International The Chinese have landed: Huawei announces first 5G smartphone chip

I'd hope so. The Droid X was from 2011. But this is a somewhat ironic comment to offer up because Motorola is owned by Lenovo-- it's a Chinese company, too, bud.
Lenovo is a Chinese company? If that is the case you should be in favor of Chinese hardware. I have worked in IT for a long time now and we still have Lenovo laptops that some users refuse to give up because they are work horses and never have any issues, as compared to their crappy Dell and :hp counterparts. I'm just saying the Huawai(sp) for its price is fantastic. If the Chinese want to spy on pictures of my kids, fine whatever.

Last edited:
Lenovo is a Chinese company? If that is the case you should be in favor of Chinese hardware. I have worked in IT for a long time now and we still have Lenovo laptops that some users refuse to give up because they are work horses and never have any issues, as compared to their scrappy Dell and go counterparts. I'm just saying the Huawai(sp) for its price is fantastic. If the Chinese want to spy on pictures of my kids, fine whatever.
Thanks for that advice. You should read some threads where I post about electronics like laptops and stuff.

I am able to separate my opinion of hardware & hardware value from my distaste for being spied on by hostile foreign entities.

So the whole world is turning into North Korea?

And medias keep telling us they are "evil". I guess they had foresight decades ago.

You’re being naive if you think ‘smart tech’ can’t -or wouldn’t- have the potential to be compromised like this. Especially coming from a totalitarian type governed country.

I wouldn’t put it past the US -look at some of the shit that already been leaked about the spying. Look into the security leaks that transpired because some goof in our government used Kaspersky in his home computer and decided to bring sensitive shit home to work on it only to find out the Russians were able to snag it due to spy tech they put in it lol..

..this shit is very real. Even on a logical common sense grounds it adds up. Of course they’re doing this shit.

I don't know what to make of the chatter about Chinese hardware backdoors, anymore. These rumors have been running rampant in Western press for years. They started with Lenovo (which is partly owned by the Chinese National Academy of Sciences) four or five years ago in the Australian press.

I 100% wouldn't put it past the Chinese to do this, and it might explain a lot of weird things (like the Amazon speakers freaking out and calling contacts by themselves), but...we keep casting this accusation, and there is never any evidence. Meanwhile, all the third party watchdogs who dig in insist they aren't finding anything. The companies themselves like Amazon and Apple insist there is nothing to it. The spy agency sources our own media tout invariably cite anonymous sources whom if pressed for more specifics demur with the classic "national security" rationale.

Everyone knows me, and knows my severe distaste for tinfoilers, but this increasingly feels to me like a propaganda war because our masters here in the West are peeved China is beating the crap out of us with hard work (such as with the 5G race that is the cause of this thread's existence). The louder Trump has been about it the more noticeable the lack of any substance anyone has brought to bear has become.

I'm having trouble buying it.

giphy.gif

American companies are not analogous to Chinese companies to an American. Somehow you manage to take a reasonable reservation and turn it into an idiotic point due to your need to wax hipster self-hating western social critic over American powers-that-be.

One thing i have become very willing to bet on in politics is that if one side is accusing the other of something, that is because they are doing it and getting away with it and therefore suspicious that the other side must be too.

Examples equal the Republicans going nuts over grass roots vote rigging and suppression and then seeing multiple examples that the Republicans were doing it on a wide scale for decades. Also Trump and crew with the 'lock them up', when they have the most people in need of lock up.

So if the US gov't is accusing the Chinese gov't of wide-scale abuse in eavesdropping that is because they are doing wide-scale abuse and eavesdropping. I'd bet on it.

One thing i have become very willing to bet on in politics is that if one side is accusing the other of something, that is because they are doing it and getting away with it and therefore suspicious that the other side must be too.
I prefer logic & evidence to speculative pop psychology, myself.

