The correct term for the brazilian kick?

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
What would that be?

Brazilian%20Kick_dojo.jpg

Brazilian kick, triangle kick, questionmark kick are the ones I've heard.
Read a fairly long thread about it on some forum some years back (might have been bullshido) where they were trying to figure out the "official" name, but as far as I can remember it never got anywhere.

i want a english term. not a japanese one.

I don't know what it's called but it's one of my favourite techniques ever (to watch, could never achieve that level of flexibility myself).

Kwonkicker (TKD practitioner) calls it a "downward roundhouse kick" in his tutorial.

Brazilian kick, triangle kick, questionmark kick are the ones I've heard.
Read a fairly long thread about it on some forum some years back (might have been bullshido) where they were trying to figure out the "official" name, but as far as I can remember it never got anywhere.

This plus Fake front kick roundhouse kick, Neck kick, and Upside down kick. I don't think there is a proper english term. People call it different names depending on their training backgrounds

It does not have a single name, but is called several things.
Ademir DaCosta -the guy that originally caused it to be called "the brazilian kick" calls it Mae kubi mawashi geri that is front neck roundkick.
In Japan many calls it tate (vertical) kubi (neck) mawashi geri (roundhouse kick/round kick). Sometimes this is shortened to tate kubi geri or even just tate geri.
In shinkyokushin it is sometimes called maha geri since that is the name Norichika Tsukamoto use for it.
But quite often even the Japanese calls it the Brazilian kick.

Some styles calls it oroshi mawashi geri which translates roughly to downward roundkick -which is pretty descriptive.
Sometimes it is called Sankaku geri -which translates to triangular kick -describing the ^ movement. But this name is also used for other kicks.

There is simply no agreed upon english or Japanese term for it.

What makes this kick unique is not that it goes down or hits the neck, its the feint built into its mechanics.

The kick travels vertically until its apex where it turns over into a round kick...so starts as front kick ends as round kick. The last bit of the kick can be any angle of sideways, still slightly up, totally horizontal, or downward and it hits the head or neck.

That's what is unique. Just about someone from every style has a version of it...so there's not a single source name. It's not from Brazil, it didn't originate there, it was just popularized by a Brazilian fighter when the name caught on.

I originally developed it in TKD, and never had a name for it. I just classified it as "my" way of doing a dolya chagi (round kick). I didn't even know that anyone else had developed this kick. But then I wasn't an adult yet either.

Japanese have several names. Japanese words for neck kick, downward kick, high angle kick. There's not a single official name. It's karate that Brazil got it from, seems to be a trend because they got BJJ from Japan too.

So I say we just vote on an official name: I say "illusion kick"!

Ya? Too gay?

Last edited:
Fake to Upper Chop Kick with External Rotation. It's also what you call the sneaky bugger that lands it on you.

What makes this kick unique is not that it goes down or hits the neck, its the feint built into its mechanics.

The kick travels vertically until its apex where it turns over into a round kick...so starts as front kick ends as round kick. The last bit of the kick can be any angle of sideways, still slightly up, totally horizontal, or downward and it hits the head or neck.

That's what is unique. Just about someone from every style has a version of it...so there's not a single source name. It's not from Brazil, it didn't originate there, it was just popularized by a Brazilian fighter when the name caught on.

I originally developed it in TKD, and never had a name for it. I just classified it as "my" way of doing a dolya chagi (round kick). I didn't even know that anyone else had developed this kick. But then I wasn't an adult yet either.

Japanese have several names. Japanese words for neck kick, downward kick, high angle kick. There's not a single official name.

It's karate that Brazil got it from, seems to be a trend because they got BJJ from Japan too. I say we just vote on an official name:

I vote "illusion kick"! Ya? Too gay?

Is this what you meant by textbook definitions?

Ah crap, i know it. I thought it was too physic-y. Let me have a go at that again, plz?
EDIT: And now i completely forgot what i was having in my head about textbook definition of a teep. Shit.

well seeing as i was taught that kick and we have trained using that kick since i started in 1984 , i dont think its anything new , the grandmaster who showed me that said it wasnt from tkd , that he developed it from his karate days ,

we called it a rag kick , because it looks like you are flipping your leg like a rag , also when your coach calls out for a left rag kick , the other guys dont know what he means .

personally i like joe rogans classification of it as the questionmark kick ,, because that shape is exactly what it is supposed to be like .

I think brazilian kick works, I've yet to come across anyone who didn't understand what was meant by that. Of course, that might be because most of the people I would discuss such things with are k-1 fans and would immediately think of Glaube Feitosa or Francisco Filho.
It might not be a very descriptive or strictly correct name for that matter, but as long as people understand what you mean that's surely what matters most.

I dont like the term brazilian kick. because there is nothing brazilian about it. Its not like there are more brazilian fighters then uses it compared to strikers from other places in the world.

Its just because it was used in k-1 by, what.. 2 karate guys from brazil?

Yeah, like I said, not a correct name strictly speaking, but people are likely to understand what you mean if you say it.

The real name of the brazilian kick..

Sloppy kick or overrated or not clean muay thai technique. Says my old instructor

Back