The contenders for the next Bantamweight Title-shot, who should get it?

RayA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The way I see it, there are four guys who you could argue for a TS. EDIT: The order I put these guys was random.

1. Raphael Assuncao- Perennial top five contender who's never fought for the Bantamweight title. It's funny and sad how this guy is probably the most deserving out of all, yet the least wanted or interesting to get it.
Highlights-UFN-120-Best-of-RAPHAEL-ASSUNCAO-vs-Mathew-Lopez.gif

Why he should get it:
A. He's 11-1 in the division, and is currently on a 4 fight win streak, the longest streak out of the other 3 guys on this list.
B. He has a win over TJ, the current champ, and has Marlon Moraes on his current streak, the guy that many are saying deserves the TS the most.

Why he shouldn't get it
A. His former win over TJ doesn't really mean much now. It was many moons ago (5 years) and it was a super close decision that many scored for TJ. They then re-matched only to have TJ come on top in a somewhat uneventful, but absolutely clear victory. It's very hard to envision him winning considering their past fights, and where they currently stand.
B. He has the remarkable ability to make any fighter he faces look average, make the fight uneventful, and then win by split decision. He fights safe, and isn't that fun to watch. As much as he deserves it, only Raphael and his best friends want to see this fight.

2. Henry Cejudo- The former Olympic Gold Medalist and the only man to dethrone the once P4P king.

Why he should get it
A. It's another champ vs champ fight. The guy is willing to do what MM hasn't done during his long reign as champ, move up. It's a fun match up, and It's interesting to see how the top of Flyweight does against the top of Bantamweight.

Why he shouldn't get it
A. He just won the belt, and not even in convincing fashion. many had it scored for Mighty Mouse, and out of all the instant rubber matches recently, Demetrius would be one of the more deserving after reigning for so long. It's actually hard to argue against a rematch for MM.

3. Dominic Cruz- Still heralded by many as the BW GOAT. The guy hasn't fought in a long time, but he has been always vocal about ring rust not being real.
TangibleColossalAfricanhornbill.gif

Why he should get it
A. Copy and pasted from above, he is still heralded by many as the BW GOAT. If TJ wants to be known as the greatest BW, Cruz is definitely a must on his resume.
B. Dominic is currently 1-0 with TJ. Despite the split among many fans, fighters, and media, Cruz got the nod in their last fight.
C. Stylistically, he is one of the most interesting and fun fights TJ can have right now.

Why he shouldn't get it
A. He hasn't fought in almost 2 years. He also hasn't had a single fight since losing the belt, even having to pull out of a fight with Jimmie Rivera. It doesn't make much sense to go from contender fight with Rivera, to TS, hopping over everyone who's been staying active.
B. This may not be an argument as to why he shouldn't get it, as it is for why he might not get it. TJ doesn't want him to get a TS. In all fairness, despite the close decsion, TJ didn't get his immediate rematch, and had to wade through the #2 contender in Assuncao, and then the next #2 contender in Linker before getting another TS. Meanwhile, Cruz got an easy money fight against Urijah Faber, and then skipped over everyone else for #5 ranked Garbrandt. TJ will most likely be spiteful about this until Dom fights somebody.

4. Marlon Moraes- The man who kicks you so hard, you die into a dab.
nBuMVt2.gif

Why he should get it
A. While Assuncao has the longest win streak, Moraes has the most impressive, in impressive fashion. After eeking past a split decision with John Dodson, he proceeded explode Rivera's and Sterling's heads with kicks in the very first round.
B. He is one of the most exciting match-ups for TJ atm. A diverse skillset with knockout power to boot. His previous two fights both being performance of the nights, and is almost sure to give TJ an eventful run for his money.

Why he shouldn't get it
A. He lost to Raphael Assuncao, the other guy on this list. This is pretty much the only reason why he shouldn't be next imo. It doesn't seem right to let him go infront of the guy who beat him, when the guy who beat him has a longer streak and has also been staying active.

IMO, I'd say it should go to Moraes or Assuncao, but I reeeaaally don't care to see a trilogy with Raphael. What do you guys think?

TJ VS CODY 3
ti-dzhej6-1.gif

Last edited:
Option 5 is just stupid, Cody will get CTE

Option 5 is just stupid, Cody will get CTE
Yeah, that was just a joke. Cody should honestly consider FLW since he came into the fight at 142 lbs. As long as TJ is champ, he's not getting another TS unless he goes on a complete tear

Moraes.

Let Cruz and Assuncao fight. I don't care if Assuncao beat Moraes, he already lost to Tj twice.

I’d go Marlon. I think how you win has to add to your credibility as a contender.

Would watch the shit out of Cody vs. TJ trilogy. Doesn't make sense at all but it's a guaranteed spectacle and somebody (read: Cody) will get KTFOd.

But yeah, UFC should give it to Cruz.

Cruz should be number 4.Why on earth would he get a title shot after being inactive for 2 years and pulling out of a fight?

I still wanna see Dom fight TJ, that chapter needs to be closed before Cruz's body breaks down completely

Moraes.

Let Cruz and Assuncao fight. I don't care if Assuncao beat Moraes, he already lost to Tj twice.
Assuncao vs Cruz is nothing but a win-win fight. Cruz wins, it makes it much more fair for him to get the TS after taking out the arguable #1 contender. Assuncao wins, finally has a case for a TS that nobody could deny.

Cruz should be number 4.Why on earth would he get a title shot after being inactive for 2 years and pulling out of a fight?
I actually didn't list these guys in order of most deserving, though in hindsight, leading with Assuncao and saying that he's arguably the most deserving does give that impression.

