1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

The Body Triangle

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by the_Dark Knight, Oct 17, 2010.

1. the_Dark Knight

the_Dark Knight Purple Belt

Just wondering what rules, if any, are there for defending the body triangle. I did an event yesterday and got caught in one. The guy was massive compared to me with super long legs. he caught me in it, andwasnt really try to get a choke or anything, he wouldlock his legs and arch my back and it sucked! He would grab my collar is if to choke but he wasnt pulling for a choke, he would just arch my back. I heard it pop and crack a few times, by finally he got under my jaw and pulled up, at which point i decided to give up.

2. meauneau

meauneau Brown Belt

In the streets there are no rules.

3. Lutador011

Lutador011 Blue Belt

I know you don't get points for it. I think that if you tap to a body triangle in Gi it's considered a body crush and is illegal.

I don't know if it's considered a spinal lock

4. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Trap his outside leg with your leg, slide your back off of his (while defending the neck) and push on their knee. You have to go towards the side that both of his feet are on. Hard to describe, here's an example (while I couldn't finih the footlock it got me out of the body triangle) starting at 2:00 in

5. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

I meant to say also that my intent is to attack with a footlock, and this forces them to release the triangle if they don't tap to the footlock.

6. Fred in Houston

Fred in Houston Blue Belt

I'll show you my defense when i get home Josh. Sounds similar to the above poster.

7. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Me, or the thread starter? (my name is Josh, not sure if his is too or not :) ) Either way, I'd be interested in hearing about your defense for this as well.

8. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

Yeah, if you can get his side leg between your you can crank him into a very uncomfortable situation. Anyone who's worth a damm will switch their triangle to the other side or just go for the hooks if the guy who is caught starts rolling to the side.

9. the_Dark Knight

the_Dark Knight Purple Belt

Hey guys, thanks for the advice, but does the length of their leg play any role in how effective that attack is?

10. Supereem

Supereem Black Belt

Yes. Good luck defending against someone who is 6'3 and up. I think Roger Gracie proves its deadliness!