The chair in boxing

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by WildCard, Aug 20, 2010.

1. WildCard

WildCard Blue Belt

We got a new boxing coach and he preaches staying in our chair in boxing, is this common?

2. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

Does he mean for you to 'sit' on your punches?

3. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    when I saw the title to this I thought you were gonna be talking about the use of a steel chair when the ref's back is turned

4. Matt Hilton

Matt Hilton Amateur Fighter

I thought this was going to be about a guy who has a sweet ass chair to sit in inbetween rounds rather then a stool.

5. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

What the hell are you talking about ?

6. illmatic

illmatic Zack Lannister

LOL :icon_lol:

7. vjvj

vjvj Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious

I've heard my boxing coach say something like this, as well. It was a while back, but IIRC he was trying to tell us to not lean forward* but instead bend a bit at the knees to "sit down" in our stance.

*Obviously ignoring defense maneuvers that might have you bend at the waist.

8. WildCard

WildCard Blue Belt

lol i'll try to clarify.

He basically wants our weight on our back foot like 60 on back 40 on front maybe (just an example) then he wants us to sit out but down like we were going to sit in a chair.

vjvj hit it on the head basically it's an attempt to keep the knees bent and weight back.

I've been training for around 3 years now and this is the 3rd coach i've met/trained a bit with who recommended the chair. However this is the first time i've tried to use it.

It seems to have helped me with a lot of my holes in my game I am a tall fighter and end up very upright often, however the chair keeps me low, and I never really understood how to sit on my punches but I feel like if I stay in my chair it helps me sit on my punches and i've never felt confident in my overhand or natural throwing it but staying low like that helps me feel comfortable throwing it.

Idk i've been putting a lot of emphasis into changing my boxing game around the chair so I just wanted to hear some opinions on it before I made it to big a part of my game lol.

9. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

As a fellow tall guy (6'2, 220), it's helped me immensely to sit down on my punches and plant myself more. This sounds just like a mnemonic device to help you plant yourself, and i'd say if you feel like it's helping, then absolutely do it. Just don't get flatfooted or stationary, make sure you can still bounce around and whatnot.