the correct way to do 5 reps of deadlift

Rusk

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
should i drop the barbell ones i lifted it up and then pick it up again or should i hold on to it the whole time while deadlifting 5 rep?

hope i make sense

and if both are right then what is the difference?

Last edited:
Whatever you feel like.

Sometimes I feel like a drop, sometimes I don't.

I personally reset each rep...but that's me. Just keep your lower back from rounding, whatever you do.

I don't know about dropping it vs lowering it. However, there's nothing wrong with resetting each rep to maintain form. I have to, thanks to fucking hezagonal plates at my gym...

I think it depends on the weight and your ability to hold good form after each rep.

My preference is to reset on any sets above 70% my 1RM. If grip strength is a concern then just hold the bar for a couple seconds at the top of each rep.

Don't slowly lower it, but don't just drop it. Keep your hands on the bar, and control the bar, so it doesn't bounce too much, or roll. Take your time to set-up properly at the beginning of each rep. There's no rush.

i dont lean down to put the bar at rest, but i dont drop from a full pull either. i go back down about halfway, controlled, and then release it and reset.

i found that when i leaned all the way down to sit the bar back down my form was shitty on the following pull.

Hmm, interesting stuff here. I'm not dropping the bar, I lower right down, because I have a cheap-ass bar. I'm also not releasing my grip between reps or resetting. I'm doing 531 and usually hitting anywhere from 8-13 reps on my AMRAP sets. I feel like my form is fine, and I feel like it's my grip that fails first, preventing me from busting out a few more reps. Throughout the week, though, my DL AMRAP's are my favourite sets, they leave me shaking.

Hmm, interesting stuff here. I'm not dropping the bar, I lower right down, because I have a cheap-ass bar. I'm also not releasing my grip between reps or resetting. I'm doing 531 and usually hitting anywhere from 8-13 reps on my AMRAP sets. I feel like my form is fine, and I feel like it's my grip that fails first, preventing me from busting out a few more reps. Throughout the week, though, my DL AMRAP's are my favourite sets, they leave me shaking.

Other than just taking time to get set-up and tight at the beginning of each rep, taking a few seconds between reps makes each rep more like the first. And since the goal is usually to improve the one rep max, training each rep closer to those conditions is generally considered beneficial. That's not to say that you always do rep in such a way, but that doing some different would be like doing a deadlift variation.

Other than just taking time to get set-up and tight at the beginning of each rep, taking a few seconds between reps makes each rep more like the first. And since the goal is usually to improve the one rep max, training each rep closer to those conditions is generally considered beneficial. That's not to say that you always do rep in such a way, but that doing some different would be like doing a deadlift variation.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. Good to keep in mind if I need to deal with stalled progress.

In my case, 1RM really isn't any concern, I'm getting stronger for climbing, not for power lifting. The ability to sustain strength through 4-7 climbing moves over 30-45 seconds is more beneficial than one single large dynamic movement.

I agree with Tosa. A beginner should lower the weight in a controlled manner and reset between each rep to make sure form is solid for each rep. Once your form is consistently good you can try touch 'n' go.

i dont lean down to put the bar at rest, but i dont drop from a full pull either. i go back down about halfway, controlled, and then release it and reset.

i found that when i leaned all the way down to sit the bar back down my form was shitty on the following pull.

If you choose not to crossfit-out and actually lower the bar to the floor, the bar path should be nearly identical to the way it came up, only in reverse. If putting the bar down is throwing your form off, you may actually need to work on lowering it correctly. Initiate lowering it by sticking your butt back, keep your hips high until that thing gets past your knees, then bend your knees til it touches down.

I usually control the descent and reset after every rep. I find that my form gets crappy if I do touch and go.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I have many questions about the continuum between 'good' form and 'bad' form. Maybe I'll collect my thoughts and start a new thread.

I put the bar down the way I pick it up, but in reverse: stick my ass out until the bar is just in front of my knees, then bend my legs to return it to the ground, while keeping my back tight and maintaining my back angle. (I've found that this is actually a decent way to teach the conventional deadlift to people- helps them to separate the knee extension and hip extension portions of the lift, and to understand the mechanics of each.)

I generally try to put the bar down reasonably softly, although if I am tired or close to my max, it goes down a bit heavier. I guess I am worried about damaging the bar.

If you choose not to crossfit-out and actually lower the bar to the floor, the bar path should be nearly identical to the way it came up, only in reverse. If putting the bar down is throwing your form off, you may actually need to work on lowering it correctly. Initiate lowering it by sticking your butt back, keep your hips high until that thing gets past your knees, then bend your knees til it touches down.

Exactly what I just said. Woo-hoo!

I don't want to derail this thread, but I have many questions about the continuum between 'good' form and 'bad' form. Maybe I'll collect my thoughts and start a new thread.

Good form is what minimizes the risk of injury, and will ultimately lead to the most weight being lifted. Where there's a difference between those two ends, then it's a personal decision based on risk and reward.

Sometimes I touch and go, sometimes I reset. I never drop the bar though, in case I break the plates or damage the bar- at my gym, a number of plates have been broken from being dropped.

Back