THE BIG SHORT (Wins Producers Guild Award, Leads Oscar Race)

If you have seen THE BIG SHORT, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Update: January 14, 2015

Steve Carell in Talks to Join Financial Drama THE BIG SHORT

Steve-Carell-011415-Dragonlord.jpg

Steve Carell, who has already shown his dramatic chops with his acclaimed performance in Foxcatcher, is continuing his push into drama. The actor is in talks to join Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling and Christian Bale in The Big Short, the adaptation of a Michael Lewis best-seller that Plan B is producing for Paramount.

If a deal makes, Carell will join the trio, who are in various stages of talks, in the true-life drama, which chronicles multiple storylines and juggles various characters against the backdrop of housing and credit bubbles of the 2000s that led to the 2007-08 global financial crisis. Pitt and his Plan B shingle are producing Big Short, which has a script by Adam McKay. McKay is on board to direct the drama.

Carell will play Steve Eisman, a money manager who shorted subprime mortgages for FrontPoint Partners. Gosling is to play Deutsche Bank trader Greg Lippmann. Bale will portray Michael Burry, the founder of the Scion Capital and one of the people first to see the coming crisis. In a supporting role, Pitt will take on Ben Hockett, a partner at Cornwall Capital.

Steve Carell in Talks to Join Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling in 'The Big Short' (Exclusive)

If you read the book you probably have no idea how they are going to make a movie from this. A lot of stuff needs to be re-arranged and added to make it a Hollywood movie. It's about the few people who made money from the real estate crash. I thought the book was exciting as hell but a lot of people who don't like finance or that world told me they couldn't even finish the book.

Probably the same the case Moneyball I guess but they made a movie from that which people seemed to like even though I thought the book was a billion times better (it's my favorite book) and the movie was just meh

Are your serious?
He starred in Drive, the notebook, only god forgives and a lot more movies 😆

I've only heard of the notebook, haven't seen it, and never heard of the other two.

Big Short isn't about bankers. The main characters are hedge fund guys who realized that the banks were packaging crappy subprime mortgages as CDOs and shorted them to make a big buck.

Not heroes by any means, but they weren't responsible for the crash.

People who short stocks are a necessity. Otherwise, you have everyone betting that a stock will increase in value and no one has any incentive to do honest assessment of a company's outlook. It is sort of like the Emperor's new clothes. The crisis would never have happened or would have been as severe had there been more people willing to bet against the growing real estate bubble. All bubbles are the result of a dangerously optimistic outlook.

That isn't to say that shorting is the answer. There was some pretty shady stuff going on leading up to the crisis. Banks recommended customers to buy items that they were personally shorting and other ethically shitty things to hedge their losses. IMHO though, shorting is necessary to prevent over optimism.

Update: September 22, 2015

First Official Trailer for Housing Crisis Drama THE BIG SHORT

The-Big-Short-Steve-Carell-092215-Dragonlord.jpg

Paramount Pictures has released the first trailer for The Big Short. This is Step Brothers and Anchorman director Adam McKay’s first foray into drama, launching the film into the awards season race as a bit of a surprise entry.

Based on the book of the same name by Moneyball author Michael Lewis, the film follows four outsiders who saw the impending global economy collapse in 2008 and tracks them as the housing market is about to crash. While McKay isn’'t exactly known for big dramatic pictures, but for this new film he has assembled a murder’s row ensemble that includes Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, and Brad Pitt.

Bale gets to do his chameleon thing that he hasn’t done in a while, Carell gets to stretch his dramatic talents under the direction of an old friend, and Gosling and Pitt ratchet up the film’s handsomeness by a factor of infinity. Paramount apparently saw a rough cut of the movie recently and asked McKay if he could have the film completed in time for a 2015 release, to which he replied affirmatively. The studio is bullish enough on its awards prospects to release it during a very crowded Christmas holiday.

Melissa Leo, Tracy Letts, Finn Wittrock, and Hamish Linklater also star. Scripted by McKay and Charles Randolph, the film will have its world premiere as the closing film at AFI Fest and opens in limited release on December 11th before expanding wide on December 23rd.

