International Disunited Kingdom: The Renewed Call For Scottish Independence, Part 2.

I heard the Scott's are crazy libtard now. They all voted remain.

"The problem with Scotland is......that's it's full of Scott's!!!! *laughter*"

-King LongShanks

"Scots are crazy libtards for not backing economic suicide"

It's not economic suicide, that's a fear mongering lie. England will be fine. If I was English and had to pay a dollar more for a meal it would be worth it to keep our sovereignty.

It's not economic suicide, that's a fear mongering lie. England will be fine. If I was English and had to pay a dollar more for a meal it would be worth it to keep our sovereignty.

It is not a 'lie' by any stretch. There is no economic case for Brexit. It's purely an emotional vote tied to a misguided sense of patriotism, 'sovereignty' and a big middle finger to West Minister.

Fear mongering is what the British media have been doing for the better part of 2 decades with their lies and scapegoating of the EU.

You might be able to pay a dollar or two more for a meal, but can the bottom 25%? Especially the areas that voted to leave. Many of which have been net-receivers in the EU.

Wow. Didn't realize the deficit was that high.
The UK is basically a failed state in the making. But an independent Scotland would need to pay for things like embassies and a military. Seemsike they don't have the cash for that at all

The ironic part is that the people running Scotland probably want to get rid of fossil fuels due to climate change.

It is not a 'lie' by any stretch. There is no economic case for Brexit. It's purely an emotional vote tied to a misguided sense of patriotism, 'sovereignty' and a big middle finger to West Minister.

Fear mongering is what the British media have been doing for the better part of 2 decades with their lies and scapegoating of the EU.

You might be able to pay a dollar or two more for a meal, but can the bottom 25%? Especially the areas that voted to leave. Many of which have been net-receivers in the EU.

European bureaucracy costs money, and limits the flexibility of local decision making. That is not a good thing when you have to cope with changing conditions.

Are you basing that on anything in Scotland? Or just making broad assumptions about what you think leftists want in other countries

YEah. The left wants to stop us from utilizing our resources to enrich our nation.

I assume the idiot left in Scotland will do the same. Greta will come for you! She will sail to glasgow

I’m not keen on their gravy in the chippy but my god the Scots make a brilliant munchy box!

The UK's own Yellowhammer report says otherwise, food, medicine and fuel shortages for a start. They're already paying more for everything with the 20% fall in sterling but at least they can still have a meal, though what they will eat after Brexit might not look so good.

Wow. Didn't realize the deficit was that high.
The UK is basically a failed state in the making. But an independent Scotland would need to pay for things like embassies and a military. Seemsike they don't have the cash for that at all

Too bad we lost the first Scottish Independence Referendum mega-thread during the forum migration. Besides the endless Braveheart memes, It would be a treasure trove for quotes for sure, especially since the "Stronger Together" and "Take Back Control" table has turned on the British isle.

Economic wise, basically all the Scottish politicians who pushed for independence at the time were adamant that high-flying North Sea oil revenue is enough to pay for everything, right before it cratered.

They dodged a real bullet there: had the referendum passed, Scotland would be so broke right now with oil hovering around $50/barrel, while their public programs and daily expenses are no longer subsidized by London to the tunes of over £10,000,000,000 each and every year.

I was hoping the SNP would learn to diversify the Scottish economy and be fiscally independence before calling for another vote, but it appears that economic factors are less of a priority this time around, or as the newly-invented SNP argument goes: the only reason why Scotland's deficit is so large and needed subsidy all this time is BECAUSE it's part of the U.K.

I'm not sure how convincing that line of creative reasoning is to economists, but it just might work with Scottish voters.

-----

Why economic warnings may no longer be enough to stop Scottish independence
By Chris Deerin | 23 August 2019

gettyimages-1160135152.jpg

Does money matter in politics any more? It does, of course, hugely — but perhaps not in quite the same ways or with the same potency that it once did.

There may indeed be more to life and politics than money (and there’s more to the Union than money, obviously, though that case has been less effectively made). That Brexiteer “take back control” slogan niggles away, especially as the European Research Group and the hard left wrestle for ownership of the UK. Where do Scottish values and preferences fit into this? Do we have to just sit here and take it?

This is the climate into which the latest Scottish Government Expenditure and Revenue figures (more commonly known as GERS) emerged earlier this week. Each year these stats show much the same thing, with some variation — Scotland receives an annual subsidy of somewhere north of £10bn as part of the UK, and state spending per head is around £1,600 higher north of the border.

This is always a useful moment for Unionists and an awkward one for nationalists. The fact that the figures are produced by Scottish government economists — who work for the SNP — means they cannot be dismissed by the Nats as a UK fiction. They show current Scottish public spending levels are reliant on redistribution within the Union, and suggest a newly independent nation would have to observe eye-watering levels of austerity to keep the show on the road.

Much of the SNP’s energy since 2014 has been focused on finding a persuasive counter to this argument. The line now is that membership of the UK is a major reason Scotland requires such a subsidy, and that independence would provide the opportunity to do things differently and close the gap. As Andrew Wilson, who chaired the SNP’s influential Growth Commission, tweeted this week: “Scotland has an unsustainable deficit as a result of the way the UK is now. That deficit needs to be made sustainable for the sake of us all.”

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...o-longer-be-enough-stop-scottish-independence

Last edited:
I'm half Scottish and half English by blood but culturally English.

I would like the Union to stay together but cannot blame Scotland for wanting to leave this current shitshow and would wish them the best if they did (and hope I could apply for dual citizenship)

It will just go back to the way things were before the UK mistakenly entered the EU and ceded their sovereignty.

Things will be fine. Some people will try to make things as difficult as possible though.

You and many other people have a bizarre view of what the left really is. Rest assured, Scotland's most significant export is in no danger of being culled whatsoever.

What do you think the Left is?

@Arkain2K wow man I don't follow Scotland very much. But seems they sat in their hands and figured oil and natural economic progress would fix their problems. Lazy and no foresight. Def dodged a bullet on independence here despite Brexit

It will just go back to the way things were before the UK mistakenly entered the EU and ceded their sovereignty.

Things will be fine. Some people will try to make things as difficult as possible though.
You could make the exact same argument about Scotland and the uk

I meet qith a speak to thousands of Scots a week. 95% want out of the union. They also gice very good reason. Something that cracks me up though is the farmers. I work in the northeast of Scotland and the entire area surrounding is farmland. All the farmers in the northeast proudly voted tory last elwction only to find out they have been comoletely taken for a rid
YEah. The left wants to stop us from utilizing our resources to enrich our nation.

I assume the idiot left in Scotland will do the same. Greta will come for you! She will sail to glasgow
Which part of Scotland are you from?

I meet qith a speak to thousands of Scots a week. 95% want out of the union. They also gice very good reason. Something that cracks me up though is the farmers. I work in the northeast of Scotland and the entire area surrounding is farmland. All the farmers in the northeast proudly voted tory last elwction only to find out they have been comoletely taken for a rid

Which part of Scotland are you from?

I wish Scotland best of luck on independence! And sounds like the crazy lefties won’t be making Scotland stop utilizing its resources? That’s a very good thing to hear.

I’d also hope Sean Connery moves home and becomes first prime minister :D

I hope their entire union comes crashing down around their ears, few things would make me happier.

Back