Assuncao vs Cruz is nothing but a win-win fight. Cruz wins, it makes it much more fair for him to get the TS after taking out the arguable #1 contender. Assuncao wins, finally has a case for a TS that nobody could deny.
Exactly. Assuncao needs that signature win imo, and Cruz needs any win.

Either way im sure Cruz and Tj will tangle in the octagon again in the near future.

Agree. Ridiculous for Dom to be so certain he’s deserving. Hasn’t won a fight in years.

Since he last won (vs TJ), TJ has won four fights I believe. Assuncao prob 2-3 and Moraes prob 2-3.

Moraes for sure!!!. Assuancao is pure sleep aid, all his fights look exactly the same, its like a light sparring session. Cruz has been far too inactive, he needs a top win first.

Marlon vs. TJ and Cruz vs. Assauncao for the shot after.

I like seeing necktats getting ktfo. So make it a trilogy.. fuck it

Wouldn't be mad at any of the four mentioned. Assuncao is most deserving... but could see a fight with Moraes. Which would be a Let Me Bang...

moraes, but wouldn't mind cejudo at 125. getting a second belt for dillashaw would be huge. oh, it's for the BW title shot. then it's moraes

The way I see it, there are four guys who you could argue for a TS. EDIT: The order I put these guys was random.

1. Raphael Assuncao- Perennial top five contender who's never fought for the Bantamweight title. It's funny and sad how this guy is probably the most deserving out of all, yet the least wanted or interesting to get it.
Highlights-UFN-120-Best-of-RAPHAEL-ASSUNCAO-vs-Mathew-Lopez.gif

Why he should get it:
A. He's 11-1 in the division, and is currently on a 4 fight win streak, the longest streak out of the other 3 guys on this list.
B. He has a win over TJ, the current champ, and has Marlon Moraes on his current streak, the guy that many are saying deserves the TS the most.

Why he shouldn't get it
A. His former win over TJ doesn't really mean much now. It was many moons ago (5 years) and it was a super close decision that many scored for TJ. They then re-matched only to have TJ come on top in a somewhat uneventful, but absolutely clear victory. It's very hard to envision him winning considering their past fights, and where they currently stand.
B. He has the remarkable ability to make any fighter he faces look average, make the fight uneventful, and then win by split decision. He fights safe, and isn't that fun to watch. As much as he deserves it, only Raphael and his best friends want to see this fight.

2. Henry Cejudo- The former Olympic Gold Medalist and the only man to dethrone the once P4P king.

Why he should get it
A. It's another champ vs champ fight. The guy is willing to do what MM hasn't done during his long reign as champ, move up. It's a fun match up, and It's interesting to see how the top of Flyweight does against the top of Bantamweight.

Why he shouldn't get it
A. He just won the belt, and not even in convincing fashion. many had it scored for Mighty Mouse, and out of all the instant rubber matches recently, Demetrius would be one of the more deserving after reigning for so long. It's actually hard to argue against a rematch for MM.

3. Dominic Cruz- Still heralded by many as the BW GOAT. The guy hasn't fought in a long time, but he has been always vocal about ring rust not being real.
TangibleColossalAfricanhornbill.gif

Why he should get it
A. Copy and pasted from above, he is still heralded by many as the BW GOAT. If TJ wants to be known as the greatest BW, Cruz is definitely a must on his resume.
B. Dominic is currently 1-0 with TJ. Despite the split among many fans, fighters, and media, Cruz got the nod in their last fight.
C. Stylistically, he is one of the most interesting and fun fights TJ can have right now.

Why he shouldn't get it
A. He hasn't fought in almost 2 years. He also hasn't had a single fight since losing the belt, even having to pull out of a fight with Jimmie Rivera. It doesn't make much sense to go from contender fight with Rivera, to TS, hopping over everyone who's been staying active.
B. This may not be an argument as to why he shouldn't get it, as it is for why he might not get it. TJ doesn't want him to get a TS. In all fairness, despite the close decsion, TJ didn't get his immediate rematch, and had to wade through the #2 contender in Assuncao, and then the next #2 contender in Linker before getting another TS. Meanwhile, Cruz got an easy money fight against Urijah Faber, and then skipped over everyone else for #5 ranked Garbrandt. TJ will most likely be spiteful about this until Dom fights somebody.

4. Marlon Moraes- The man who kicks you so hard, you die into a dab.
nBuMVt2.gif

Why he should get it
A. While Assuncao has the longest win streak, Moraes has the most impressive, in impressive fashion. After eeking past a split decision with John Dodson, he proceeded explode Rivera's and Sterling's heads with kicks in the very first round.
B. He is one of the most exciting match-ups for TJ atm. A diverse skillset with knockout power to boot. His previous two fights both being performance of the nights, and is almost sure to give TJ an eventful run for his money.

Why he shouldn't get it
A. He lost to Raphael Assuncao, the other guy on this list. This is pretty much the only reason why he shouldn't be next imo. It doesn't seem right to let him go infront of the guy who beat him, when the guy who beat him has a longer streak and has also been staying active.

IMO, I'd say it should go to Moraes or Assuncao, but I reeeaaally don't care to see a trilogy with Raphael. What do you guys think?

TJ VS CODY 3
ti-dzhej6-1.gif

Assuncao should be next. But he lost to TJ, so maybe we make Assuncao & Cruz to take the winner of TJ & Moraes...

I think Faber should come out of retirement and get it.

Or they should offer it to MM.
Now that he has no belt, he might be interested.

They could also offer it to Frankie.
He’d probably beat TJ too.

But TJ has accomplished a lot.
I believe that he deserves a big money fight against Brock Lesnar.

Back