‘The Big Short’ Trailer: Adam McKay Take on the Housing Crisis

Pitt seems very adept at changing up his appearance dramatically from one movie to another, more so then most A List stars.

Pitt seems very adept at changing up his appearance dramatically from one movie to another, more so then most A List stars.
I kinda agree, although we're talking about a film he shares with Christian Bale. While Bale gains and loses weight like D'Onofrio, Pitt's transformations are more performance based.

Pitt's a supporting character actor blessed with leading man looks. What he adds as a leading man, I'm not really interested in it. I find him more appealing when he's atypical Pitt.

Looks interesting and has a great cast, but I can't quite decipher the actual plot from the trailer despite it's 2 1/2 minute run time.

Dunno about that. He just grew his hair to shaggy mode and beard to go along with it.

Now Christian Bale..that guy is at the top of changing between roles!

Lewis puts out out quality material.

I'm in.

Update: November 23, 2015

Steve Carell Tackles Bank Fraud in New THE BIG SHORT Trailer

The-Big-Short-Carell-Gosling-112315-Dragonlord.jpg

Parmount has released a new trailer for The Big Short, director Adam McKay's (Anchorman, Step Brothers, Talladega Nights) passion project and first foray into the realm of dramatic filmmaking. Based on the best-selling nonfiction book from Moneyball and The Blindside author Michael Lewis, the film investigates the housing and credit bubble of the 2000s through the story of four economic "outsiders," played by Christian Bale, Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, and Brad Pitt, who predicted the cataclysmic consequences of the major housing and bank fraud and set out to make the big banks hurt.

McKay has made a name for himself as the writer-director of some of the best loved cult comedies of the last decade, though he’s never made a secret of his interest in economic corruption and disparity. This is the first time he’s been able to put his passion for the subject on full blast. With one of the finest casts imaginable behind him and a sense for spirited, humorous filmmaking, The Big Short has the potential to make a dreary, taxing subject palatable and engaging without becoming a bore.

The film also stars Melissa Leo, Marisa Tomei, Tracy Letts, Finn Wittrock, and Hamish Linklater. The Big Short debuted at AFI Fest earlier this month to positive critical reception, and arrives in limited theaters on December 11th before expanding wide on December 23rd.

'Big Short' Trailer: Hollywood's A-List Takes on Financial System

The Big Short was great with awesome performances by Carrell, Bale, Pitt, and Gosling. Carrell was the best in my opinion, thankfully his performance in Foxcatcher wasn't a one-off. I'd like to see him do more roles like this.

On to the movie. The movie is filmed in an amateur documentary style that may be jarring to some. I got over it during the film. It's an unflinching look at how greed and pure stupidity led to the collapse of the housing market and the 2008 economic recession. Now the film is also a comedy, but that doesn't take away from it. It does a great job of changing its tone when the moment calls for it.

If you're not familiar with banking or business terms you may find yourself lost. Thankfully the film does a good job of explaining these terms by using analogies, comedy, and surprise celebrity cameos to help the audience better understand. For example, like a certain smoking hot actress in a bubble bath.

There were a few times when I felt the film dragged in the 2nd act as it built up to the last. But the final act is phenomenal in making you feel anger and disgust towards these bankers and businessmen on how they royally screwed everything up.

I actually felt a lump in my throat after the film ended. I'd say the film set out what it accomplished with its look on the events that transpired.

The best part of this film is how it tells the story. It doesn't get political, or preachy, or morally right. It doesn't place the blame on one person or accuse anyone. It's a look on how this was the fault of everyone involved that snowballed into a nuclear explosion.

8.5/10.

This movie had a visceral effect on me.
The only other non XXX rated movies that have done this to me were Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down.
I don't think it was nearly as good as those movies, but it was very good - more so for the story than the actual telling of said story.
A must see, imo.
9/10

This movie had a visceral effect on me.
The only other non XXX rated movies that have done this to me were Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down.
I don't think it was nearly as good as those movies, but it was very good - more so for the story than the actual telling of said story.
A must see, imo.
9/10

Yeah, it was fantastic, I was riveted. The acting was superb, as was the pace of the story.

Going to watch it again tomorrow.

Back