The BJJ Injury Thread

Maybe you sould have tapped ?? :icon_cry2

Believe me i would have but he cranked it so fast i heard snap crackle pop and i felt it completly tear. I could feel the ligament roll up my bicept and down my forearm before i could tap. He actually let go as soon as he heard the pop also. But the damage was done. Believe me im no hero.

-Broken a few fingers doing judo
-during my first nogi match at a naga event my opponent incorrectly applied an americana and completely shredded a ligament in my elbow and i ended up needing reconstructive surgery. i didnt even feel it during the day cuz i competed still in my gi division. i was out almost a year.

Sounds like a good americana and a bad tap to me lol

Nothing serious so far. Had alot of scares. But i hurt my hip at caio's academy over a year ado and it still pops whenever i cat Stretch

Last edited:
Badly dislocated finger from a tourney I did. You can make it out in the HD version of this video, along with my instructor telling me to look up while another instructor pops it back into place:

Didn't hurt that bad at the time; in fact, I had like four more matches in the gi division after this, but it hurt like a b for the next couple of weeks. Other than that, a broken hand and a couple of ligament/tendon issues.

Being an older guy I suffer through many aches and pains... I hurt my groin quite badly which then created an issue with my knee (Iliotibial band syndrome) which sucks. I took (2) weeks off and started back slowly.

Just dealing with general knee pain right now. It hurts to walk, especially going up / down stairs. When I roll I use a pretty serious brace but all the pre / post treament / stretches allow me to perform but eventually I'm going to need some higher level medical assistance, possibly surgery.

Threads like this make me feel good about going into physical therapy.

I think I damaged my MCL (I didn't get it officially diagnosed)
Separated my AC joint
I've had my ankle and elbow pop several times
Broken nose
Bursitis in my knee

Seperated Shoulder (AC Seperation)
5 stitches under left eye
3 stitches under right eye
Couple broken fingers
Torn lower back ligaments
and just recently popped my IT band

Something about your 30's must make your more prone to injury. I've been training hard in contact martial arts since I was 7, with tons of throwing and break falling, joint locks, etc. No major injuries. Ever.

But in the last 6 months, I've dealt with bruised ribs, a hyper flexion of the neck (similar to whiplash) and was finally feeling 100 percent. My goal for 2013 was no injuries.

So of course... last night, at the start of my turn for situationals (10 minutes of me in guard trying to sweep or submit rotating opponents) the very first guy I hit armbar from guard, he stacks, I spin under, grab pant leg, roll to finish- and somehow he lands right on my thumb. It pops backward and touches the top of my arm.

Its sprained at least, waiting a few more days to see if it feels better or get it checked out for a torn tendon or ligament.

Beyond pissed / frustrated.

In order of severity

1. Dislocated and fractured left ring finger at middle joint (Caught in Gi pant loop) (8 weeks)

2. Re fractured and dislocated same finger in freak ezekiel choke accident 1 year later. (6-7 weeks)

3. Bruised bone from bad break fall after being thrown at a Judo class (Elbow - Think it was the Ulna, cant remember which though, it was the inside elbow joint -5 weeks)

4. Damaged ligaments in same elbow, I was sitting and watching during technique and had my arm extended, 2 guys who were drilling rolled into it and hyper extended it... Now i know why no posting on extended arms is a rule in many gyms... (3 weeks)

5. Staph - 3 weeks

6 Staph - 3 weeks again (Got very angry as I spent $ on defense soap and am very particular about Gi washing and hygene)

7. Broken nose, stray elbow (3 weeks)

Anything else was just soreness.

2.5 year white belt lol..

Something weird inside my shoulder which the doctors cant find. Hurt my shoulder in a competition last spring (do not know at what time, started aching afterwards like hell). It feels ok for days, but sometimes I can go a week without being able to lift anything with it. Needlesss to say it keep me pretty effectively off the mats in uneven intervalls.
It is frustrating. At the moment I have not trained for a month, and the shoulder still gets mystery aches. Training makes it about 7,9 times worse.

Compared to that, well, nothing major :D

Oh, edit:
I did recieve a very aggressive armbar as a fresh-ish whitebelt in my first tourney, which hyperflexed my elbow, which took weeks to fully heal.

