The biggest superstars the UFC ever had were Kimbo/Brock.

People laughing at Kimbo dont remember how popular he was with all the youtube videos.

I watched most of his youtube vids BEFORE he ever thought about the UFC. I remember very very well. He was a more talented Tank Abbot with 'some' counter punching ability, but couldn't ingrain all the more modern MMA counters. It was an experiment to see if a talented guy could learn enough MMA in a few years to compete at the top.

Chuck was doing 600k -900k before mma went mainstream.. Pretty big when you put it into perspective of todays numbers being half that and all the added exposure

What ever happened to Kimbo??? Lol he may not have been the best mma fighter but he was very entertaining. I enjoyed the stupid things he said even though they made no sense. He was kind of a superstar. I would much rather watch a fighter whos "training" came from betting money on bare knuckle fighting than a p***y wrestler with no striking whos only gunna lay ontop of somebody. The Ufc is the ultimate FIGHTING championship not the ultimate wrestling championship. With that being said I would still rather see Brock doing fake wrastlin and Kimbo in Dadas backyard than either in the Ufc.

Brock was amongst the biggest stars....Kimbo didn't have much impact.

The biggest star of the UFC is Dana egomaniac White! He spends more money promoting himself than the fighters!

that's because the ufc is more into promoting the ufc brand name than they are individuals.

rousey gets a push because it helps them promote women's fighting.

The whole shamrock/kimbo thing blew him up big.. Then the Nelson fight, and my god the Alexander fight.. He was more established outside the ufc

No, it was 5.7 million. Kimbo vs Thompson on CBS did 7.2 million and remains the MOST WATCHED MMA EVENT IN AMERICAN HISTORY.
http://www.cagepotato.com/good-to-know-the-20-most-watched-mma-fights-in-us-history/
this is a few years old so it doesnt have the UFC on Fox ratings, but you can compare against this:
UFC-on-Fox-13.png

and see how pitiful the state of MMA in America is. Well not just America to be fair as its dead in Japan and failed to gain momentum in Europe. Maybe still big in Canada?

UFC on FOX 1 peaked at 8.8 million and I've never seen Kimbo vs Thompson above a 7 million peak.

I watched most of his youtube vids BEFORE he ever thought about the UFC. I remember very very well. He was a more talented Tank Abbot with 'some' counter punching ability, but couldn't ingrain all the more modern MMA counters. It was an experiment to see if a talented guy could learn enough MMA in a few years to compete at the top.

Tank Abbott was more talented, I think. He also had some wrestling background IIRC.

I dont think kimbo was the biggest but he was big. The reason guys like that are big stars is becauss the general public already know what mma fighters are. People want to see the mystiques of big bad asses fighting.

GSP was/is a bigger superstar than Kimbo will ever be, along with alot of other fighters.

that's because the ufc is more into promoting the ufc brand name than they are individuals.

rousey gets a push because she's a goodlooking blonde chick and Zuffa are aiming for casual fans, a large number of whom will tune in to watch good looking girls writher around with each other - see WWE Diva Calendars etc..

Fixed.

I'm still convinced Houston threw his fight against Kimbo but Kimbo was so bad that he couldn't even finish him.

I don't think Kimbo was really that big of a star :icon_lol:

Short term one off viewer ship pulling? Perhaps.

Long term biggest stars?

Anderson, GSP, Chuck, Randy, beat them by a landslide in the grand scale of things.

Back