The cardio of Dustin Poirier

Spath

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Just what the hell does this guy eat? The guy came out swinging for the fences in the first round, throwing bomb after bomb after bomb. Very high paced fight.

In the third it looked like he was slowing down and Max was piecing him up, like he always does. Poirier just kept going and going, ate punches to the body, knees to the body and some kicks to the body... Kept going.

How so you stay in a high paced fight like that with starting out like that? Just amazed by the performance of both of these men. Holloway’s chin held up and he kept marching forward like a terminator. Crazy stuff!

So what do you guys think? That’s a ten round gas tank, easy. Going high pace like that is burning out other guys, bot not here.

Huge respect to Holloway as well. Guy means business and is as tough as they come.

Just what the hell does this guy eat? The guy came out swinging for the fences in the first round, throwing bomb after bomb after bomb. Very high paced fight.

In the third it looked like he was slowing down and Max was piecing him up, like he always does. Poirier just kept going and going, ate punches to the body, knees to the body and some kicks to the body... Kept going.

How so you stay in a high paced fight like that with starting out like that? Just amazed by the performance of both of these men. Holloway’s chin held up and he kept marching forward like a terminator. Crazy stuff!

So what do you guys think? That’s a ten round gas tank, easy. Going high pace like that is burning out other guys, bot not here.

Huge respect to Holloway as well. Guy means business and is as tough as they come.

Max has pillow fists.

Just eat it until you can catch your second wind.

Are you suggesting foul play? In the lights of TJ EPO? Just wondering.

I think the bombs he hit Max with probably saved him in the later rounds due to Max slowing down heaps more than he normally does.

Max has pillow fists.

Just eat it until you can catch your second wind.
Okay, tell that to Jose Aldo, Anthony Pettis, Brian Ortega.. You know, these guys should’ve just stood there and catch their breath.

<{cruzshake}>

Dana ignoring Dustin questions irritated me.

Okay, tell that to Jose Aldo, Anthony Pettis, Brian Ortega.. You know, these guys should’ve just stood there and catch their breath.

<{cruzshake}>

That's exactly what they did.

He probably put a tonne of work into his cardio for this fight, knowing what Max does. Also noticed a couple things during the fight:
- Max wasn't able to put on the volume he normally does because of the way Dustin fought. Dustin did a great job of hitting Max hard and keeping him on the back foot, then resetting. Dustin controlled the pace well.
- Dustin maintained a really good highguard, which he used to save alot of energy. When Max was throwing alot of volume, Dustin used the highguard to cover up well, and didn't waste energy getting battered or moving too much on defense.

I think the above combined with his cardio work was why he did so well.

Are you suggesting foul play? In the lights of TJ EPO? Just wondering.
I’m asking you, haha. That is a feat of cardio you don’t see often.

Last time I was this amazed by someone’s gas tank and pace was Covington vs RDA. Colby put on a pace that I thought was impossible to keep up for more than three rounds. RDA is a guy often praised for his cardio and relentless pressure, but he got stormed by Colby.

Max has no power. He’s overrated for beating past prime Aldo and outstriking a BJJ guy in Ortega.

Poirer has his number and got the job done twice in dominant fashion. He would lose to Conor again also and I say this as a big Max fan.

Suprised so many of you got Conor beating Dustin in a rematch. I favor Dustin if they ran it back. He's better everywhere right now. Conor eats a bomb and gets taken down then TKOd later in a round or 2.

Even against Gaethje under heavy fire, he destroyed him.

Good cardio and managed it well after blowing half his load early.

That's after 240 punches to the face tho. Obviously Max doesn't have pillow fists but that isn't that bad for getting punched in the face 240 times . He doesn't have 1 punch power. His TKOs come late from volume/output. Even Ortega fight was a doctor stoppage

It's funny because years ago ppl were talking about how much Dustin's cardio sucked and he'd never be champ. Wonder where those goofs are now

Back