The BJJ Injury Thread

Let's see, the ones I can remember:

Herinated discs-Neck
Broken Nose
Cauli ear (painful sleep for a LONG time)
black eyes
bit tounge and cut a HUGE gash in it
split lip (like really split)
jaw injury....probably slightly dislocated but never went to Dr....couldn't chew/eat right for a long time
shoulder injuries....R-shoulder=2 surgeries (rotator/labrum) L-shoulder=1 surgery(labrum)
broken fingers (at least 4...one multiple times...doesn't bend)
cracked rib
bruised rib
torn intercoastal muscle
herinated back
pinched nerve in back/spasms in back muscle (very painful)
torn groin (perhaps the most painful and persistant injury---good for learning to play open guard)
blown out knee-ACL/PCL/Tendon=surgery
rolled ankle
torn pec (not really from BJJ but the workout befor---doing the rings/iron cross)

I'm sure there is more. But I've learned to go much slower and be more technical due to the fact that my body would hurt so bad.

Some of them were from training hard....some from training stupid....some from training hurt....some from training with retards.....some from being a retard.

How long were you out with the herniated disc in your neck? It's been two weeks since I've had mine and the pain has gotten a lot better but the numbness in my hand and muscle weakness in my arm is still an issue.

How long were you out with the herniated disc in your neck? It's been two weeks since I've had mine and the pain has gotten a lot better but the numbness in my hand and muscle weakness in my arm is still an issue.

Take at least two weeks off...if not 4.

It may still hurt when you return but you need to ice/heat/ice/heat the neck daily. Also, just like when I hurt my back you need to strengthen your neck to help prevent this type of injury.

Start with light pressure just using hands but work your way up to using weights. It will help with being able to withstand chokes longer to allow you to escape as well as prevent injury.

However, the best way I've found to prevent injury is to..............swallow your pride and tap early! When I roll with guys that I know are good I tap as soon as they grab the sub or if it's a 'lesser' practitioner I'll tap as soon as it's applied correctly.

Tap early/often....your training will last longer.

EDIT: Always tell your rolling partners you are hurt and where. It's not being a "pussy". Sometimes it's worked out for me because the guy was older/wiser/more responsible and told me "hey, slow down dude! your hurt, remember?....don't get more hurt"

Sprained ankle
Broken toes
Staph
Ringworm
Tennis elbow
Rash and mat burn

seperated shoulder - on the wrong end of an uchi mata
groin strain
Elbow Bursitis
sore sternum
usual facial grazes
severe mat burns

Dealing with a sprained ligament in my thumb- I trained wearing a boxing glove tonight (that had the thumb attached to the body of the glove, so no way could it move). While it was a bit cumbersome and obviously impaired any collar chokes- I was still able to get some decent rolls in.

Anyone got any better suggestions? I'm pretty sure the ligament didn't tear completely, swelling has gone way down and I have full range of motion. Felt good enough where I didn't get it x-rayed.

thanks-

Let's see, the ones I can remember:

Herinated discs-Neck
Broken Nose
Cauli ear (painful sleep for a LONG time)
black eyes
bit tounge and cut a HUGE gash in it
split lip (like really split)
jaw injury....probably slightly dislocated but never went to Dr....couldn't chew/eat right for a long time
shoulder injuries....R-shoulder=2 surgeries (rotator/labrum) L-shoulder=1 surgery(labrum)
broken fingers (at least 4...one multiple times...doesn't bend)
cracked rib
bruised rib
torn intercoastal muscle
herinated back
pinched nerve in back/spasms in back muscle (very painful)
torn groin (perhaps the most painful and persistant injury---good for learning to play open guard)
blown out knee-ACL/PCL/Tendon=surgery
rolled ankle
torn pec (not really from BJJ but the workout befor---doing the rings/iron cross)

I'm sure there is more. But I've learned to go much slower and be more technical due to the fact that my body would hurt so bad.

Some of them were from training hard....some from training stupid....some from training hurt....some from training with retards.....some from being a retard.

Talk about having been around the block for awhile... you're a true vet!

Staph
Cauliflower ear
Torn mcl
Popped/torn rib
Jarred/dislocated, fingers/thumbs
Rolled ankle
Chipped teeth

Back