1. Monday Downtime - All Evolve Media Sites will be undergoing maintenance Monday March 30. This will occur during a window of 7 PM (Pacific Time) to Tuesday afternoon. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The BJJ ego, how silly we can be

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by CrazyN8, Apr 11, 2019.

1. CrazyN8

CrazyN8 Custom Title

So I hurt my toe and as such I got to morning class today with a simple goal. Id roll with whoever and let them get position and just play defense. Im a purple and most everyone in the morning class is blue and under, so its a solid strategy to improve defense and let them get some work in.

So, I knew my gameplan, knew it might get me submitted and frankly I am ok with this, however I did get submitted once by a blue belt that I let pass my guard and get decent baseball choke grips in before i started defending.

Now why the hell am I replaying this instance in my head and wondering if he will be walking around all day grinning cause he submitted a purple? Man, ego is a trip, no matter how hard you try sometimes it just sneaks in. What say you fellow sherdoggers, does your ego get the better of you sometimes even though you know it shouldn't?

Solidus Snake, cugnao and D Train like this.
  2. D Train

D Train Gold Belt

Of course. We are human. But if that blue belt has a good head on his shoulders, you may have helped him more than you think. Presumably he knew what he wanted to do and was able to execute even though you intentionally gave up position. You don’t think that fired him up? I bet that dude is in the gym training twice as hard today because he got a taste and wants more.
    Did you know that male lions roar in “pain” when their cubs bite them because it encourages the cub to be aggressive?

3879, panamaican, cugnao and 5 others like this.
  3. Quebec Nick

Quebec Nick Purple Belt

What you did is a great way to improve, you can't just play your A game all the time and smash people that are not as good as you.

You just have a problem with someone lower than you in the ranks will believe that they are better than you because they tapped you. First, most guys will understand by themselves that something was off, and they won't make a big case about tapping you if they can't even pass your guard most of the times.

I tap one of my best friend about once or twice a month the gym and he's way better than me, most of the times that it happens it's after some crazy sweep attempts that he tries for the first time and that leaves him open for a pass. Then I pass the guard and, on a good day, I manage to tap him.

If my friend was using is A game, there's almost no way that I pass is guard, he would use one of his regular sweeps, pass my guard and tap me. So I don't really make a big case about tapping him from time to time.

TriangleMonkey, 3879, cugnao and 2 others like this.
  4. jimglynn

jimglynn Orange Belt

When I roll with a lower belt I I want them to tap me, but is has to be correctly executed technique. For example- If they work to get the RNC as long as the sequence to the finish is correct, then I will let them get there and I'll tap. However, if anywhere in the chain they make too much space, positioning, etc. I escape and submit them. I then say "everything was perfect up until( x ) mistake. We laugh and start again. Unless I am getting ready for a comp then its on.

3879, CrazyN8 and kjg1672 like this.
  5. machomang

machomang Blue Belt

I think by blue belt, you should know when a higher belt is taking it easy on you. At least I think I do.

3879, cugnao, andrewm2211 and 2 others like this.
  6. jpak

jpak Blue Belt

This
    I pretty much knew right off the bat that when I was getting good positions or subs vs a coloured belt.

Side note: it's funny when white belts don't know your going easy on them, and brag, we used to have a white belt that I'd let get positions but not subs. Then one day he got up and said he loudly should get his blue since he can control the roll(he made a lot of cocky comments) so my coach told us to roll again and for me to not go easy on him lol

7. AZ103

AZ103 Brown Belt

Best post ive read on this site in a long time. Ive been grappling my whole life and this post fired me up.

cugnao, CrazyN8 and D Train like this.
  8. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

Good topic. I'm at a big physical advantage to most guys I train with so I HAVE to handicap myself a lot of time, and if it leads to me getting tapped oh well.

What I've found also works but sends them a message too is to put one hand I my belt, or even both.

We had a brand stinking new white belt that was athletic and had a bully vibe to him. I let him work the technique from class, choke from side, but escaped because his technique was lacking. Then after the roll he was bragging how he had his way with me almost tapped me blah blah blah. I made it a point for the next few rolls to go 7.5 minutes of shoulder presh and KOB and a last minute sub.

I knew he wouldn't last and he didn't. But hey, that's my ego I guess

AZ103, cugnao, method115 and 3 others like this.
  9. jpak

jpak Blue Belt

Lol describes the white belt I'm talking about to a tee, he also didn't last

mattemate and CrazyN8 like this.
  10. CrazyN8

CrazyN8 Custom Title

I agree 100%, in fact he tried to choke me before and it was an imperfect attempt and he got nothing. I was ok with everything till I got back to my car. Actually, he did say "hey, that's the first time i've tapped you" and now that im thinking about it, that might of been what sparked my ego response.

AZ103, mattemate and method115 like this.
  11. cugnao

cugnao Orange Belt

You do an excellent job to work your defense area, no worries to get submitted by a lower belt due to a timing issue and your partner took the opportunity. Me too as a purple when I want to improve my passing game and I struggle against a big blue belt who outweights me more than 40lbs and has dramatically improve his guard game. Instead I congratulate him for defending well, as well I already tapped against younger and far more athletic blue belts but they have more years of training than me and a slight error you can get submitted. I remember a visiting black belt in his late forties who regularly visits as got submitted twice by a young blue belt in the same round and got mad until my professor told him to calm down and to stop rolling. But everybody has his bad days.

12. cugnao

cugnao Orange Belt

It's more about answering a lack of respect from an arrogant white belt and you reacted well

mattemate likes this.
  13. AnotherOldGuy

AnotherOldGuy Brown Belt

Whenever I wonder about something like that I remember watching Nic Gill (bronze and silver medal at 100 kg in Olympic judo and now Canada's national team coach) being 'thrown' around in randori by fifteen year old kids (some of whom barely weighed 100 pounds let alone 100 kg). I'm pretty sure he'd tell you that part of coaching and even being a good teammate is 'giving' people techniques if they're done right -- and if they want to believe they really got it then its fine, it might help their confidence. Rolling and randori shouldn't be confused with competition.

Similarly, I scrimmaged against Daniel Igali (Olympic gold medalist in freestyle wrestling at 69 kg) at a seminar he gave, and anyone watching would tell you I was 'holding my own'. The reason for that was of course that he was in coach mode. Mind you I was very aware of how exactly how easy he was taking it on me. However, if I'd been stupid enough to suggest I was holding my own against him in a serious match, he almost certainly would have laughed and written me off as a fool, the same way he'd laugh it off if I told him I thought the earth was flat.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    CrazyN8 likes this.