The BJJ Injury Thread

zlevflnuggets

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
BJJ may be the gentle art but that does't keep most of us from getting hurt now and then. What are some grappling related injuries that you have experienced? List your injury, how it happened and the amount of time it took to recover and get back on the mat. Here is my contribution and motivation to start this thread....
About a week ago my neck felt sore after the first roll in training. I managed to get through the practice but over the next 2 days the pain grew so severe that I ended up in the emergency room. Turns out I have a herniated disc thats pushing up against my c7 nerve causing lots of pain, numbness and muscle weakness in my right arm. After a cortisone shot and some acupuncture appointments I'm starting to feel a lot better but I'm looking at around 6 weeks until I can train again.

Guy had knee on belly, I turned to do the running escape,forgot to block the knee so he just followed and bared down his weight on his knee into my ribs. Heard a rib pop, kept going though. Afterward, it really started to hurt. Didn't go to the doctor as I knew it wasn't cracked but still had to take 2 weeks off.

had my arm hyper-extended hard during an armbar and it wasn't right for a little over a month

other than that, just the usual lumps and bumps

I currently have a rib injury right now, and it sucks. I took an accidental knee about 2 weeks ago, and I decided to go back to class only 2 days later and ended up hurting it even more by rolling. Sucks. I'm hoping I can return back soon though.

Had the rib thing a couple times. Hasn't happened again since I started doing serious strength training.

Tore a tendon in my pinky finger somehow during a competition match. Needed surgery to reattach it.

Torn meniscus in my left knee but it doesn't bother me enough to need surgery.

General joint issues, either from abuse over time or an acute injury like waiting too long on an armbar or kneelock :(. Being stubborn hurts :icon_excl

Other than that, does staph count?

I'm extremely paranoid of any pimple, pimple type thingy, bump, red spot, anything that appears on my body now. Its sad, but I've had staph twice and it's something I do not want to continue dealing with over and over. And, with staph you're gonna probably need antibiotics and to stay off the mats for ATLEAST two weeks.. Really blows.

I was out for three months because of MRSA, have had the same ankle broken by a toehold, heel hook and straight ankle.

Pinched nerve in neck and lower back. Separated rib. Knee strain and ankle sprain.

Good times.

I've had fluid on my left knee twice, torn my MCL, have too much cauli on my ears to wear earphones without them falling out, chipped three of my teeth, sprained my wrist badly a couple of times, tore my calf muscle. I've also had Molluscum Contagiosum and had minor staph infections on my knee before.

Sounds like some of you guys just need to let the ego go and tap when someone has you in a submission in the PRACTICE room.Pride cometh before the fall, or something like that.

Oh and to add to the topic I broke my toe last month.

-Popped both elbows a few times
-Sprained my foot (couldnt walk properly for a few days ..)
-Had a freak injury when a guys lapel rubbed across my eye and infected it. It was nearly swollen shut for a few days.
-And the usual stuff .. mat burns , accidental elbows or knees , busted lip etc ...

I love BJJ :D

Broken nose from a stray elbow, tore a ligament on my thumb posting on the mat, knee bursitis, and most recently a hyperextended elbow from letting a noob drill an armbar from back control on me.

-Broken a few fingers doing judo
-during my first nogi match at a naga event my opponent incorrectly applied an americana and completely shredded a ligament in my elbow and i ended up needing reconstructive surgery. i didnt even feel it during the day cuz i competed still in my gi division. i was out almost a year.

tore ligament right off of the damn bone in my right elbow back in 2006. required surgery. It was from a shoulder lock of some sort. I don't even remember any more.

My knee just popped on friday after my foot got stuck in the guys gi when hitting an elevator sweep from butterfly / seated guard. I think it's an MCL sprain but don't have an MRI at this point to know for sure. I'm sure there's been other stuff since 2006 but nothing really significant though probably at the time I whined and bitched about whatever was tweaked.

There's two things. There's hurt and there's injured. When you're injured you stay home and rest up... Get well. When you're hurt you kind of suck it up and just work around it. There's a fine line between the two and knowing the difference is key. I'm taking a bit of time off to let my knee heal.

-Broken a few fingers doing judo
-during my first nogi match at a naga event my opponent incorrectly applied an americana and completely shredded a ligament in my elbow and i ended up needing reconstructive surgery. i didnt even feel it during the day cuz i competed still in my gi division. i was out almost a year.

Maybe you sould have tapped ?? :icon_cry2

Torn the rotator cuff of my right shoulder from a Americana my first month of training. Guy didn't have my hips controlled so I shrimped out but he cranked it before I escaped. Finished the roll and knew something wasn't right. Right where my delt, bicep, and pec meet in the rotator cuff it was torn. Out a month and hasn't been the same since.

Bruised the musculo-skeletal tissue on my sternum 3 weeks into training, had to take 2 weeks off.

I have had a shoulder issue since late October. FInally decided to go to physio and found out i have a small tare in my roatator. Not a big deal, do some physio get some massage treatment and I am good. Don't even have to stop bjj, just can't go consecutive days and cannot compete till mid feb.

Back