The Body Triangle

the_Dark Knight

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering what rules, if any, are there for defending the body triangle. I did an event yesterday and got caught in one. The guy was massive compared to me with super long legs. he caught me in it, andwasnt really try to get a choke or anything, he wouldlock his legs and arch my back and it sucked! He would grab my collar is if to choke but he wasnt pulling for a choke, he would just arch my back. I heard it pop and crack a few times, by finally he got under my jaw and pulled up, at which point i decided to give up.

In the streets there are no rules.

I know you don't get points for it. I think that if you tap to a body triangle in Gi it's considered a body crush and is illegal.

I don't know if it's considered a spinal lock

Trap his outside leg with your leg, slide your back off of his (while defending the neck) and push on their knee. You have to go towards the side that both of his feet are on. Hard to describe, here's an example (while I couldn't finih the footlock it got me out of the body triangle) starting at 2:00 in

I meant to say also that my intent is to attack with a footlock, and this forces them to release the triangle if they don't tap to the footlock.

I'll show you my defense when i get home Josh. Sounds similar to the above poster.

I'll show you my defense when i get home Josh. Sounds similar to the above poster.

Me, or the thread starter? (my name is Josh, not sure if his is too or not :) ) Either way, I'd be interested in hearing about your defense for this as well.

Yeah, if you can get his side leg between your you can crank him into a very uncomfortable situation. Anyone who's worth a damm will switch their triangle to the other side or just go for the hooks if the guy who is caught starts rolling to the side.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice, but does the length of their leg play any role in how effective that attack is?

Hey guys, thanks for the advice, but does the length of their leg play any role in how effective that attack is?

Yes. Good luck defending against someone who is 6'3 and up. I think Roger Gracie proves its deadliness!

Back