The biggest fight (for the hardcores) so far in UFC history

Booksmasher

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looking back arent we now all happy the previous four Khabib vs Tony fights got cancelled? We got something better instead. The two best fighters in the division will finally meet eachother on top (at least accordingly to plan). The best meets the best. Its the ultimate climax.

Already happened:

RodrigoNogueiraCoutureUFC102_1445.jpg

It's hard to look back att big fights and remember the significance at that specific point of time.

I would say that, for example, GSP - Penn II has more potential to be named as the biggest fight so far in UFC history, even after Khabib - Tony.

Last edited:
I would have rather seen it before Tony was in his mid thirties but it needs to be made nonetheless.

It's hard to look back att big fights and remember the significance at that specific point of time.

I would say that, for example, GSP - Penn has more potential to be named as the biggest fight so far in UFC history, even after Khabib - Tony.

Yes. GSP-Penn 2 indeed.

It's certainly up there. You'd also have to consider GSP-BJ 2, Jones-DC, Brock-Randy, Conor-Aldo, and Chuck-Tito.

I'm still convinced we never get Khabib vs. Tony.

Chuck v Tito was huge af that was a like a 2-3 year build up
Fedor v Cro Cop (HW Champion vs HW GP winner)
GSP v Penn (penn as champion moving up to fight for WW title - that was a super fight)
Penn vs Hughes (penn beating hughes moving up a weight class to win the title OMFG huge)
Hughes v GSP 2 (prob not as big as v Penn but marketed as biggest in history)
Randy v Sylvia (when randy came back to win the HW title after retiring)
DC v Jones 2
Conor v Alvarez (champ champ)

just from the top of my head

every 2nd main event now days is biggest fight in history or weight class

Edit: this thread just reminded me how many biggest fights in history there have been

Chuck v Silva was fuck OFFF huge
Chuck v Rampage in the UFC was huge

Last edited:
It won’t be the “biggest” fight sadly, your average casuals won’t know who Tony is because the UFC haven’t jack to promote him all those years and make him marketable for maximum viewership like they did to the others despite his successful unbeaten runs.

The hype for Silva v Liddell was huge. Those were the days

Khabib/Tony is the Fedor/Cro-Cop of the UFC.

The biggest fight doesn't feature a fighter hardly anyone but the hardcore fans know.

So no, it's not even close to being the biggest. To the hardcores it's up there among the most anticipated - but that's a different thing.

Looking back arent we now all happy the previous four Khabib vs Tony fights got cancelled? We got something better instead. The two best fighters in the division will finally meet eachother on top (at least accordingly to plan). The best meets the best. Its the ultimate climax.

But it hasn't happened yet, I won't be relieved until their are both in the cage.

The biggest fight doesn't feature a fighter hardly anyone but the hardcore fans know.

So no, it's not even close to being the biggest. To the hardcores it's up there among the most anticipated - but that's a different thing.

The biggest fight to us hardcores, not casuals

I would say that, for example, GSP - Penn II has more potential to be named as the biggest fight so far in UFC history, even after Khabib - Tony.

In terms of hardcore fan hype I'd the time I'd agree that would be my pick, maybe Shogun/Machida 2 as well.

Biggest fight for hardcores ever was GSP/Penn.

For the newer wave of fans it's Khabib and Tony, I agree it's better we have it now than 4 years ago or whenever it was.

For the casuals it was Conor/Khabib.

Back