The boat captain have balls - riding over a Tsumami

Waves don't break until the height of the wave is twice the depth of the water. So in the open ocean you wouldn't have to worry about getting toppled, you can just ride along with the swell. Its only along the coast lines where the water shallows that waves become most dangerous.
You need to distinguish between wind driven waves and waves created by an earth quake or the earth's natural gravitational forces.

What you say is true of the latter only. Wind driven waves can and do form and break on seas far deeper than the wave is tall.

But ya, agreed otherwise.

You need to distinguish between wind driven waves and waves created by an earth quake or the earth's natural gravitational forces.

What you say is true of the latter only. Wind driven waves can and do form and break on seas far deeper than the wave is tall.

But ya, agreed otherwise.
I thought that was assumed given the thread is about tsunami. I don't think wind can create tsunami but I could be wrong about that.

Waves don't break until the height of the wave is twice the depth of the water. So in the open ocean you wouldn't have to worry about getting toppled, you can just ride along with the swell. Its only along the coast lines where the water shallows that waves become most dangerous.

It's actually about when the depth is about 1.3 times the wave height. But it actually depends on a few things related to the topography of the sea floor and the wave.

I thought that was assumed given the thread is about tsunami. I don't think wind can create tsunami but I could be wrong about that.
Fair enough. People are just using the word 'waves' liberally which could be confusing.

your boat is not capsizing your just riding the wave

It will if the wave is tall enough and starts to break while you're riding it. Granted, that typically never happens, but it could in Tsunami.

at sea you gotta be behind the tsunami wave, if you are at sea and its a tsunami you gotta race at it, its your only chance

Wouldn't you want to be away from the water in a Tsunami?
It depends. A tsunami is dangerous as the mass of water approaches shore. The closer to shore, the less room the water has, which causes the wave to grow. If you can get off shore far enough, you are much safer in a boat, than being near shore. Even that small tsunami I was in at like 5' still damaged alot of the docked boats, torn up the marina, and caused some flooding.

Back