The biggest individual sport it is Tennis ? How far is MMA from that ?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Metallicalabran, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Metallicalabran

Metallicalabran Don't be scared homie!

Team sports ALWAYS gonna be bigger than individual sports because in team sports people follow the club, Real Madrid, Manchester Utd, etc.

Boxing is here CENTURIES ago, and never has been mainstream, because obviously its an individual sport.

It is Tennis the biggest individual sport today ??? Is that the roof to MMA ??? or was boxing ?? what is the biggest UFC can grow in the mind of Ferttitas and Dana White ??? (World Fucking Domination ?)

This definitions are because are useful for the thread are just tentative:

MY DEFINITION OF TEAM SPORTS: The one people follow because the club (Real Madrid, Lakers, Dallas cowboys, etc) Player come and go, but fans are always supporting the team no matter what, so fan base always grows and mantains stable.

MY DEFINITION OF INDIVIDUAL SPORTS: People follow the NAME (Federer, Tyson, Anderson Silva) if the player retires, maybe the fan is gone forever of follows the sport much less, so fan base is unstabble, huge at one moment and small in the other.

PD: I dont fucking know if F1 fans follows Ferrari or Fernando Alonso, Mercedes or Hamilton. (so, dont know if a team sport or individual, lol)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  2. DrDangles

DrDangles Purple Belt

Golf is bigger.

See the PGA money list and compare it to the ATP. Its not close

I know golfers can play more due to it being less physical, but I do believe more people watch golf.

3. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

4. KhabibTheBeagle

KhabibTheBeagle Papi de la Sherdog

I'd say boxing is mainstream. Mainstream enough for a bunch of suckers to catch wind of May/Pac and bet me that Mayweather loses. Easy money.

5. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

YOu cant compare, they are completely different in every way

6. gspieler

gspieler Silver Belt

In terms of drawing money, it probably goes...

NASCAR
    Golf
    Tennis
    Boxing
    Mma

In terms of household names who are active in the sport, NASCAR, golf, and tennis have about a half-dozen or so each, boxing gas 2-3, and mma has Ronda.

7. Thepaintbucket

Thepaintbucket Silver Belt

Two completely different sports. Two different revenue models. The career expectancy is a lot shorter in MMA. I just don't see how you can compare the two.

8. seanb1979

seanb1979 Brown Belt

in nascar you have a big team though for your car crew

9. haraigoshi

haraigoshi flat ASS!!!

right now UFC looks like pro billiards.
    few people know about it,some aficionados follows it and most of the people doesn't know or care about it.
    IMHO ZUFFA dreams with something more like NASCAR,insane rates and big money in a small simple close organization.
    to go huge like pro tennis MMA would need to be more open,to the point of have a international regulator like ATP guiding it,never gonna happen though,the Fajitas bros want just big money not real worldwide recognition.

10. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

Every way? Please explain.

11. CurbStomp

CurbStomp Blue Belt

Was going to say, it would be really ignorant to assume a race victory is the responsibility of a single person, that's a big team effort.

However, I guess that logic could be applied to MMA/boxing as well, I don't think there's ever been a successful fighter who didn't have a sparring partner/pad holder. Honestly I think TS' original statement of "team sports will always be bigger" doesn't really mean anything; the distinction between team and individual is kind of a sliding scale

12. linvillegorge

linvillegorge Silver Belt

Golf ≥>>>>>> tennis

And agree that NASCAR isn't an individual sport.

13. linvillegorge

linvillegorge Silver Belt

Not a good analogy. The sparring partner does nothing during the actual fight. If that pit crew screws up a pit stop you're sunk.

14. CurbStomp

CurbStomp Blue Belt

cornermen do nothing? #justcoast

edit; conversely: five minutes of war. Though I get that the responsibility of a cornerman is much more nebulous than the guy who replaces a blown tire

15. bad seed

bad seed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

smh, why are youth so ignorant of history. Boxing was once bigger than every other sport in America. 70 million+ tuned into Louis vs Schmeling, back when America had a population of ~130 million. That dwarfs todays Super Bowl numbers.

Frank Kain likes this.
  16. Metallicalabran

sorry but america is just america

NFL, and baseball barely exists out of the states

we are talking worldwide

Frank Kain likes this.
  17. bad seed

bad seed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

The fight was a global event. Hitler suspended national curfews so bars could broadcast it. I dont think you comprehend the true scope of this.

btw, NFL, NBA, baseball, and boxing > soccer [or as you people call it, futbol]. Sorry, those are the facts.
    But its still better than MMA, I will admit.

18. Metallicalabran

distinction is about when a star retires people keep following because the Team.

Real Madrid vs Barcelona has been seen by million of people by decades, doesnt matter if Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi are playing, or Ronaldinho, Beckham, Rivaldo, Maradona, etc.

that way fans only grows, clubs are always there, players come and go, but Lakers are always the lakers and Cowboys (NFL) are always the cowboys.

Here in my country for example, the whole country was following Tennis, because Marcelo Rios and then because of Fernando Gonz

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  19. Xavier85

Xavier85 Blue Belt

Tennis is bigger than Golf outside the States. The likes of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Sharapova and the William sisters are way more popular than Woods and McIlroy.

NASCAR isn't even close, it's a completely American thing. I would say F-1 is third, but that's not really an individual sport.

20. Metallicalabran

Of course, but than happens once in a century.

Tennis manage to maintain his vigency and spectators across the year and decades. For sure a boxing match could be huge, but tennis has: Wimbledon, US open, Australian open, Rolan Garros every year.

Never a tennis match is huge like some of the "fight of the century" but adding all of the matches every week, they are bigger.