The Case For Stripping Khabib

yes and everyone was punished or there actions.

khabib will be back after ramadon holiday so no need for a interm fight.
He wants to sit a full year. That is too long for a voluntary, and frankly spiteful, boycott. He was suspended, he did not take the remedial apologetic measure, and he is trying to extort the UFC to aid his hooligans.

Conor was given a LW title shot by going 1-1 vs Nate Diaz (who was ranked 14th or whatever at the time).

Conor got a title shot from KO'ing Aldo. He was immediately given the RDA fight, which was set 3 months into his reign. The Diaz fights only happened because RDA pulled out last minute, otherwise Conor's dual weight attempt would've been over and done in only 3 months which is no issue at all. Conor then simply fought the guy who KO'd RDA.

And Diaz was ranked #4 when Conor beat him, and #5 when he lost to him. Don't belittle the victory by trying to make it seem like Diaz was barely in the top 15. Fighting Diaz only became a meme on Sherdog precisely to try and downplay Conor, when at the time Diaz was in the top 5. It was a good win, and the highest ranked win anybody was coming off of at LW barring Eddie's own run over #3, #1, and the champ. The Diaz fight actually gave legitimate justification for giving Conor a LW title shot.

Until you address McGregor holding onto two separate belts for longer periods of time with no intention of ever defending... There is zero case.

tumblr_mh53ch6Q5m1rdutw3o1_400.gif
This doesn't have anything to do with Conor.

3 wrongs don't make a right.
(3 lefts do in most cities but that is neither here nor there.)

Tony Ferguson has EARNED a title fight, and no interim bullshit either. He has beaten top guys has a crazy win streak, won the interim belt and never lost it.

Tony is ready to fight.

If the champ is not injured and not able to fight de to his own personal CHOICE, then Tony should get a title shot against Poirier and Khabib be stripped. If Khabib does like it, he should take the deal for the shorter suspension. It is his choice.

Conor got a title shot from KO'ing Aldo. He was immediately given the RDA fight, which was set 3 months into his reign. The Diaz fights only happened because RDA pulled out last minute, otherwise Conor's dual weight attempt would've been over and done in only 3 months which is no issue at all. Conor then simply fought the guy who KO'd RDA.

And Diaz was ranked #4 when Conor beat him, and #5 when he lost to him. Don't belittle the victory by trying to make it seem like Diaz was barely in the top 15. Fighting Diaz only became a meme on Sherdog precisely to try and downplay Conor, when at the time Diaz was in the top 5. It was a good win, and the highest ranked win anybody was coming off of at LW barring Eddie's own run over #3, #1, and the champ. The Diaz fight actually gave legitimate justification for giving Conor a LW title shot.

Conor was 1-1 above 145 when he was given the title shot. Granted I may have been wrong about Diaz ranking.

Tony had won EIGHT straight fights at LW at that point and was obviously ready to fight as he beat RDA that same month.

Sorry but even then Tony should have fought for the belt. But...economics.

I'm torn on this because I like Cowboy and would love for him to get that payday after years of giving his all to the fans of this sport, but not having Ferguson in the title picture is flat out bullshit.

Cowboy got a shot against RDA.

Tony needs to fight for the belt. Period.

I don't really care who he fights. It should be Khabib but MMA gods might never let us have that fight and now Khabib has turned into a primadonna diva.

Sherbros,

The following is a short argument for stripping Khabib of the 155 belt. The basic facts are that Khabib was offered a 3-month reduction of his 9-month suspension for his flying monkey dive unto Dillon Penis at UFC 229 if he did an anti-bullying PSA. Khabib has refused, and instead demanded that unless his cousin Abubakar and his friend Zubaira Tugukhov have their suspensions reduced, he will not fight until November.

1. His refusal to fight is 100% voluntary, and is in addition to his legal prohibitions from fighting. He is not making the UFC money, he is not hurt, and he has several worthy contenders.

2. His "point" that he is making is morally repugnant. He is clearly trying to show that his backwards "Muslim brothers band together" mentality needs to be forgiven and given wide breadth. Both his friends jumped into a cage to assault a fighter. Zubaira did it from behind, and was not even a cornerman. He should be banned for life, frankly. This is not a savage nation. His standing up for his vile friends makes it worse, not better.

3. Ali Abdelazziz is trying to increase his standing and influence, and often does this by banging the Muslim drum. If ever there was a moment to remind him that only McGregor gets special treatment (and even then, only because he fights relatively often and makes the UFC many, many millions).

4. Unlike Conor, Khabib is not a mega star. Conor was stripped of the 145 belt fairly quickly, and only stripped of the 155 belt when an actual title fight was booked.

5. There are extremely worthy opponents, and Ferguson has already gotten an interim title. It would be wrong to make contenders fight each other when neither has had a chance against Khabib yet.

6. All the players in the championship hunt (Poirer, Ferguson, Khabib himself) except Conor are extremely injury prone. Time is not on anyone's side.

In conclusion, I believe the correct move is to strip Khabib if he refuses to do the PSA and book a pre-Ramadan fight. Tony and Poirer (both of whom are injury prone as is) need to be booked for the belt this spring. Let Conor fight Cerrone. If Khabib is ready after, let him be the challenger, and make challenger money, against the winner. OR if you really want to make a point, let him fight someone else, let the Conor-Cerrone winner or another challenger fight in the fall, and let Khabib get his shot if he wins later, in February 2020.

well that was a waste of time.

Instead of "What about Conor?" responses, let's learn from the mistakes of the past and not repeat them. Strip Khabib of the belt and have two top contenders fight for the belt in the summer. Let it be a new precedent for fighters actually defending the belts they win.

Jarl

Cowboy got a shot against RDA.

Tony needs to fight for the belt. Period.

I don't really care who he fights. It should be Khabib but MMA gods might never let us have that fight and now Khabib has turned into a primadonna diva.

Whether you like him or hate him you can't dispute the fact that Conor sells PPV's, which is why I said I'd be okay with Cerrone getting that payday (and not that "title" shot). If Cerrone got a piece of the PPV buys as a headliner, I'd be okay with him being rewarded for his years of service. Cerrone and Conor would sell huge regardless of whether or not there's a belt at stake, so there's no need to create some phony belt or interim designation.

I want Ferguson and Khabib to go down. That fight has to happen.

I think they’ll strip him but once he is back he’ll fight for the title right away with whoever it’ll be.

Back