Well, the Samsung Galaxy S9 with its focus on social media was also revealed today at the biggest convention for mobile tech, the MWC (Mobile World Conference), but that wasn't the biggest splash. Check the MWC out if you guys want to see the roadmap for the rest of 2018 with smartphones and tablets; it is to these devices what the CES is to PCs and general tech.

In a direct challenge to Intel, Qualcomm, Apple, Samsung, and all other mobile chip manufacturers, Huawei has announced the first 5G chipset.
Huawei unveils its first 5G chip in a challenge to Qualcomm and Intel

The reason this is so significant is because this is Chinese IP. This is their design. They adopt a world-leader position in actual tech design, here; not just as the paid labor in terms of fabrication of the chips at the factory level.

105027647-Richard_Yu_MWC.530x298.jpg

Techradar > MWC 2018: All the latest news from the show
sounds sweet. hope it isn't riddled with snooping tech for Chinese government.

sounds sweet. hope it isn't riddled with snooping tech for Chinese government.

I found a Smartphone in my front yard today could be the drunk neighbors' guests that had noisy party in their front lawn.

As I have checked it is a Huawawei Phone that already deactivated as it was most likely reported lost.

I ask around the block but they say its not theirs now.

Now I dont know what to do with it. The phone could be sying on me!

I found a Smartphone in my front yard today could be the drunk neighbors' guests that had noisy party in their front lawn.

As I have checked it is a Huawawei Phone that already deactivated as it was most likely reported lost.

I ask around the block but they say its not theirs now.

Now I dont know what to do with it. The phone could be sying on me!
all phones are spying on you. the question is which government and corporations are doing the spying.

seriously, all phones are spying on you. there's a reason why Snowden is sitting in god forsaken Russia. one of the major programs he exposed was the use of domestic surveillance. there are huge depositories of cellphone data. the problem is china has been using its corporations to engage in high level tech warfare in western countries, targeting both consumers and governments.

all phones are spying on you. the question is which government and corporations are doing the spying.

seriously, all phones are spying on you. there's a reason why Snowden is sitting in god forsaken Russia. one of the major programs he exposed was the use of domestic surveillance. there are huge depositories of cellphone data. the problem is china has been using its corporations to engage in high level tech warfare in western countries, targeting both consumers and governments.

Right now I would assume both the Chinese and the USA is "spying" on me.

What a crazy workd we live in.

I just bought a toaster for my Gf. That toaster could be talking shit by now

That new Huawei with the Leica camera system and the reverse wireless charging is awesome though.

Just reading that Huawei shipped 200 million phones this year. Crazy to think if they landed a deal with a US carrier they'd dominate the world.

Anyone have one of their phones?

I own a Huawei P8 lite (2015) since early 2016.

It's still working smoothly, though i'll probably upgrade in 2019 due to better available tech (currently looking at Xiaomi Mi 8 lite/Mi A2 lite, Honor 9 lite, Gigaset GS280 plus among others).
Huawei prob has some of the best cameras in the smartphone market.
My biggest issue is the small battery (2800 mah), though that's a common problem among smartphones in the low price segment (Gigaset is currently working with 5000 mah batteries, which currently kills it in that segment).

My mother has an Honor 6A, my brother recently got the Honor 9 lite (Honor is a sub brand of Huawei).

I dislike Samsung's interface and their phones are comparably more expensive then chinese makers with better technical specs.
Apple is overpriced horseshit for me and i love me my Android.

I wonder who they stole the tech from.

LOLOLOL!

You write like an amateur bullshit artist... Just because they haven't been caught putting backdoor spy chips into computing components doesn't mean they don't spy!.. hahahaha ... well no shit Sherlock. Everybody spies including yourselves. The Chinese only murdered a bunch of American spies not too long ago.

