THE BIG SHORT (Wins Producers Guild Award, Leads Oscar Race)

If you have seen THE BIG SHORT, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Pure sex in that cast

*Carrel going to have to sit this one out though

Great movie. Would watch again.

...I will secretly admit as a member of the screen actor's guild, I get most of the winter movie line-up mailed to me early in tester kits for voting purposes. It's neat, but you do get the occasional watermark.

The Big Short was easily worth a rewatch. Haven't gotten The Revenant, Hateful 8, or Star Wars mailed, but that's about it.

I happily chase down Tom Hardy in theaters at full price, though.
I REGRET NOTHING

giphy.gif

Update: January 23, 2016

THE BIG SHORT Wins Producers Guild Award, Grabs Lead in Oscar Race

The-Big-Short-Carell-Gosling-012416-Dragonlord.jpg

The Big Short has been named the best-produced film of 2015 by the Producers Guild of America, making the financial crisis dramedy the presumptive favorite in a tightly contested race for the Best Picture Oscar.

Since the Academy and the PGA expanded from five to 10 nominees, no film has won the Oscar without first winning the Producers Guild Award. (The closest thing to an exception came when Gravity tied with 12 Years a Slave at the PGA, but lost to 12 Years at the Oscars.)

The Producers Guild counts its final ballots using the preferential system, making it the only major guild to use the same system as the Oscars for its top award. In recent years, it has been by far the most reliable of the guilds in predicting Oscar success, which means that Adam McKay‘s adaptation of Michael Lewis‘ book about the housing collapse of 2008 now has a surprising leg up in its battle with Spotlight, The Revenant and Mad Max: Fury Road.

While the Paramount film won raves and garnered guild nominations after it began screening very late in the year, it lost the best-comedy Golden Globe to The Martian, and questions remained about whether the comedy-laced ensemble film had the heft to win the big awards. The PGA win answers that question in a convincing fashion.

And for Spotlight, which had won the lion’s share of critics’ awards, including the Golden Globe and Critics’ Choice Movie Award, the night had to be disquietingly similar to what The Social Network and Boyhood went through when they won most of the critics’ honors before the PGA turned the momentum in favor of eventual Oscar winners Birdman and The King’s Speech.

The award for animated feature went to Pixar’s Inside Out, while the documentary honor went to Amy. In the television categories, Transparent and Game of Thrones won for episodic comedy and drama, respectively, while Fargo was honored as the year’s best long-form TV program.

'The Big Short' Wins Producers Guild Award, Grabs Lead in Oscar Race

Man, all these shitty ass movies getting talked about for months on end and the thread for The Big Short died at post 64...

Back