Badly sprained ankle when it got caught under a guy - this is the only really bad injury I've had from BJJ, thought it was broken when it first happened. Hospital, X-rays, physio, the whole deal. Out for 6 weeks or so.

Fractured ring finger - didn't even realise it at the time, heh. Thought it was just jammed/sprained. By the time I finally went to the doctor it had healed pretty well and there was nothing more that they could do. It's slightly stiff these days and will probably stay that way but hey, it's a ring finger.

Put my back out a few times - nothing too serious, had to take a few days off here and there.

Bit of cauliflower ear - don't mind this because I think cauliflower ears look cool.

I'm older than most but have only been training a little over a year.

Broke two ribs rolling out of turtle position whilst dragging my opponent over with me, they just sort of compressed with his weight (we were both ultra heavy)

Broke a metatarsal in my foot whilst being foot swept, sort of rolled my toes under my foot & put my weight down on it, heard an almighty crack - the tendon pulled the end of the bone off.

After this decided to start taking calcium supplements due to having cut down on dairy and the amount of coffee I drink.

Knee sprain (messy tai otoshi by a noob) and yesterday this knee got hyperextended during my paulista pass. feck, i want to be an octopus

I heard from Bill Simmons that the warranty on your body starts to run out when you hit 40... but I think for BJJ guys 30 is the number. That's when I started noticing it taking me a LOT longer to recover, and little nagging injuries start taking a while to heal.

Wrist sprain from a wicked wrist lock.. I got caught in the same thing 2 times in a row and now I never use my wrist.. only forearm to create space.. good lesson. Took me about 2 months to get to 90%.

Sprained elbow from an armbar I didn't see coming. One moment I'm in my partners guard, the next my elbow is caught and being clamped down on... and my other hand is stuck! Takes me a second or two before I realize I can verbally tap!

It's probably worse for my training now, but once I feel like I'm close to being submitted, I just tap.. I don't even look for the escape.

4 broken toes, 2 broken ribs, partial tear of elbow mcl, and most recently a chunk of cartilage torn off the back of my knee cap. i was out 3mo over that one and i'm just getting back to the mat now.

getting old sucks!

cauliflower ear, took a week or so before i could roll without headgear, had it drained a few times.

i pulled my groin when doing the pendulum sweep, out for a month.

Tore some ligaments in my shoulder, needed 6 weeks.

Partner had my leg as I was trying to stand, pulled it close and shot in and our full body weights hit full force the top of my right shoulder. The cracking noise was so loud I thought I broke my clavicle.

Four lateral meniscus tears, two in each knee. Causes range from applying too much pressure to a triangle to a toehold generated by having my feet crossed in half guard while my partner tried a violent knee-through pass. I got surgery for all four. One of them required a reconstruction of the meniscus rather than excision. Cumulative time off the mat about 14 months over three years.

High ankle sprain, achilles tear, interior ligament tear on my right ankle from having a guy fall on it.

Calf tendon tear, and lcl sprain from a guy powering out of my calf slicer.

Torn Rhomboid doing a shitty double leg.

Elbow tendonitis from an arm bar pop.

Broken fingers and toes, but no a lot of cauliflower ear and I've been at this 7 years now.

Let's see, the ones I can remember:

Herinated discs-Neck
Broken Nose
Cauli ear (painful sleep for a LONG time)
black eyes
bit tounge and cut a HUGE gash in it
split lip (like really split)
jaw injury....probably slightly dislocated but never went to Dr....couldn't chew/eat right for a long time
shoulder injuries....R-shoulder=2 surgeries (rotator/labrum) L-shoulder=1 surgery(labrum)
broken fingers (at least 4...one multiple times...doesn't bend)
cracked rib
bruised rib
torn intercoastal muscle
herinated back
pinched nerve in back/spasms in back muscle (very painful)
torn groin (perhaps the most painful and persistant injury---good for learning to play open guard)
blown out knee-ACL/PCL/Tendon=surgery
rolled ankle
torn pec (not really from BJJ but the workout befor---doing the rings/iron cross)

I'm sure there is more. But I've learned to go much slower and be more technical due to the fact that my body would hurt so bad.

Some of them were from training hard....some from training stupid....some from training hurt....some from training with retards.....some from being a retard.

Back