There is ZERO evidence of backdoor spy chips as far as I am concerned. I don't even see the logic in it. So Huawei is going to spend all this fucking money to enter a market and risk catapulting their business to kingdom come for spying purposes? As if everyone (from amateur tech sleuth to the USG) won't inspect and data-mine the shit our their products. If the Chinese wanted to spy they wouldn't do it this way. The risk of getting caught is way too high and they'll lose all their money and credibility on a company that vying to be a world leader in tech design. But please prove me wrong if you have ANY source to dispute this. All I am hearing is fearmongering without any proof.

And for the record... I am FOR any USG efforts to spy on Americans. I have NOTHING to hide so if my government believes it wants to spy on me because I am a risk.. go for it... it'll be a waste of money. I full support any USG effort to spy on its own as long as it is a legitimate concern.

Your bullshit doesn't work with me unfortunately...

But Lenovo has ALREADY been caught three times installing spyware on it's laptops. And had to pays millions in fines to the FTC.

https://thehackernews.com/2015/09/lenovo-laptop-virus.html

That's not fear mongering - it's a known fact that it happened.

Saying that - Lenovo laptops are indeed workhorses and great for no nonsense work. The hardware is top notch.

I think spying does occur from both sides, but not to the levels the US is fear mongering about. A lot of it is due to competitive financial pressures. Spyware is an easy scapegoat to ban the competition.

But Lenovo has ALREADY been caught three times installing spyware on it's laptops. And had to pays millions in fines to the FTC.

https://thehackernews.com/2015/09/lenovo-laptop-virus.html

That's not fear mongering - it's a known fact that it happened.

Saying that - Lenovo laptops are indeed workhorses and great for no nonsense work. The hardware is top notch.

I think spying does occur from both sides, but not to the levels the US is fear mongering about. A lot of it is due to competitive financial pressures. Spyware is an easy scapegoat to ban the competition.
Indeed. The software spyware doesn't freak me out as much because once it became known it was added to malware tracker lists, and you can manually remove it from your comp yourself.

But a built-in hardware spy device. There's no chance I'll ever be able to remove that, and even if they do discover it, I wouldn't know how to separate it (if even possible) without destroying the computer.

Yuck.

Indeed. The software spyware doesn't freak me out as much because once it became known it was added to malware tracker lists, and you can manually remove it from your comp yourself.

But a built-in hardware spy device. There's no chance I'll ever be able to remove that, and even if they do discover it, I wouldn't know how to separate it (if even possible) without destroying the computer.

Yuck.

Yes agreed. The software will eventually be found out by people looking through the code, but built in hardware is much more insidious.

I just refrain from buying Chinese products when I can - simply because I think their skins and software is still horrible. Although I'm really liking the One Plus 6T.

Is there 5g infrastructure? Not really

Since all Sherdoggies are 6'5" millionaires (or billionaires) why would you be complying about the price of a phone. Just buy a freaking iPhone. 1K for a millionaire is like one dime for a thousandaire.

You all sounding so poor. Don't buy cheating asian spy technology built by asian slaves/indentured servants/prisoners

Is there 5g infrastructure? Not really
Is there a need for a 5G infrastructure?

Even less really.

4G LTE provides way, way, way beyond the bandwidth required by us to do what we need to do. What we need now is expanded LTE coverage, cheaper rates, no data caps, and no throttling...but that isn't as profitable, so good luck seeing them back off this 5G nonsense. 5G won't make sense until every consumer has a virtual reality headset and wants to Facetime in a virtual 3D space using it, or watch sports in AR/VR. I can't think of anything closer of relevance.

Is there a need for a 5G infrastructure?

Even less really.

4G LTE provides way, way, way beyond the bandwidth required by us to do what we need to do. What we need now is expanded LTE coverage, cheaper rates, no data caps, and no throttling...but that isn't as profitable, so good luck seeing them back off this 5G nonsense. 5G won't make sense until every consumer has a virtual reality headset and wants to Facetime in a virtual 3D space using it, or watch sports in AR/VR. I can't think of anything closer of relevance.

My point was really its all a pr stunt, there's no infrastructure for 5G. I agree that 4g needs to be expanded everywhere, especially rural America

Back