The big issue of our time: Climate Change

I am in no way a Global Warming denier and heavily support efforts to mitigate the problem, but I honestly thought this thread was a joke. If not it sounds extremely over-dramatic.

hi Satsui Ryu,

the other question that needs answering is WHO IS PAYING these so called "scientists" at the National Academy? what left wing entity is shoveling money at this entity so they mouth leftist rhetoric regarding the "grave threat" that AGW presents?

The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) is a non-profit organization in the United States.

Members serve pro bono as "advisers to the nation on science, engineering, and medicine". As a national academy, new members of the organization are elected annually by current members, based on their distinguished and continuing achievements in original research.

Election to the National Academy is one of the high honors in U.S. science.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Academy_of_Sciences

the fact that the NAS presents its scientists as pro-bono doesn't matter. the question of who is paying these scientists off still is unanswered and makes me just plain suspicious about their motives. they seem like liberals, don't they?

- IGIT

Last edited:
Not to Hijack the thread, but what if instead of framing this as "Climate Change" or any other Hipster Catch Phrase, (I'm not even accusing K-threadstarter of being one), we frame it around:

POLLUTION & TRASH

I mean look at this shit!

coastal_pollution.jpg

plastic-bottles-pollution-24M1910-07D.jpg

contaminaci%25C3%25B3n%252820%2529.jpg

Pollution-global-warming-prevention-738368_700_467.jpg

trashy-yard.jpg

Now whether you're a rich motherfucker, or a poor motherfucker, you don't have to go around being a TRASHY MOTHERFUCKER!

I dare say, instead of our First Lady fiddle fucking around, telling people what they can eat, when and how much, it would go a lot further, and do a lot better if she'd use some of that power and influence, to tell them to quit being such trashy, nasty-ass bitches.

Americans, (Fucking Texans) are horrible about this. Bunch nasty motherfuckers. throwing garbage out up and down the highway. Treating every place they go like some shit hole that someone else is going to clean up.

Fuckers need to stop being messy and pick that shit up.

Look at any convention, or parade, or ballgame. It doesn't have to look like a hurricane hit when its over. People could start having some dignity and taking some responsibility.

That'd be a start.

If our leaders can be anything they can be role models. I'd love to see some public service announcements by Obama, reminding people, to have a little pride and dignity as human beings and stop being Nasty!.

Start changing the outlook and maybe we'd have a chance.

no one over 60 is likely to see the effects, so they just will not care. and they turn out to vote, so it isn't a good platform.

hi 7437,

people who are 20 will probably have a few loose marbles rolling around in their noggins when the so called "dire consequences" of AGW visit our coastal cities - and even then, the impact of AGW will probably be so gradual that there will be ways to explain it away.

it's just hard to get energized about something that's not going to significantly affect anyone's life here on Sherdog. most americans don't see AGW as a big deal.

scientific alarmism aside, i think most of us trust advances in technology to address this "crises".

- IGIT

no one over 60 is likely to see the effects, so they just will not care. and they turn out to vote, so it isn't a good platform.

No, voters over 60 have been hearing about it since their 20s, and know its bullshit.

And statistically, the percentage of younger voters don't consider it much more important either.

No, voters over 60 have been hearing about it since their 20s, and know its bullshit.

And statistically, the percentage of younger voters don't consider it much more important either.

Thanks gramps, worlds looking up. No long term problems here. Your generation has done an awesome job.

http://climate.nasa.gov/
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/trsum/
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/05/unemployment-statistics-age-divide-recession

At least you wont be alive to see it though.

Thanks gramps, worlds looking up. No long term problems here. Your generation has done an awesome job.

http://climate.nasa.gov/
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/trsum/
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/05/unemployment-statistics-age-divide-recession

At least you wont be alive to see it though.

I'm 30, grew up in the elementary public school social programming of Captain Planet and DARE.

And yep, older folks didn't do that bad in the recession, their houses are all paid for and careers established. While we younger folk were fucked. Thank you, Bush. And Thank You, Obama.

Using computer models to predict the future based on current information isn't science, sorry.

It isn't falsifiable except by just waiting. Until the appointed time comes, it allows those making the claims of gloom and doom to remain free from the main tenet of the scientific theory.

