The biggest fight (for the hardcores) so far in UFC history

Seeing all the Pride vs UFC fights after UFC acquired Pride was pretty damn magical.

Highest skill level fight was DC vs Jones. This fight comes close.

Highest skill level fight was DC vs Jones. This fight comes close.

No way. Lightweight division has the highest skillset period. It has to do with demographics of the world population I think.

No way. Lightweight division has the highest skillset period. It has to do with demographics of the world population I think.
I agree LW is the toughest division, but Tony has 3 losses to his name. Jones vs DC had zero losses between them and they had the very best put in front of them. Up until last month DC had only lost to Jones. It was the clear 1 and 2 best fighters in the world.

I agree LW is the toughest division, but Tony has 3 losses to his name. Jones vs DC had zero losses between them and they had the very best put in front of them. Up until last month DC had only lost to Jones. It was the clear 1 and 2 best fighters in the world.

But there is not that much talent in those big weight classes compared to lightweights. The gap between Jones/DC and the other fighters is huge. To be lightweight champion is much much much more impressive than LHW or HW.

Put some respect on Matt Hammills name.

Chuck v Tito was huge af that was a like a 2-3 year build up
Fedor v Cro Cop (HW Champion vs HW GP winner)
GSP v Penn (penn as champion moving up to fight for WW title - that was a super fight)
Penn vs Hughes (penn beating hughes moving up a weight class to win the title OMFG huge)
Hughes v GSP 2 (prob not as big as v Penn but marketed as biggest in history)
Randy v Sylvia (when randy came back to win the HW title after retiring)
DC v Jones 2
Conor v Alvarez (champ champ)

just from the top of my head

every 2nd main event now days is biggest fight in history or weight class

Edit: this thread just reminded me how many biggest fights in history there have been

Chuck v Silva was fuck OFFF huge
Chuck v Rampage in the UFC was huge

This is it for me, great list.
If I have to choose it's a toss up between Chuck vs Tito or Fedor vs Cro Cop.

Biggest fight for hardcores ever was GSP/Penn.

For the newer wave of fans it's Khabib and Tony, I agree it's better we have it now than 4 years ago or whenever it was.

For the casuals it was Conor/Khabib.
meh, i've been following the sport for almost 15 years and thought khabib vs conor was pretty huge. i don't get excited for big fights as much as i did years ago, but this one got me sitting on the edge of my seat.

GSP penn 2 was ridiculous, but there have been a couple of fights of similar magnitude.

It won’t be the “biggest” fight sadly, your average casuals won’t know who Tony is because the UFC haven’t jack to promote him all those years and make him marketable for maximum viewership like they did to the others despite his successful unbeaten runs.
Tony and kabib have rabid fanbases that will sell the fight to casuals.

Chuck v Tito was huge af that was a like a 2-3 year build up
Fedor v Cro Cop (HW Champion vs HW GP winner)
GSP v Penn (penn as champion moving up to fight for WW title - that was a super fight)
Penn vs Hughes (penn beating hughes moving up a weight class to win the title OMFG huge)
Hughes v GSP 2 (prob not as big as v Penn but marketed as biggest in history)
Randy v Sylvia (when randy came back to win the HW title after retiring)
DC v Jones 2
Conor v Alvarez (champ champ)

just from the top of my head

every 2nd main event now days is biggest fight in history or weight class

Edit: this thread just reminded me how many biggest fights in history there have been

Chuck v Silva was fuck OFFF huge
Chuck v Rampage in the UFC was huge
Cro COP had not won the GP at that point. But i agree.

DC vs Jones 1
DC vs Jones 1, was elite vs elite and real BEEF!!! DC also beats his opponents more dominantly often than Tony Ferguson. we know that khabib can score takedowns on Ferguson, but we had big doubts whether jones could score a takedown on DC and if Jones was capable of avoiding takedowns of DC. Both DC and Jones were complete winners, with IMO hardly any weaknesses at the time...

It’s up there ...

Khabib vs McG
Aldo vs McG
McG vs Alvarez
Brock vs Cain
Gsp vs Nick
Anderson vs Sonnen II
Anderson vs Weidman II
Gsp vs Penn II
Bones vs DC II
Nate vs McG II

Just to name a few and put things in perspective.

Back