"The California Kid" Is 35 Years Old... How Much Gas Is Left In The Tank?

I've never been KO'ed ever and I've fought some of the best strikers in the world. I'm not at liberty to discuss specific names, due to my non-disclosure agreement with my sparring partners, but trust me when I say that I have traded with a champion at one time, and was the one left standing at the end.
haha, okay then...

You've fought so many quality sparring partners, you have no Sherdog page.
Taric said:
Who needs hands when you spam elbows all fight.
In his defense, he only really did that against Mike Brown, and he had broken one or both of his hands in one of those fights if I'm not mistaken.

He only really did that against Mike Brown, and he had broken one or both of his hands in one of those fights if I'm not mistaken.
That was the reference I was making...

That was the reference I was making...
Well, I am making the reference to a billowing cloud of white smoke, so you can interpret that as you will.

I guess he stays on top for a 2-3 more years, then he starts to decline. not fast though

i think he will go one more time for the title and if he loses more clearly than the last time against barao he ll quit! i am sure he ll get another shot but i doubt he ll be a champ, but it would be nice for him as great fighter n personality imo

so 4-5 matches (1,5 - 2 years) if he cant win a title

otherwise i am sure he wouldnt quit with a belt

I'm torn. Being a huge fan of his I want to see him utterly annihilate everyone not named Barao in HL reel fashion. However, there's this schism in that admiration that doesn't want to witness a steep decline.

I think he has time left; he's always in shape and training is just part of his lifestyle. But the multitude of hand injuries is concerning.

I see a lot of great fights for him, Cruz III, Brown III, Edgar, maybe even BJ. 2-3 years

I see a lot of great fights for him, Cruz III, Brown III, Edgar, maybe even BJ. 2-3 years

Edgar vs Faber need to happen!

Could you imagine the scrambles in that fight!? :eek:

I think he takes care of himself too well to be forced into retirement anytime soon. The tragic thing is he seems to be struggling to try and avoid being known as a perpetual runner up. I am pulling for him one day be the bride and not the bridesmaid, though I don't know how plausible that is with Nova Unaio dominating the lower weight classes as hopelessly as they do.

Small breeds of dogs tend to live 2 years longer than other breeds. Since your average life span of a dog is 12 years that extra 2 years is about 16.6% longer of a prime. Most fighters are in there prime from 23-35 so I expect Urijah's prime to last to an age of 37.
Reading this made me picture a weiner dog with Urijah's head on it. Kinda like Sarah Jessica Parker in Mars Attacks. Why did you do this teh meeeeee!

Small breeds of dogs tend to live 2 years longer than other breeds. Since your average life span of a dog is 12 years that extra 2 years is about 16.6% longer of a prime. Most fighters are in there prime from 23-35 so I expect Urijah's prime to last to an age of 37.

[YT]NgR3N8y4boQ[/YT]

lol, don't know if your theory is correct, but I'd agree that smaller fighters "tend" to have less injuries and seem more mobile from start to finish. Urijah has been fighting since 2003 and in my opinion, he's either in his prime or slightly past it. He hasn't showed signs of getting worse but he's commented on some injuries and at 35 with 11 years of fighting top competition under his belt, his reflexes are not going to be faster than they were when he was 25. More experienced and technical for sure, but athletically (though he seems to have not lost a step) it's not likely he'll get any quick or athletic.

We won't really know until it's all over. Time catches us all, but if Faber has taken care of himself then he can go longer than most.

huh?

Hopefully he realizes that he'll never be a UFC champion and retires on a good win. Can coach or something.

Urijah on TRT is a force to be reckon with. Bridesmaid 2.0.

Does he have another title run in him? Probably. Chances of him winning title? Not so much. Unfortunately he will end up staying around because he's a draw rather then retiring on a high note.

Back