opponent's leg to grab it with their outside arm and then start to work the sweep? Basically this is the position, but the bottom player would have the right lapel of the standing player laced through his own leg and the bottom player would be controlling that lapel with his left hand.

BJJ%20137.JPG

I'm wondering whether (assuming they get that lapel through your leg and around to the outside hand), you can counter by stripping the bottom player's lapel like Alberto does (so his left lapel in the pic above), pummeling your hand through to the mat on the inside of their near hip and then working this pass.

What are your thoughts guys?

Last edited:
I dont know, im pretty cautious about halfguard passes where i dont have control over the outside leg or where i dont have a free arm to prevent being bridged. i think too little control is being exerted and a explosive guy could reverse this with the right timing.

Im probably losing some details but i would like to see.

When I saw this bumped I knew it was going to be a crack about Crane punching that dude.

Solid variation on a classic pass. I've been using this a bit lately. I like the lapel control because you can attack with the x choke, too.

Back