The cell phone millennium dilemma and downfall of society.

News flash: old guy thinks young people are shit, complains about it.

765083_food-angry-puppy-annoyed-ace-ventura-bulldog-jim-carey-ace-ventura-pet-detective-dissapointed-hangry-englishbulldog.gif

I hope your 15 1/2 now..

I'm just playing around.

Also, "you're".

News flash: old guy thinks young people are shit, complains about it.
Every generation thinks the generation succeeding it is the worst ever and will be the downfall of society.

In a way, they're probably right. Society is ever-changing and the one you were born into will be very different from the one you leave when you die.

Post modernism is all about special snowflakes that live in safe spaces who communicate primarily through social media. People constantly looking at some type of screen now, be it television, cell phone, computer. Hell im taking a shit right now typing this out, but if I didn't have a phone I would still be reading a newspaper or magazine. It's a different world for sure.

I'm not going to give them free passes, but times are changing in general. The art of conversation is dying, but so are the days of really needing to strike up conversations with strangers. I remember being young and going to family friend's houses was something you did to catch up and socialize. Now, with Facebook and cell phones if you want to get caught up you can just use those methods. Yes, there will be a time when you actually need to talk to people but over time their generation will become the "meta" and they will all be socially inept. I do agree that a lot of it is the "each generation will scorn the next" though. All this hate is just rationalization for a bunch of idiots who couldn't raise their damn kids, and now have passed the blame on to them.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

tl;dr - everyone has bitched about every new generation, always.

In the old days, when you got in trouble, you got sent to your room, or smacked. You either got the sense knocked into you, or you sat in a room and pondered things until you realized you were being an ass. You learnt a lesson, added it to your knowledge base, and moved on.

The last few years though, if you were a bad kid and got smacked, you simply sent your parents to prison for child abuse. If you got sent to your room, you got on your phone and messaged all your friends about what assholes your parents were. Your friends instantly agreed that you were 100% right and that you were being horribly mistreated. The negative action that you did gets reinforced by your friends.

As this trend continues, it seems like more and more young adults are entering society with vastly underwhelming social skills, a lack of critical thinking, and zero ability for empathy. And what seems like the most drastic change, is the massive amount of entitlement.

I have trained and worked with 100's of teens and young people over the last 30 years, and have really noticed a huge decline in their capabilities mentally, socially, and physically, in the last few years. I am not saying every kid, but overall.

A good article about this..
http://www.infowars.com/generation-...gs-and-the-wussification-of-our-young-people/
Have we raised an entire generation that has been so coddled and that is so spineless that it is completely incapable of dealing with the harsh realities of the modern world? At colleges and universities all over America, students are now demanding “safe spaces” where anything and everything that could possibly make them feel “uncomfortable” is banned. And “trigger warnings” are being placed on some of our great literary classics because they might cause some students to feel “unsafe” because they may be reminded of a past trauma. In this day and age, our overly coddled young people have come to expect that they should be automatically shielded from anything that could remotely be considered harmful or offensive, and as a result we now have an entire generation that is completely lacking in toughness. That may be fine as long as you can depend on Mom and Dad, but how in the world are these young men and women going to handle the difficult challenges that come with living in the real world?

wonder how many of us are viewing this fred from our cells.

Is it really that easy to "simply send your parents to prison" lmao. i don't think so. You gotta be outta touch with reality
It isn't, but parents understand there is a threat. Disciplining your kids is frowned upon in society today. And living in world where every kid has a smart phone, Facebook page, etc, acts as a deterrent to disciplining your kid.

old man complains about new generation.
wow, that's a fucking new concept never done before in the history of man.

hey, OP, how about you......blame the fucking parents? oh, that's right. then that puts the blame directly on your generation, and your generation was the best, the fucking best! amirite?

Can't really blame the kids because you can certainly also put a blame on the decline in standards of parenting.
Parents do need to intervene a bit. At least try to get your kids to go outside once in a while and stay active... maybe socialize face to face a bit.

Wall-E World LOOMS

Yaaaaaawn, another thread where morans pine for the violence and authoritarianism of yesteryear.

Fact is, this wonderful society so many remember so fondly produced teenagers that were worse in just about every measure. More criminal, more irresponsible, less educated, etc.

And yes, there's data on this:

http://www.vox.com/a/teens

The overarching question this survey asks is basically: How much trouble are you getting into?

The answer, lately, has been, “Not that much at all” — especially when you compare today’s teens with their parents, who came of age in the early 1990s.

Most of the survey questions show that today’s teenagers are among the best-behaved on record. They smoke less, drink less, and have sex less than the previous generation.

I had the shit beat out of me as a kid to "teach me a lesson" the only thing it taught me was to impart that violence onto my siblings and peers.

Woodnotrecommend/10

Dammit how come someone posts a good thread on a day when I actually have to do work :(

In the old days, when you got in trouble, you got sent to your room, or smacked. You either got the sense knocked into you, or you sat in a room and pondered things until you realized you were being an ass. You learnt a lesson, added it to your knowledge base, and moved on.

The last few years though, if you were a bad kid and got smacked, you simply sent your parents to prison for child abuse. If you got sent to your room, you got on your phone and messaged all your friends about what assholes your parents were. Your friends instantly agreed that you were 100% right and that you were being horribly mistreated. The negative action that you did gets reinforced by your friends.

As this trend continues, it seems like more and more young adults are entering society with vastly underwhelming social skills, a lack of critical thinking, and zero ability for empathy. And what seems like the most drastic change, is the massive amount of entitlement.

I have trained and worked with 100's of teens and young people over the last 30 years, and have really noticed a huge decline in their capabilities mentally, socially, and physically, in the last few years. I am not saying every kid, but overall.

While I do have concerns with the millenials and their entitlement, I laugh a little at your exaggerated post.

For years I worked as a community based therapist working in the homes of very abusive parents. It was often based on my recommendation as to whether or not to remove a child. Despite people on Sherdog sensationalizing that a light spanking leads to insta imprisonment, it actually is very hard to have a child removed from a home. Of the hundreds of families I worked with, I only saw maybe five children removed and it never had to do with parents over-disciplining their children. It usually dealt with parents being addicted to drugs in a way that was preventing them from providing appropriate care to their children. Usually their children were returned to them within a couple a couple months and in my opinion far too soon.

In fact, spanking isn't even against the law. Leaving bruises and hitting them with objects is against the law, and you don't go to prison for that unless it was truly sadistic. Instead you might have to take a parenting class or even just be given a paper to read at your leasiure about better strategies.

I only saw one parent go to prison. He was raping his son.

Also, there is a new form of grounding. It's taking away access to technology, so they arent texting their friends from their rooms.

Last edited:
Here is what scares me. The other day I was helping to cohost an end of the semester party for 8th graders. They spilled food and drink everywhere without consideration and just walked over it so that it was pushed further into the carpets and floor.

But that's not the scary part: 1) They seemed to assume it was the adults job to clean up after them 2) when we handed them a broom and dust pan several literally didn't understand how to use them. 3) When we brought out a vacuum they almost all pleaded to use it. When I asked why they were so eager I learned that literally 90% of them had never used vacuum.

Back