I think it would be really helpful if you (and other posters) actually read the studies. They explain all the reasons why they conclude the way they do. Just because they use computers to crunch data doesn't make their science invalid. If you have something specific to object to please do.

Not enough to do anything. Might get some lip service. You dont see the elderly trying to reform social security. or help the enviroment. or pay down the national debt. or deal with youth unemployment. or literally anything that will affect people 30 years from now.

Maybe you're right. Perhaps the danger needs to be more imminent before we do anything about it.

What's the solution, other than "vote for democrats"?

No you're right. We should look to the right to support and vote for laws that fight climate change. You know, the party that denies it's even a problem and believes the science is liberal sorcery.

Now that I'm done joking are you asking for scientific solutions? Or course law makers are going to have to play a big role, no?

Maybe you're right. Perhaps the danger needs to be more imminent before we do anything about it.

hi KPT,

either that, or the effects need to be more acute and sudden.

AGW is too gradual to really worry too much about.

- IGIT

hi KPT,

either that, or the effects need to be more acute and sudden.

AGW is too gradual to really worry too much about.

- IGIT

Funny how those who distrust science seem to have difficulty with anything that that isn't immediately testible. Evolution, geology, etc.

realistically there is very little that can be done holistically at this stage. The reason being is developing natiosn just don't give a fuck about anything other than themselves. China pollutes the shit out of everything, we see smog warnings where the elderly and children need to stay inside the house, you think they are going to drop emissions? They are bringing a coal power plant online every week.

Until everyone gets on board we cannot affect a change in mindset.

Funny how those who distrust science seem to have difficulty with anything that that isn't immediately testible. Evolution, geology, etc.

hi KPT,

well, the future is always sort of an abstract thing...hazy and distant. most conservatives i know believe in things like gravity. they believe that fire burns things. basic stuff like that - so its not fair to just label the right as "anti science".

evolution and AGW are just murky topics.

oddly enough, most conservatives also believe that a man died and came back to life and produced a COSTCO sized warehouse of fishes and loaves, magically.

it's all very confusing to me.

- IGIT

hi KPT,

well, the future is always sort of an abstract thing...hazy and distant. most conservatives i know believe in things like gravity. they believe that fire burns things. basic stuff like that.

evolution and AGW are murkier.

oddly enough, most conservatives also believe that a man died and came back to life and produced a COSTCO sized warehouse of fishes and loaves, magically.

it's all very confusing to me.

- IGIT

Lol. What is confusing to me is the idea of a magical man in the sky who is all knowing and all powerful created everything is plausible, but using the scientific method using data and evidence to discover natural laws is something to be distrusted. Makes total sense lol.

So lets make it an issue... What are some legitimate actions we can take... That we haven't been working on the past 40 years or so. As technology improves we have been getting better and better at curbing pollution.

As a whole people have been more and more aware on environmental impact... Through LEED design, removal of the usage of cfcs and cafe standards for automobiles.

Why the alarmist attitude? Sure we can and will do better over time.

I think that any politician who runs on the "Climate change is a hoax" platform should be prosecuted for treason.

So lets make it an issue... What are some legitimate actions we can take... That we haven't been working on the past 40 years or so. As technology improves we have been getting better and better at curbing pollution.

As a whole people have been more and more aware on environmental impact... Through LEED design, removal of the usage of cfcs and cafe standards for automobiles.

Why the alarmist attitude? Sure we can and will do better over time.

Did you read the report in the OP or any one of several similar reports?

Did you read the report in the OP or any one of several similar reports?

I did, and I stand by my comment.

In the meantime, we can take some personal responsibility and plant more trees and take advantage of all that CO2 in the atmosphere.

kpt, your heart is in the right place, but you are a political dunce if you think candidates or the party as a whole should put this front and center and begin campaigning and running elections based on it. Pretty much what Diamond Jim says, you get votes by convincing people you can help them with their situation and lot in life - not things like climate change that half your voters will never be around to see.

I get what you're saying, and it is true(that political candidates will not seriously consider this until it is right before them). However, ALL of their voters should realize that they're already seeing climate change, however they are just too hopelessly stupid to see it.

I did, and I stand by my comment.

In the meantime, we can take some personal responsibility and plant more trees and take advantage of all that CO2 in the atmosphere.
So you think the consensus of scientists are exaggerating the implications? And they're just wrong in that they don't think we are doing nearly enough?

Back