1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

the Brock = Shaq analogy

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Vergilius, Jul 25, 2016.

1. NightwingBJJ R.I.P To The King II Long.Live.GU€RNICA

You win this thread. Haaaa

2. bjpenngoat Silver Belt

are you out of your fucking mind bro? Shaq was VERY skilled in every facet of the game aside from free throw shooting and long range shots. He had amazing power moves with his back to the basket and he was a solid defender. This is horseshit. And WILT? Really? ARe you comparing one of the greatest players ever to Brock Lesnar a guy with 7 fights? This is absolute horseshit.

3. tramendous Silver Belt

wilt chamberlain being an unskilled big guy is a myth that was used to hype up the new generation of stars in the 90s.

edit:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. Vergilius Brown Belt

Man, I should have mentioned Charles Barkley. Saw him lose a 3-point shootout to Ernie Johnson (a 50-something grandfather and sportspresenter who has never played any sports profesionally).

5. Vergilius Brown Belt

Similarly to how Brock has got great wrestling. Look, I'm not saying Brock is as good in his sport as those guys were in theirs - I'm saying that relatively unskilled guys with huge physical advantages can be beasts in other sports than just mma. Shaq had a great postgame and pretty good defense - but he wasn't great in any other aspect of the game.

6. Verace Gold Belt

If by physical advantage you mean "strong doses of peds", i agree.

7. Vergilius Brown Belt

Not saying his is all athleticism. If you read the op, I say he has a very particular skillset and isn't well-rounded, but that that's all he needs.

8. hugemmafan22 Banned Banned

Chamberlain doesn't count basketball was awful when he was in his "prime" and filled with E-level athletes.

9. ermac88 Silver Belt

Thats the thing about sports and athletisism its about having the cordination and ability to use your physique effectively.

Shaq, Wilt and Brock are very good athletes in conjunction with their size.

Most people on Earth seven foot tall can barely walk, the human body isnt designed to be that big.

Guys like Wilt could utilize his physique effectively in physical endeavors much better than the average person 2 feet shorter than him.

Brock was/is a 300lb man who can run the 40 in under 5 seconds. Most 155 pounds guys on Sherdog cant do that.

Athleticism

10. Vergilius Brown Belt

Sure. + a very specific skillset. If Brock had never trained wrestling, he couldn't win in mma no matter what his physical advantages are - and if Shaq had never seen a basketball, he couldn't dominate on the court either.